Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Homosexual marriages legalized in Australia

Nasim

Nasim

India

Under the new laws, gay couples will be able to hold a legally recognised civil union ceremony in front of friends and family in the territory, which is home to the capital Canberra and the nation's parliament.

The region's legislators approved the bill, which moved by the local Greens party.

Andrew Barr, an ACT minister who is in a gay relationship, wept as he spoke in support of the bill.

"Love, trust and intimacy and commitment are found at the heart of all good relationships," Mr Barr later told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

"I'm proud that this parliament will send that signal that my relationship with Anthony is equal to any other."

The law was drafted so that it does not contravene national legislation which says that civil unions must not mimic marriage.

"We understand that this is not same-sex marriage," said Greens MP Shane Rattenbury, who drafted the bill.

"This legislation is another step along the road to full equality for same-sex couples in Australia, and we are delighted that the assembly has passed it today," he added.

However, the law could still be struck down by Australia's attorney-general, who overturned similar legislation in February 2008 on the grounds it broke national marriage laws.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/6545116/Gay-unions-made-legal-in-Australian-territory.html

[The homosexuals aren't still given the rights to adopt a child or get a child via artificial insemination.] 

07:15 PM Dec 12 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

at least i can agree with you people on ONE thing

06:48 PM Dec 18 2009 |

Mr. Pmosh

Mr. Pmosh

Dominican Republic

That is a religion point of view, but definitely is not a position a state should take. As we all know the state must be secular, if it is not the case, is not a real respectable goverment.

In addition, I've seen long terms gay couples that had raised childrens, and those childrens are totally normal (and no, they did not turned gay), wich prove that gay couples are totally able to create a solid healthy family.

P.S: The investigations made to confirm that the homosexulality is a disease are not conclusive.  If we take that as cornerstone, there are also investigations that points faith is kind of a mental disorder too, but are not conclusive either.

And no, people doesn't born being believer neither.

10:15 PM Dec 18 2009 |

♥ ~.•'Peace~Girl~ஐ•.•.

Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

If gay people are natural, just like us >>

Why God created male and female?? No created all of us males or females??

Why no pregnancy occurs in men also, as happens in women??!

Why does the religions deny this type of relationship??

------------

03:39 PM Dec 20 2009 |

Mr. Pmosh

Mr. Pmosh

Dominican Republic

Because that is the perception of religion. According to the evolution of species,  the first living things were not separated by sex and there are still many living things are not, even the macroorganism, these are reproduced by mitosis or any form of nonsexual reproduction (asexual reproduction). Sex responds to a need to increase the genetic diversity of species prosecuted for better survival of the same, not a need to have females and males.

There are actually species in which the male assumes responsibility for "giving birth" as the Seahorses, or in which males have sex male colleagues, such as dolphins.

A curious case is a fish living in reefs called Anthia. It reproduces as would any fish do, between a male fish and female fish, but if at some point the female loses the male fish, has the ability to change sex, male organs develop and completely changing its appearance.

In history, we found homosexuals since the civilization stablished.

But that's the science point of view.

If in the human beings appear people who want an individual partner of the same sex, I would say rather that is what "is not what is expected to be" instead of saying it is "abnormal" because remember nor is that your religion is the most normal in Western culture but you still would not like that we describe it as abnormal just because you do not follow a religion that if we are used to be related.

Let me remind you that a state must rule for all the citizens, not just for the majority; as you complain the swiss goverment to put a rule against the buildings that call you to pray, you found this rule unfair even knowing that Switzerland main religion is Christianity. Don't you think to forbid gay marriage is unfair too?

05:04 PM Dec 20 2009 |

Rikarduhedgehog

Portugal

Let me remind you that a state must rule for all the citizens, not just for the majority; as you complain the swiss goverment to put a rule against the buildings that call you to pray, you found this rule unfair even knowing that Switzerland main religion is Christianity. Don't you think to forbid gay marriage is unfair too?

exactly! When we think what is fair and not, we just think in our will! what about others? 

hmm now you remind me:

A girl in france couldnt wear hijab! OMG all muslims got crazy! Descrimination!

A boy wants to marry another! OMG people are against! Descrimination!

Descrimination, and racism is present in everywhere! we should break the racism and descrimination! What to you is right, to me can be wrong! but what to you is wrong to me can be right! so lets respect the decisions.

05:31 PM Dec 20 2009 |

Mr. Pmosh

Mr. Pmosh

Dominican Republic

@Rosella

d law which banns d building of new minerats is different from legalizing d gay marriage,

Actually are pretty similar, 'cause both are laws pointed to regulate a minority behavior and adaptation.

coz d first one will limit d practice of spiritual practices that wont harm anyone,

Actually the minerats annoying the non islammic people. How? because if I were a devoted Christian (as the more than 70% of Switzerland) or atheist I would be really pissed of when that thing start to call for praying while taking the 6 o'clock nap, and also ruins the fashion of the city (used to wear the old rock buildings typically European). Like if Berna were an islamic city.

This is a comment made by a swiss citizen:

minimalist

minimalist

Switzerland

"A Minaret disturbs me yes. because i know from other muslims (friends of mine) that it is a symbol of force and i know it's also used as a lightening tower but it's not necessary for their praying.

And a calling for prayer would disturb me, yes!! i was on holidays in islam countries and so i know how this sounds like and i'm sry but this also doesnt fit in and i just dont want to wake up because of a callin for prayer.

It is and they are very free here. they can pray. they can build mosques and we really tollerate almost everything they do! we're interested in imigrate em and it's great to work together with them. but not all of them are ready to work together with christians. christians and muslims should be like sisters but there are many islam people who would never agree on that. yes swiss is known to be a country of human rights and dignity, and if you want to come here you'll see that it is true. the stop of build minarets isnt against human rights or against muslims it's to set  boundaries. We accept them at all so what's the matter. we just dont want this islamisation because it's not our culture at all. we are christians in switzerland and everything is based on this!"

Nope, he doesn't look quite agree and happy with minerats. And I'm pretty sure they find it annoying 'cause after all they banned it; and you of course has the same opinion about it than Mr. Bond: "unfair" and "islamophobic". There's another word I would like to share: "HOMOPHOBIA".

while d second will affect d community 's moral & religious values as well as cause a flaw in d population of d next generations,

Is going to affect YOUR community's moral and YOUR religion's values. And the gay community is part (like it or not) of the nation, as the islamic minority in Switzerland,  so any law that threat their freedom is a threat to the country it self.

Raise my case!

07:25 PM Dec 20 2009 |

Mr. Pmosh

Mr. Pmosh

Dominican Republic

@Rickard

You hit the jackpot! That was exactly I was trying to express. Sometimes we only concerns about our wills and care a sht about others. There's a word for it, is APATHY.

I'm  not christian, but I found this image that really express what we are trying to say, and is really funny.

07:44 PM Dec 20 2009 |

Rikarduhedgehog

Portugal

@Rosella

Rape and suicide are personal choices! and they are crime! it is KILLING!!

Homossexuality is not CRIME! this time you did the wrong comparation.

@Mr. Pmosh

haha

lool

funny image!

you're right

08:58 PM Dec 20 2009 |

konstka

konstka

Russian Federation

Rape and suicide are personal choices! and they are crime!

Suicide is a crime? Never heard.

Homossexuality is not CRIME!

It depends. Somewhere it is.The laws are written by man.

The rate of homosexuals is the indicator of society illness. 

The society where state accepts homosexual marriages is deeply sick and has no future.   And that has nothing to do with the human rights and freedom.

10:06 PM Dec 20 2009 |

Mr. Pmosh

Mr. Pmosh

Dominican Republic

The rate of homosexuals is the indicator of society illness.

Who say that? The Buble Gum Chewing Encycolpeida? The Vodka Drinking Wisdom? Wich historic reference are based on? C'mon be searious.

The society where state accepts homosexual marriages is deeply sick and has no future.   And that has nothing to do with the human rights and freedom.

Of course, of  course. You know what? The same used to say ancient people about women. And to banned gay marriege has nothing to do with human rights, 'cause gay people came to this earth from the FAGx planet, and are born like Pikoro dai Maku. I mean they are no human at all, so any law that threat their freedom is not a human rigth violation.

11:28 PM Dec 20 2009 |