Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

New Hampshire Set to Approve Same-Sex Marriage

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

BOSTON — Gov. John Lynch of New Hampshire said Thursday that he would sign the state’s same-sex marriage bill if it was amended to further protect opponents of such unions from having to take part in ceremonies celebrating them.

Legislative leaders indicated they would allow the changes, making it all but certain that New Hampshire will become the sixth state to allow marriage between gay couples.

“New Hampshire’s great tradition has always been to come down on the side of individual liberties and protections,” Mr. Lynch, a Democrat, said in a statement. “But following that tradition means we must act to protect both the liberty of same-sex couples and religious liberty.”

In its current form, the bill exempts clergy members from having to perform same-sex weddings.

The amendment proposed by Mr. Lynch goes further, exempting any “religious organization, association, or society,” as well as individuals or nonprofit groups working with or for such an organization, from having to participate.

Vermont and Connecticut used similar language in their same-sex marriage bills.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/15/us/15marriage.html?hp

---------------

What are you thoughts on this event?

09:08 PM May 14 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

gkisseberth

Germany

i agree with them to have the same rights and what they want of laws but not in our muslim countries…..

of course since there are no gay Muslims (so I've read Smile) such  law i not needed there.

02:38 PM May 15 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

There are no Gays in Iran either, according to its President.

02:39 PM May 15 2009 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

gkiss,

if there is a gay persons here, i wish from them to go there to share their friends , their demonstartion and live ( what is ur mind in Colombia) as jews gathered from every place to live in palstine by force…..don't afarid this time , will not be by force , they will gather peacfuly in ur country to live with u in peace….Wink

02:45 PM May 15 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

@osesame:

Gays gathering in an Arab country for peaceful protest?

Who are you kidding?

They'd no doubt be beaten within an inch of their lives by religious fanatics like you.

02:51 PM May 15 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

gkiss,

if there is a gay persons here, i wish from them to go there to share their friends , their demonstartion and live ( what is ur mind in Colombia) as jews gathered from every place to live in palstine by force…..don't afarid this time , will not be by force , they will gather peacfuly in ur country to live with u in peace….

There is still violence and discriination against gays in Colombia, but they have more rights here than in many places. In the large cities there are quite active gay communities. I'm sure those from your country would be welcomed. 

11:17 PM May 15 2009 |

aveuna

aveuna

Philippines

I don't think so that there is no gays in muslim countries.. :) I had watch a travel in living months ago in Mumbai. On that show, I saw gays and its role in the society where they live.. In fairness.., I can't distinguished who is real woman and not.. Hahahaha! I like their rituals in wedding parties, how they blessed the Muslim Groom and the Jew Bride….

gkiss,

Don't be too sure that there is no gay Muslims… We may not recognized them from the style of dresses that they're wearing. :) 

Saw,

We are talking about gays and not lesbians.

Nabilash,

Actually, it couldn't be a problem – just don't mind them..

Yuna,

It's really amazing… And you're right… time will come that it will be normal… normal in a society..

Elenochka,

Just like I said, gays never conceived, so how come they will have a child – biologically?

Osesame,

Thanks… 

01:00 AM May 16 2009 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

fabs,

i get a great idea will replace the peace in the rigon, if they(gays, even muslim or not, whatever) gathered in israel instead of u, jews, then plastine should bear them till they finsih from the existence, it will take 50 yrs max.Laughing...

ha, what is ur mind?Wink....

05:03 AM May 16 2009 |

daiweilan

daiweilan

China

I think everyone have ringt to love others. No matter what sex they are? As opposite sex can get married, why homosex cannot?

05:48 AM May 16 2009 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

funny… they want it here too :D oh God, what a human brain did you created!!! :D

05:57 AM May 16 2009 |

Sawdestination

Mexico

"We are talking about gays and not lesbians."

I thought it because of the picture of the main topic. It shows men and women…

"Just like I said, gays never conceived, so how come they will have a child – biologically?"

No, of course biologically no, maybe with sustitute mother or natural insemination (in the case of lesbians); Maybe that´s why they are fighting for their right to addopt a child.

03:46 PM May 16 2009 |