Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Millions of Muslims support Terrorism worldwide

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

Just recently last year, a full report on opinions in Muslim countries was released. It makes for some very interesting reading:

http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/pdf/feb09/STARTII_Feb09_rpt.pdf

A fact people prefer to ignore:

http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/196545.php

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/14/AR2005071401030_2.html

The survey found only 2 percent of the people polled in Lebanon and 7 percent in Turkey expressing confidence that bin Laden would "do the right thing regarding world affairs." The proportion that expressed confidence in the al Qaeda leader dropped from almost half to about a quarter in Morocco, and from 58 percent to 37 percent in Indonesia. Bin Laden's standing went up slightly in Pakistan, to 51 percent, and in Jordan, to 60 percent. 

But Norton also noted: "As the events in London show, it does not take too many people to cause big problems. If only 1/10,000 of 1 percent [of the Muslim world] is inclined to terrorism, that is still 1,200 potential mass killers." 

Poll taken among British Muslim University students:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article682599.ece

• 32% of Muslim students in Britain believe that killing in the name of Islam can be justified.
  • 40% support sharia law for Muslims in Britain and 33% support a global Caliphate based on sharia law.
  • 40% believe it is unacceptable for Muslim men and women to mix freely.
  • 57% said that British Muslim servicemen should be allowed to opt out of taking part in military operations in Muslim countries.

11:53 PM Feb 13 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Mia★

Mia★

Iraq

I wouldn't be surprised since those Muslims see other Muslims persecuted on a daily basis abroad ever since the whole terrorist craze started. The 9/11 attacks disrupted everyone's lives and normal civilian Muslims were treated as if they were the ones that masterminded those attacks. And when that's the case, what do you think would happen when a real terrorist holds that advantage against the West and recruits young naive minds into doing twisted terrorist acts while the the big terrorist kahuna laughs it up behind the scenes somewhere.

Said terrorist would be like "They are already killing us" or "They are already doing it to our countries why don't we do it back to them?" When manipulation comes in that form, the young and fresh recruits would think of it as something patriotic because they are beguiled into believing that they are fighting for religion and country.

I'm not saying that all of this is justified but that is the bitter reality of it all. It is sad to see what Islam has mutated into in this age and time.

10:51 AM Feb 14 2010 |

Radunagi

Radunagi

United States

There is a lot of nasty info in this survey, but some definite good trends (hey, look at azerbaijan!) and I'm an optimist.  I will also note that while assimilation is moving slowly in parts of Europe, it IS moving, and that in America, the Muslim population is quite assimilated, having struck a good balance between being modern and doing justice to their beliefs.  So clearly, there is a pathway towards reversing to bad trends that are sweeping many parts of the 3rd world.  After all, the current wave of radicalization; indeed, much of the current philosophies and doctrines espoused by extremist groups, are all pretty recent, and I don't expect them to last much longer than pan-Arabism/Africanism or Marxism did.  Just the latest movement of people frustrated with life and the hand they were dealt.  

10:51 AM Feb 14 2010 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

But there are million others who do not support terrorism as well. The "other millions" have to be proactive in countering those supporters of Anti – human activities. 

@ Mia,

these are the words of Martin Luther King Jr  

“And through your suffering and your willingness to accept blows without retaliating, you, at that moment find yourself working on the conscience of the opponent. You are exposing his moral defenses, you are weakening his morale.”

Had people like Martin Luther  King not chosen the path of Non Violence, and instead had gone for Violent and Militant resistance, today America would have been in shambles and Black Americans would still be protesting…. 

01:24 PM Feb 14 2010 |

MarcoArmaniBRA

Brazil

It just proves what I've always said.

(don't blow me up, please)

02:40 PM Feb 14 2010 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

Most estimates  put it around at least 10 percent of all Muslims who have extremist views.

Optimists will point at this and shout 'see it's only a minority!'

People like me would rather point out that 10 percent of 1.5 billion people is not a number I feel comfortable with.

03:01 PM Feb 14 2010 |

jucoba

jucoba

Indonesia

I hate teror so i love palestinians (They got teror so they can’t live normal as us ).

03:10 PM Feb 14 2010 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

stupid armani supports fabs. so 100% of stupidity supports zionism. THIS IS A SURVEY!! :D

by the way, I support terrorism (horror) in movies.

03:24 PM Feb 14 2010 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

One way to piss of the site's extremists:

Produce a truthful article with facts in it.

04:18 PM Feb 14 2010 |