Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Saudi 'genie' sued for harassment

gkisseberth

Germany

Saudi 'genie' sued for harassment

A family in Saudi Arabia is taking a "genie" to court, accusing it of theft and harassment, reports say.

They accuse the spirit of threatening them, throwing stones and stealing mobile phones, Al Watan newspaper said.

The family have lived in the same house near the city of Medina for 15 years but say they only recently became aware of the spirit. They have now moved out.

A local court is investigating. In Islamic theology, genies are spirits that can harass or possess humans.

'Get out of the house'

"We began to hear strange sounds," the head of the family, who come from Mahd Al Dahab, told the Saudi daily. He did not want to be named.

"At first we did not take it seriously, but then stranger things started to happen and the children got particularly scared when the genie started throwing stones."

He added: "A woman spoke to me first, and then a man. They said we should get out of the house."

A local court says it is trying to verify the truthfulness of the claims "despite the difficulty" of doing so.

Many Westerners know the term genie from the tale of Aladdin and the magic lamp, or the 1960s American sitcom, I Dream of Jeannie.

But the BBC's Sebastian Usher says genies, or jinn, in Islamic theology can be a lot more sinister.

They are believed to be normally invisible but with the ability to assume human or animal form, and are often said to be motivated by revenge or jealousy.

There is a lingering belief in genies in the Muslim world that predates Islam, our correspondent says.

11:51 PM Jul 11 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Mrs.Doe

Mrs.Doe

United States

Ok call me weird but I believe it. lol. I read some books (Islamic books) about Genie in the past..and yes living in a secluded villa in Bali could totally make me believe in that. LOL. and in Yogyakarta..or maybe because I witness some weird stuff when I was there.

01:03 AM Jul 12 2009 |

Jack_240

Jack_240

Saudi Arabia

Miss, you're not weird. it's true. maybe no one will believe me and maybe everyone will laugh at me but i'll say it

there is a house in my town which is still under construction. they can't continue building it because of the geniie or ghosts if u wanna call it this way. and i saw that house but it seemed like any ordinary house but in the night, no one dares to go near it because of them. And everyone knows about that house in my town. 

03:06 AM Jul 12 2009 |

Mrs.Doe

Mrs.Doe

United States

Jack you make me feel better. At least I know I am not the only one who believe it ;)

03:55 AM Jul 12 2009 |

Novita

Novita

Germany

What is this court going to do with this genie? Send him to prison? Behead him? Stone him? Plug him back into his damn lamp?

07:02 AM Jul 12 2009 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

There is something called Azkar ( some verses in Quran and sayings of prayers of the prophet) recited to make u get protection from Jinn.

and also recited when sleeping to protect u from them from nightmares…...

Jinn is a creation like humans, withen them the good and the bad ones…..human and jinn will be gathered in the judgment day for account for his deeds.

so court has nothing to do with them….

08:28 AM Jul 12 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

The report is from just a few days ago, Matrix, but maybe this is not the first time it's happened. 

I read one comment from a Muslim person saying that Jinn existed before humans, but that the thought of them being something like ghosts or bad spirits is something from older Arab superstistions. 

08:01 PM Jul 12 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

That's right according to Islam the Jinn were created before man.

was there some purpose to their creation? 

Is beleif in jinn as widespread among non-Arab Muslims? 

08:54 PM Jul 12 2009 |

Novita

Novita

Germany

In Germany this kind of phenomenon is called Poltergeist like the movie! Smile

09:15 PM Jul 12 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

I imagine most cultures have superstitions about spirits of some kind, good, evil or both.

10:10 PM Jul 12 2009 |

Novita

Novita

Germany

But since fading of faith phenomenons like this cease to exist in my country.

10:41 PM Jul 12 2009 |