Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

the theist-atheist scale (does god exist?)

gkisseberth

Germany

There have been a number of threads here asking if people believe in God. This question kind of presumes that the only answers can be yes or no, but I don't think most people are so absolute in their believe. So lets look at it in terms of probability. How sure are you about the existence or non-existence of God? I will use the scale described by professor Dawkins.

On Page 50 of 'The God Delusion' Richard Dawkins sets up a scale of probability for the existence of God.

1 is 100% certainty in the existence of God and 7 is is 100% certainty in the non existence of God.

1.00: Strong theist. 100 percent possibility of God. In the words of C.G. Jung, 'I do not believe, I know.'

2.00: Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. De facto theist. 'I cannot know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there

3.00: Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. Technically agnostic but leaning towards theism. 'I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.'

4.00: Exactly 50 per cent. Completely impartial agnostic. 'God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.'

5.00: Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. Technically agnostic but leaning towards atheism. 'I don't know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be sceptical.'

6.00: Very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist. 'I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there.'

7:00: Strong atheist. 'I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung 'knows' there is one.'   Where do you fit on the scale?   

01:28 AM Jan 11 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

gkisseberth

Germany

I put myself in the same place as Dawkins… 6 with strong leanings towards 7

so lets say 6.9

01:32 AM Jan 11 2009 |

endurereality

United States

After reading 1-7, I came to my conclusion I fall between 6/7. In the description: 

'I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there.'

I agree on.  It reminds me of Richard Dawkins 'teacup existence' analogy. Except I wouldn't say 'god' but perhaps energy, or power. or fun test~

For the record: 6

01:39 AM Jan 11 2009 |

M_honor

M_honor

Lebanon

'I do not believe, I know.'

05:16 AM Jan 11 2009 |

andilee

andilee

United Kingdom

Hi,

I think it's a Yes/No answer, either there is some supernatural entity that guides all life in the universe, or there isn't. You can't believe in a bit of a god – it's all or nothing. It's like saying, I think there's a squirrel over there, but I only believe in its foot. :-). The probability, given what we know of the unvierse and history, that there is a god is exactly 0.
So, if you ask what I believe, I believe that there is no god. Not even a little part of one. 100% 7.

So, now that we know there is no god, let's all quit worrying about what he thinks, and particularly what he thinks about anyone who doesn't believe in your version of him, and get on with enjoying life. It's the only one you've got, so make the most of it.

Andi

07:28 AM Jan 11 2009 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

Between 4 and 5 may be 4.8

But I don;t believe in religious version of God, I refuse to believe in concept of god, that so called messengers of God propogate.  God Incarnating is stupid,god sending messengers is stupid as well.

01:27 PM Jan 11 2009 |

SantiagoC

SantiagoC

Uruguay

the answers must be yes or no, I agree with andilee. And yes, I believe.

01:28 AM Jan 12 2009 |

Jinn_daniels

India

I dnt really c my place in thore options,my thnkng of god is smwht diffrnt,i thnj god is a belive so whn we r scared we’i always knw theres sm1 who’s thr 2 help n whn we r succsesful we’l knw we cudnt have done it without hm, so our feet will b grounded

05:02 AM Jan 12 2009 |

Radunagi

Radunagi

United States

As someone who hopes to be a diplomat one day, I take pride in keeping my exact religious affiliation and level of personal belief vague ^^ 

Anyway, whatever my ideology may be, I prefer to be a witness to it through my actions, not through evangelism.  

06:44 AM Jan 12 2009 |

Misaki-kun

France

obviously 7 :)

07:20 PM Jan 12 2009 |

M. Gonz

M. Gonz

Chile

OK!!

What a good topic…

My scale is 6…

You cannot disprove God as you can't with Santa!!

See ya!!

02:09 AM Mar 04 2009 |