Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Tips to live in America

babylon2007

Iraq

Hi guys

i love learning english and fortunately im going to live in states and happy for that.  but i neet some help about american culture and what i should know about America.

Thanks 

02:13 PM Jan 26 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Star39

Star39

Russian Federation

prepare for so-called "american smile"..

these dudes always smile no matter what.. and it doesn't mean they are happy all the time.. they just are able to hide their emotions inside..

so, even if they don't like you as person, they won't ever show that.. 

be careful)).. 

sorry guys who thinks differently, but i said what i experienced while being in States.. 

03:06 PM Jan 26 2009 |

devindernagpal

India

Dear Star39,

Did 'American smile' made you happy?

03:24 PM Jan 26 2009 |

Star39

Star39

Russian Federation

I'd say – i didn't care abt it at all)) 

03:34 PM Jan 26 2009 |

babylon2007

Iraq

ok i dont know exactly but i think Texas.

11:33 PM Jan 26 2009 |

Margaret

Margaret

United Arab Emirates

Read about that state, you should have a background about it before you live there. You have to know that state history and how people do live their life , what kind of food they eat and grow plus what are the important events that state has and so on.

Because each state is different than the other. So, it would be good to have information about the place that you will live in to know how to live that state’s climate.

Good luck. That's all what I have for now but I'm sure Nu pogodi will help you with more tips.

01:46 AM Jan 27 2009 |

babylon2007

Iraq

believe me so happy to know about Spanish i like to learn it. how lucky aim.

11:55 PM Jan 27 2009 |

ashley1989

ashley1989

Spain

Hi! I'm an American and I live in Texas. I would be happy to give anyone information on travel or living here.

03:00 AM Jan 28 2009 |

Kyle A

Kyle A

United States

They have a lot of weird laws in Texas…

04:21 AM Jan 28 2009 |

babylon2007

Iraq

weird ! such what?

Ashly thank you very much for your offer.

02:27 PM Jan 28 2009 |

Star39

Star39

Russian Federation

daaaamn)) they really are crazy.. look:

Texas Crazy Law

1. It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.
  2. A recently passed anticrime law requires criminals to give their victims 24 hours notice, either orally or in writing, and to explain the nature of the crime to be committed.
  3. It is unlawful for a person to consume an alcoholic beverage while operating a motor vehicle upon a public roadway, if the person is observed doing so by a peace officer.
  4. The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a formula for making beer at home.
  5. When two trains meet each other at a railroad crossing, each shall come to a full stop, and neither shall proceed until the other has gone.
  6. It is illegal to drive without windshield wipers. You don't need a windshield, but you must have the wipers.
  7. You can be legally married by publically introducing a person as your husband or wife 3 times.
  8. A city ordinance states that a person cannot go barefoot without first obtaining a special five-dollar permit.
  9. It is illegal for one to shoot a buffalo from the second story of a hotel.
  10. It is illegal to milk another person's cow. 

02:33 PM Jan 28 2009 |