Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

My name is Khan, and I’m not a terrorist

javamanju

javamanju

India

My Name Is Khan (Hindi: माय नेम इज़ ख़ान) is a 2010 Bollywood film directed by Karan Johar, with a screenplay by Shibani Bathija, produced by Hiroo Yash Johar and Gauri Khan, and starringShahrukh Khan and Kajol.[2][3] It is overseen by both Dharma Productions and Red Chillies Entertainment and will be distributed by FOX Star Entertainment

Plot

Rizvan Khan (Shah Rukh Khan) suffers from Asperger's syndrome, a disorder which makes it difficult for people to interact socially, and comes to live with his younger brother (Jimmy Shergill) in the US after their mother dies.

In San Francisco, he meets hairstylist Mandira (Kajol), a free-spirited woman who lives with her six-year old son, Sam, from a failed marriage. While Rizvan falls in love with Mandira, she too grows fond of the good-natured Rizvan. An unlikely romance later, Mandira gets married to Rizvan, and move to suburban Danville, California.

The Khans' perfect existence gets disrupted, however, after the September 11 attacks on the twin towers in New York City. The family experience bias in their community, and Sam gets involved in a tussle with a group of fellow students who beat him up in a racially motivated schoolyard fight.

Sam dies of his injuries and a shattered Mandira blames Rizvan for his death. "He died only because his name was Khan,” yells Mandira and asks Rizvan to leave her. Rizvan tries to assure Mandira that things would get better, but she tells him that as long as he remains a Khan, he would be looked upon as a terrorist, even if he persuaded the US president otherwise.

Rizvan sets out on a journey that takes him from one US state to another, following the movements of the president, for whom he has a message: "My name is Khan, and I’m not a terrorist." 

06:50 PM Feb 13 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

javamanju

javamanju

India

Even though I am a great fan of Shah rukh Khan, I want to see the film as an act of defiance against Shiva Sena (a right wing Hindu Party) . Shiva Sena is protesting against the film. 

I hope the film becomes a big success, so that parties like Shiva Sena hits the dust.  

07:12 PM Feb 13 2010 |

Mia★

Mia★

Iraq

Sounds like a great movie though with a morbid but true concept. I must watch it!

09:32 PM Feb 13 2010 |

Radunagi

Radunagi

United States

So, this movie is addressing Indian attitudes towards Muslims with a story set in America, right?  Or is it trying to address the actual American situation?

I agree with Java, I am predisposed to support this film.  My only thought about it is that they could have made the main characters Sikh instead of Muslim.  After 9/11 in the USA, some uneducated people saw the beturbaned al-Quaeda types and stupidly assumed that Turban = Muslim terrorist, which led to at least one Sikh actually getting killed by some idiot.  Talking about this type of ignorance would have really hit home how stupid xenophobia can be, and added extra tension to the film.  Of course, if the film is really an allegory about India like Java seems to saying (am I right?) then my suggestion is withdrawn.  

09:55 AM Feb 14 2010 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

Actually this film has got nothing to do with India . Shahrukh khan plays the role of an Indian Muslim. 

Rizwan Khan, a Muslim from the Borivali section of Mumbai, suffers from Asperger's syndrome, a form of high-functioning autism that complicates socialization. The adult Rizwan marries a Hindu single mother, Mandira, in San Francisco. After 9/11, Rizwan is detained by authorities at LAX who mistake his disability for suspicious behavior. Following his arrest, he meets Radha, a therapist who helps him deal with his situation and his affliction. Rizwan then begins a journey to meet US President Obama to clear his name.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1188996/plotsummary 

shahrukh "khan" was actually detained at a US airport few years back . this could be one of the reason to take him in this film

http://www.zeenews.com/news555541.html

01:52 PM Feb 14 2010 |

doublebubble

Germany

I'm a great fan of SRK and I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the film in Germany. I would love to meet people on ebaby to exchange ideas and impressions about SRK, Bollywood and MNIK. So, see u. Till then take care, best regards, doublebubble

05:27 PM Mar 12 2010 |

h-a-h

h-a-h

Bahrain

I saw the film

and I like it so much

08:29 AM Mar 13 2010 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

I watched it 3 days ago and it was very well teaching many things. Thanks BollyWood.

02:25 PM Jul 07 2010 |