Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

The Real Meaning Of Peace

zanaz

zanaz

Algeria

There once was a king who offered a prize to the artist who would paint the best picture of peace. Many artists tried. The king looked at all the pictures. But there were only two he really liked, and he had to choose between them.

One picture was of a calm lake. The lake was a perfect mirror for peaceful towering mountains all around it. Overhead was a blue sky with fluffy white clouds. All who saw this picture thought that it was a perfect picture of peace. The other picture had mountains, too. But these were rugged and bare. Above was an angry sky, from which rain fell and in which lightning played. Down the side of the mountain tumbled a foaming waterfall. This did not look peaceful at all.

But when the king looked closely, he saw behind the waterfall a tiny bush growing in a crack in the rock. In the bush a mother bird had built her nest. There, in the midst of the rush of angry water, sat the mother bird on her nest – in perfect peace.

Which picture do you think won the prize? And why? 

01:54 PM Aug 17 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

NairooZ

NairooZ

Palestinian Territory, Occupied

02:17 PM Aug 17 2009 |

NairooZ

NairooZ

02:38 PM Aug 17 2009 |

NairooZ

NairooZ

02:47 PM Aug 17 2009 |

future1988

future1988

China

the second one,mental peace is the really peace.In our life,we always have such a experience that in a very quiet environment,people are very uneasy and try to destroy the calm atmosphere.But in a very noisy place,like big city, when you feel tired after all day work and enter little warm home,you can totally calm down and enjoy the peaceful life with your beloved families.I think that is the real meaning of peace

03:01 PM Aug 17 2009 |

ilona.vienna

China

what is peace?

peace is in our inner world.

no matter what has happened,we can keep calm.

if i am in the view of the first picture, it can make me feel peace of course.

if i am in my room but outside is the scence of the second picture, i will go to sleep in peace…. :)

but peace has another meaning,that is the antonym of war.

i love peace,against war!!!

03:32 AM Aug 18 2009 |

cupcakes

cupcakes

Malaysia

I think that the first portrait has illustrated and bring about a beautiful image or vision of peace.  

However, it is the second portrait that has superbly reflected the significance of peace with regard to the harsh, ruthless facets of the environment.   Therefore, the second portrait is a more powerful painting.  It does not only present the meaning of peace; it inspires, it reveals the truth about peace.      

03:36 AM Aug 18 2009 |

manu_wj

manu_wj

Italy

no races, no colours, no flags, just love

01:13 PM Oct 13 2012 |