Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

*Nowruz=New day*

reyhaneh

reyhaneh

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Hi*

Nowruz is the traditional Iranian new year holiday celebrated by Iranian & many other people in west Asia. Central Asia, South Asia, Northwestern china, the causasus, the crimea, and in Albania, Bosnia, Kosovo and the Republic of Macedonia.

Nowruz marks the first day of spring & the beginning of the Iranian Year. It usually occures March 21.

Today the festival of Nowruz is celebrated in many countries that were terriotories of, or influenced by, the Persian Empire.

Nowruz celebrated in Iran:

In Iran preparation for Nowruz begin in Esfand, the last month of Winter in the Persian solar calendar.

Khune Takouni:

It literally means "shaking the house" or complete cleaning of the house. People clean their houses & buy new clothes to wear for the new year & also buy flowers specially Hyacinth & the Tulip.In association with the "rebirth of nature", extensive spring-cleaning is a national tradition here. Nowruz holiday is twelve day celebration which families visit the elders of their family, then the rest of family & finally their friends. On the 13th day families leave their homes & picnic outdoors.

Some Nowruz celebrants believe that whatever a person does on Nowruz will affect the rest of the year. So, if a person is warm & kind to their relatives, friends & neighbors on Nowruz, the the new year will be a good one. On the other hand, if there are fights & disagreements, the year will be a bad one.

Haftseen:

Haftseen or the seven 's's is a major tradition of Nowruz. The haft seen table includes seven specific items starting with the letter 'S' in persian alphabet. The items symbolically correspond to seven creation & holy immortals protecting them. The items are:

Sabzeh_ wheat, barley or lentil sprouts growing in a dish- symbolizing rebirth

Samanu_ a sweet puding made from wheat germ- symbolizing affluence

Senjed_ the died fruit of the olaster tree- symbolizing love

Sir_ garlic- symbolizing medicine

Sib_ apple- symbolizing beauty & health

Somaq_ sumac berries- symbolizing (the color of) sunrise

Serkeh_ vinegar- symbolizing age & patience

other items on the table may includes:

Sonbol_ Hyacinth (plant)

Sekkeh_ coin- representative of wealth

Traditional Iranian pastries such as baghlava, toot, naan nokhodchi

Aajeel_ dried nuts, berries & raisins

Lit candles (enlightment & happiness)

A mirroe_( symbolizing cleaness & honesty)

Decorated eggs, ( fertility )

A bowl of water with goldfish (lif within life, & the sign of pisces which the sun is leaving)

Rosewater, believed to have magical cleaning powers

The national colors, for a patriotic touch

A holy book (e.g the Quran, Avesta, Bible, Torah) &/or poetry book (almost always either the Shahnama or the Divan of Hafez)

Sizdah Bedar:

the 13 day of the new year festival is Sizdah Bedar( literallly means thirteen to out, figuratively meaning "hit the outdoors on the thirteenth").people spend their time in picnic & at the end of the celebration on this day, the Sabzeh grown for the Hafseen (which has symbolically collected all sickness & bad luck) is thrown in to running water to exorcise the demons from the household. An other tradition associated with this day is Dorugh-e Sizdah, literally meaning "the lie of the thirteenth" which is the process of lying to someone & making them believe it (similar to April fools Day).

For more info u can check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norouz

Haftseen:

10:13 PM Mar 12 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

mahsa63

mahsa63

well done my friend ,Happy new year

I hope u and your family and all of my freinds in this site realy  have a better year than this last year.

10:30 PM Mar 12 2009 |

reyhaneh

reyhaneh

Thank u dear Mahsa ;p

I hope u have graet New year, too full of Happiness ;D

10:46 PM Mar 12 2009 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

Happy new year to all Indians(Ugadi, Gudi padwa, Baisaki, Novroz) and Iranians(Novroz)

05:12 PM Mar 13 2009 |

_jaedeN_

_jaedeN_

Turkey

Can I Cry suppose to write smt to this post =) She probably kinda busy ;P 

07:15 PM Mar 13 2009 |

crowdmin

crowdmin

China

happy new year for iran…:)

I also enjoy goldfish:)Wink

07:29 PM Mar 13 2009 |

reyhaneh

reyhaneh

Hi guys Laughing

Thank u for ur kind msg ;p

& also I wish happy new year for everyone who celebrate this festival .

Dear tunabige:

In Iran we have Chahar-shanbe-sori wich occures in the last wednesday of year & people set fire & jump over it but as u saud some guys do bad things ;-(

01:35 PM Mar 14 2009 |

reyhaneh

reyhaneh

01:37 PM Mar 14 2009 |

reyhaneh

reyhaneh

* Happy Nowruz *

01:39 PM Mar 14 2009 |

reyhaneh

reyhaneh