Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

I want to know what you think. What is your reason for living?

johnstonmic

United States

Ok, I know this is a big question.  But I am really interested in knowing what people from all around the world has to say.

What is the purpose to your life?  Why do you get up in the morning?  What do you want from life?

I am really excited to hear what you have to say.

01:01 AM Feb 23 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Vla-di-mir

Vla-di-mir

Russian Federation

Good question, few people think about it.
Reply to be different, there is a desire in people who have what it achieves what it is, someone wants it to be. What brings joy to people? (poured into the most entertaining topic) All this can be brought under one feature of "earthly riches and fame on earth." But is this the ultimate goal? If the people who created it, then obviously there is a higher purpose connected with God. I, as an Orthodox Christian life goal "to be worthy of the kingdom of God", which is achieved through the execution of the will of God's commandments and teachings of God.

01:36 AM Feb 23 2010 |

winny8437

winny8437

China

good question, i asked myself everyday,to be honest i don’t know to meet a perfect husband,to find a more good job,so tried to think to much.maybe just not to let my family down.

03:48 AM Feb 23 2010 |

johnstonmic

United States

Vla-di-mir,

I like how thought out your responce is. You state, ""to be worthy of the kingdom of God", which is achieved through the execution of the will of God's commandments and teachings of God."

I am wondering, what you you get by being worth of the kingdom by following the commandments and teachings of God?  

If we accept that God is not only true, but Truth its self, then God must have a reason for Gods commandments.  Why follow them?

07:12 AM Feb 23 2010 |

johnstonmic

United States

winny8437,

I must agree.  I find that relationships are extremely important…  Husband, family.  They sound great.  

Why do you want a perfect husband?

07:14 AM Feb 23 2010 |

johnstonmic

United States

Thank you so much for answering.  There is a certain poetry in your response that reflects how genuine your soul is.  It is beautiful.  I want to understand more.

What did you mean by , "I want I get successful in this life n life hereafter in the path that has been chosen by Allah for me…"?  How do you gain success? What is success?

I am looking forward to hearing from you.  True success is a topic I have been thinking about.

07:22 AM Feb 23 2010 |

stiudentz

stiudentz

Malaysia

When will we die? Anyone know it?

08:12 AM Feb 23 2010 |

Vla-di-mir

Vla-di-mir

Russian Federation

I understand the perception, my answer would probably be heard from all sides "Come unto me" "I came and now I'm a new man," "Glory glory I am glad that I met this doctrine," But what I mean by the answer. What can I get in the house of God. All peoples have only warm and bright ideas of paradise. I think everyone will utter a whole list of what he wants to get into the kingdom of God. (of course a good understanding of this: calmness and pacification, and not his wife a prostitute and cocaine business, and a gang of killers to boot) In Orthodox teaching, there are many of the kingdom of God. Think like a child, the warmth and kindness, which formed a normal child from the mother, and God will give, as you know for adults. God – is love. Where no love – there is no God. The great Russian saint Seraphim of Sarov said: "The purpose of the worldly life of ordinary people are acquiring or earning money, and the nobility, moreover – to receive honors, distinctions and other rewards for state services. Acquiring God's Spirit is also capital, but grace and eternal .. . Word of God, our Lord, the God-man Jesus Christ likens the life of our market place … earthly goods – a virtue, for the sake of the cause of Christ and has given us the grace of the Holy Spirit … " Here is the full text http://lib.eparhia-saratov.ru/books/03v/veniamin/paternoster/10.html

The second question about the meaning of the Trinity. God is united on the merits, but troichen in persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit, the consubstantial and indivisible Trinity. The dogma of the Holy Trinity is incomprehensible, it is the dogma of the mysterious, unfathomable level of reason. For the human mind the doctrine of the Holy Trinity is contradictory, because it is a mystery which can not be expressed rationally. The mystery of the Holy Trinity is conceived, but only partly, in the experience of spiritual life. This realization is always fraught with ascetic feat. VN Lossky says: "Apofa-matic ascent is the ascent to Calvary, and therefore no speculative philosophy could never rise to the mysteries of the Holy Trinity." VN Lossky said that the doctrine of the Trinity "is not only the foundation, but the ultimate goal of theology, because … learn the secret of the Holy Trinity in its fullness – then enter in the divine life, the very life of the Blessed Trinity."

09:57 AM Feb 23 2010 |

Saladeen

Saladeen

Pakistan

The purpose is to distinguish between the world of senses and the world unseen. How the unseen shapes our life and its impact on the world of senses. To distinguish between the different sources of joy, because joy itself is something related to feelings and can't be measure on the scale of mechanics and so are every other state of mind which can't be observed but can be felt, like the taste of sugar can only be obvious after putting it on the tip of tongue. 

To distinguish between good and evil and to establish a balance-way between two extremes. 

To distinguish between joy and pain and how to make joy into pain and pain into joy.

To find way to preserve and hold onto our uniqueness in a way which collaborate every individual.

To work for decent living to make honorable representation and justification for selfhood independence.

To extend our contribution towards those who are less fortunate.

To live the life of passion and benevolence.

To struggle against our extreme obsessions and to keep them in control.

To synchronize our attributes with divine on daily basis.

That's what i think to be my purpose, tough, I feel too small for such a gigantic task. 

11:00 AM Feb 23 2010 |

Vla-di-mir

Vla-di-mir

Russian Federation

A good goal to understand where and how people should react to something.
But if you take two people. One of the prestigious family lived on the island did not look TV, read books and talked with the clever and the right people. The second man lived in the poor house, his mother was a prostitute, and her father sat in jail. Who will be on your right to spend time of their lives. Orthodox True religion teaches people to "People are not perfect, people are sinful, even if they are priests and kings, to look for dirt in themselves, then change the world"

And that learn to distinguish where the good and where evil. And you went to Hitler and said: You're killing people is bad, you end up in hell. He would listen to you?

If a person is bad, then work it will be bad. And when all people have learned to dig a hole, then not everyone will be right.
Must first become a good man.

Small and very superficial article about the difference in the true (Orthodox doctrine) and other religions

http://www.englishbaby.com/forum/LifeTalk/thread/375201

11:18 AM Feb 23 2010 |

Nice shadow

United Arab Emirates

hi

My purpose is to worship The one who give me life. My purpose is to follow Allah rules. My purpose to do as I can to be nearer to Allah because after I die, I want to be in aheaven.

My best wishes

04:09 PM Feb 23 2010 |