Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Female Circumcision in Sudan and Egypt

CaN I CrY

CaN I CrY

Turkey

Todoy i entered a semposium in an University..And I was one of teenager that talked about Human's Right.

My subject was about Iraq and USA.. So i didn't search other countries…

There was a group there, talked about Human's Right in SUDAN…(the most developing country in Africa)  (!!)

They talked about something that i have never heard before… It is >> Female Circumcision

When i heard them, I really felt myself too terrible and upset..

Owww Nothing can be worse than this… Any of human can't do it with a peacefull heart.. :( I am sitll in shock now.. :S

And i wanna share them with you..

_____

Female Circumcision in Sudan

Female circumcision—also known as female genital mutilation—is widely practiced in some parts of Sudan.Information about attitudes toward the practice, the reasons why women support it and the social and demographic predictors associated with support for it are needed for development of eradication strategies. .

Methods: In a survey on reproductive health, approximately 1,000 ever-married women were randomly selected in each of three areas—Haj-Yousif and Shendi in the north, where female circumcision is widely practiced, and Juba in the south, where it is relatively rare. Interviewers collected data on the prevalence of the three types of circumcision, their social and demographic correlates, women's attitudes toward the practice and their perception of their husbands' attitudes.

Female circumcision is not associated with any one religious group. It is practiced by Muslims, Christians, Jews and members of indigenous African religions.

Female circumcision is often performed by lay practitioners with little or no formal knowledge of human anatomy or medicine. In most cases, the operation takes place under unhygienic conditions and without anesthesia or sterile instruments.

Circumcision can have many immediate and long-term consequences. These consequences vary considerably by the type and severity of cutting, with the most serious complications associated with infibulation. The immediate consequences include difficulty in passing urine, urine retention, hemorrhage, infection, fever, stress and shock and damage to the genital organs.

Over time, circumcised women may also develop menstrual complications, vulvar abscesses, obstetric complications, urinary tract infections, chronic pelvic infection and low fertility or sterility. In addition, female circumcision, especially infibulation, may make intercourse per- functory or even painful.

Despite these grave risks, its practitioners look on it as an integral part of their cultural and ethnic identity. In societies in which few women remain uncircumcised, problems arising from female circumcision are likely to be seen as a normal part of a woman's life and may not even be associated with circumcision

Look http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/2707101.html for most information

11:34 AM Dec 05 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

sunay

sunay

Turkey

I wonder where the members of ebaby are who live in countries and are be able to make comments on that topic. In my opinion they are so busy in mind with their religion and have no eyes to see the realty. To die for a imagination is more worth than to fight to stop such practising of female circumcision.

06:01 PM Dec 07 2008 |

spontan

spontan

Germany

yes some girls die really, or lose their speech,their trust and their ability to love….the holy tradition is called Pharaoh cut..the girl  lies in the corner in her own blood, with cruel pain,the adults celebrate a traditional party…

most people who practice girl circumcsion  are believers, i ask me, why cut they away what god create for feelings and love.

01:28 PM Dec 08 2008 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

@sunay 

I wonder where the members of ebaby are who live in countries and are be able to make comments on that topic. 

The person who you talk about is not turning up mate, trust me…....... the person might be searching for articals on how many converted from religion A to religion B

But FGM has got nothing to do with any religion. 

01:35 PM Dec 08 2008 |

KarenZ

KarenZ

China

It hurts every time it came into sight and into my mind. It reminds me of foot binding that came all the way from Feudal China up to the early 1900s. It's hard to imagine how much pain women have to undergo in some corner of the world, in some period of the human history…Thank God women are proven to have 8 or 9 times resistance to pain than men :')

This is the kind of shoes that their feet should wear.. around 3 inches long:

02:17 PM Dec 08 2008 |

Nasim

Nasim

India

Honestly government is responsible for everything. And except three four countries are there any country in Africa with an authoritative government. And in fact government cant do much when the people wish so and the society is so much male dominated. Even though there are laws and they are enforced this will continue secretly. The people have to be taught and more importantly women who have suffered should come forward.

03:16 PM Dec 08 2008 |

lilimira

lilimira

Algeria

things change only when  people are aware and real strugles are led.education is a way and injecting new ideas in those society is another.the whole matter should be studied accurately and changing people's convictions is not an easy job.it needs too much time and efficiency.i'm not surprised a well educated woman stills thinks like that.sometimes we just listen to our mother and don't check after her beliefs.women should stop playing the role of victims to make a change.if they are really victims of a male society in some parts of africa,they are not in others and they have the arrogance to agree with all what keeps them in jails.what shocked me is not only the practise but also the way they do it in those areas,it's far from being igienic and healthy.this is a real fight for the modern world to enter!

04:46 PM Dec 08 2008 |

spontan

spontan

Germany

Gender and girls’ education

• Over 110 million of the world’s children, two thirds of them girls, are not in school.
  • Of the world’s 875 million illiterate adults, two thirds are women.

these facts are from unicef. everybody can see which gender rules the world.and when i see the world wide government households one is by all similar…the military household is always higher as the household for education and health ...the old man likes to protect their rules, their ideology, their tradition ….

poor girls,poor women…. men like to destroy…don't ask me as man why they do this…  i can't tell you… i can only assure you, i have  big allergies against old men rules !!! 

11:41 PM Dec 08 2008 |

KarenZ

KarenZ

China

It's sad to realize that, it's women's hands that did the traumatic damages to women themselves…How could they not feel the pain they caused to those girls?...

Sincerely believe education WILL make a difference.

05:29 AM Dec 09 2008 |

MarocLady

MarocLady

Germany

i think the goverments in these countrys, where this cruel crime happens, aren´t able to change it…NGOs have to do more for information campaign and everybody who is able to help, should help! moreover, those who think that it´s a religious ritual should be warned by religous leaders in their countrys, because it´s not!

Can I Cry,

the pics make me cry and angry…

03:25 PM Dec 09 2008 |