Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

the theist-atheist scale (does god exist?)

gkisseberth

Germany

There have been a number of threads here asking if people believe in God. This question kind of presumes that the only answers can be yes or no, but I don't think most people are so absolute in their believe. So lets look at it in terms of probability. How sure are you about the existence or non-existence of God? I will use the scale described by professor Dawkins.

On Page 50 of 'The God Delusion' Richard Dawkins sets up a scale of probability for the existence of God.

1 is 100% certainty in the existence of God and 7 is is 100% certainty in the non existence of God.

1.00: Strong theist. 100 percent possibility of God. In the words of C.G. Jung, 'I do not believe, I know.'

2.00: Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. De facto theist. 'I cannot know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there

3.00: Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. Technically agnostic but leaning towards theism. 'I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.'

4.00: Exactly 50 per cent. Completely impartial agnostic. 'God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.'

5.00: Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. Technically agnostic but leaning towards atheism. 'I don't know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be sceptical.'

6.00: Very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist. 'I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there.'

7:00: Strong atheist. 'I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung 'knows' there is one.'   Where do you fit on the scale?   

01:28 AM Jan 11 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

devindernagpal

India

Gkisseberth,

For me there is no option,

I feel that only God exis in it's exisential way & we are just part of him.

To expresss my idea that we are a drop & he is like sea. there is no qualitative difference but only quantitaive difference alone.

The idea of God is certainly the creation of man.

02:27 AM Mar 04 2009 |

TAKFARINAS

TAKFARINAS

Tunisia

i am between 1 and 7

where exactly? I know, but i keep that for myself.

i beleive or not? This is a relation between me and GOD and no one has right to ask me about that. 

08:30 AM Mar 04 2009 |

Novita

Novita

Germany

But I'm open to some surprise.

10:39 AM May 14 2009 |

galia

galia

Ukraine

For me it's a kind of philosophy…. I believe in God, and it explains a lot of things in our lives that atheists can't explain (maybe because they don't think about life deeply)...

05:22 AM May 15 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

I believe in God, and it explains a lot of things in our lives that atheists can't explain 

can you give some examples? 

02:39 PM May 15 2009 |

aveuna

aveuna

Philippines

I cannot see GOD by my naked eye.

i cannot point GOD either.. but I believe in GOD,, so…. 

Logically.. it exists but only in our minds.. Innocent

01:30 AM May 16 2009 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

7:00: Strong atheist. 'I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung 'knows' there is one.'

Yeah, I am here… I am heedless, fundemantalist atheist, dont know where I come from, dont know the sense of life, dont know who I am, dont know what the life is, dont know why it exists, dont know why the universe is so orderly… etc… etc..

BUT I LIVE AND TRY TO SPREAD OUT ATHEISM because I want people be as stupid as me.. who cares about the truth..

05:03 AM May 16 2009 |

Palaluuseri

Finland

In that scale I'm probably 6.

There is only one reason why I can't be 7: there is no way to prove scientifically that a god does not exist, and that's due to the fact that theists and atheists talk about different things when arguing about god's existance. Atheism is not a religion. For me that gives this sort of scenario full of dilemmas:

1. Things that I believe can be proved scientifically. For example some galaxies or other objects in the outer space, cells and molecules – things you can't see with naked eye. If you can't prove something, you can't be 100 % sure about it.

2. If we think about god as some kind of a supernatural creature, it is something that cannot be proved scientifically, because science explores natural, not supernatural things. Supernatural things cannot be explored just because they're supernatural.

3. In science's eyes, supernatural things do not exist. (Yet, there's no way to prove it in a scientific way…)

4. Science cannot explore things that don't exist because there's nothing to explore.

5. There's no way science could prove a god does or doesn't exist.

6. Since science cannot prove that a god doesn't exist, I cannot be sure it doesn't exist: there's no proof about it.

So, I don't see why there would be a god. I need a god as much as theists need The Flying Spaghetti Monster. For me it's just imagination, a thought in one's mind. But there's nothing wrong about imagination: it helps many people get through difficult things in life. But persecuting people because they don't believe in the same thought is just simply stupid and thoughtless.

08:02 PM May 16 2009 |