Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

equal in the eyes of the law

clevermonkey

China

shall i say "everyone is equal in the eyes of the law" or "all men are equal in the eyes of the law"?

06:32 AM Feb 03 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

amany7

amany7

Saudi Arabia

I think that the first one is correct but the second one it should be Man are equal in the eyes of the law

02:05 PM Feb 03 2010 |

Rikarduhedgehog

Portugal

mEn are equal in the eyes of the law

if was Man should be is not are

:)

07:56 PM Feb 03 2010 |

amany7

amany7

Saudi Arabia

you are right rikardu.

mEn are equal in the eyes of the law

here you only refer to males but  I think Clevermonky wants to refer to all human so it should be Man not men unliss he has another opinion :P

anyway I am not sure if the word Man should be followed by is or are when we use it to refer to all human ….

09:55 PM Feb 03 2010 |

otooziki

otooziki

United Kingdom

I know what you mean about using Man to mean mankind but…

Neither man is or man are would really make sense here.

Mankind is one singular whole unit. So cannot be equal to some other thing in this context. There are not two mankinds. So no equality under the law. Because there is only one of them (mankind). It just doesn't make sense.

It would be like saying Human is equal under the law. No sense. But you could say humans are equal under the law. Same as men are equal  under the law. But NOT man is equal under the law.

11:23 PM Feb 03 2010 |