Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Q'uran verse -- accurate translation?

gkisseberth

Germany

in further reading about Jinn I came across this erse from the Q'uran

"I created Jinn and Mankind only in order that they might worship Me."

(Qur’an 51:56) 

other translations seem to be very much similar. Would those of you sho read Arabic sy this is a reasonably accurate translation, and would you care to comment on the meaning of the verse?

I've heard or read Christians say the same of their god, that man was created to worship him

12:02 AM Aug 03 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

gkisseberth

Germany

Yes, I understand that the belief is that man and jinn have free will and may choose not to worship God, but that the purpose for their creation seems a little selfish if you know what I mean.

12:25 PM Aug 03 2009 |

fuck your life

Germany

what quran tell us is atrue and nothing can be close to it

because it a message from allah

02:03 PM Aug 03 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

I thought of that, justic, and for God to make creatures solely for the purpose of obeying him would be like me creating a race of robots whose only purpose ws to worship me, their maker. I still call that selfish and egotistical.

03:14 AM Aug 04 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

God made creatures in roder to live and test them

the verse says man and jinn were created ONLY to worship him. The manner of worship doesn't seem to matter much to me. Creating something so it will worship you (or even in the hopes that it will) is, in my mind, a very egotistical thing.

04:10 PM Aug 04 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

First of all, you must thank the God who created you and gave you a soul

I hve no such obligation. You go ahead an submit all you want I'll pass. 

in my mind, a very egotistical thing.

does it disturb you since you dont believe in God ?

disturb, no. Just my opinion of what the verse implies about the personality of the deity. 

04:30 PM Aug 04 2009 |

zanaz

zanaz

Algeria

What a comparison between man and robot!!Sealed

08:58 PM Aug 04 2009 |

devindernagpal

India

Gkiss,

God is just joking with us,

He knows very well that where shall we go,as a crow of sea has no point to sit upon than the ship,we don't have any option but to live with the existential God.

But

we may choose our made God.

All man made Gods keep us away from the existential God ,who never speaks with words,although every word belongs to him.

God does not need our worshipping,

We just worship him to protect us out of our fears.We know that we are not going to live for ever so out of fear of death we worship him.

&

It is not sure that our prayers are heard ever & nor shall be heard.

We go on praying,go on praying but all our prayers come back after strking with our walls.

We become happy when someone joins to our group,

because

we are not caring for ourself

but keeping our eyes focused upon others what they are doing.

We do not consume our life to remove 'Jinn' from our mind but try to kill the 'jinns' of others by killing them.

10:25 PM Aug 04 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

You started by asking a translation about a verse

No, I asked if the translation was accurate. According to the replies, it seems to be.  

than you turned the subject ciritcizin and attacking God.

I pity you man.. 

I am stating my opinion of what I think the verse implies.  Yes, I think that being egotistical and selfish are negative qualities in either men or gods. So, if you want to atke that as being critical, then you're right; A god who exhibits those kinds of qualities is not one I would want to worship freely. I am not insulting those who choose to do so, and a number here have given their own opinion which is different from mine or given reason why they choose to worship such a god. You are the only one (again)  who seems to be upset about the discusson. 

Have you noticed that our friends Fabs and Arabhamid, who are polar opposites in their views and opinions, are capable of have disagreements and arguments, often very heated ones, without resorting to calling people names, implying that they are other people, feigning insult, or accusing them of being part of some grand conspiracy? You seem incapable of doing the same, but I suppose that we have to attribute that to your relative immaturity. 

10:31 PM Aug 04 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

well, justic, humble and selfless (as opposed to egotistical and selfish) would be good qualities, I think. 

04:11 AM Aug 05 2009 |