Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Can any Christian Explain To me This

TRUTH

TRUTH

French Southern Territories

I'm a muslim,and I'm called terrorist as modern plicies claim,and I'm lost in my beliefs.

WOULD YOU MY CHRISTIAN BROTHERS GUIDE ME TO THE RIGHT PATH ?

01:24 AM Jul 28 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Radunagi

Radunagi

United States

Ramezinho – what about the splitting of the moon and NASA foud a line along the moon with a whole along it 200 km inside ground of moon showing it was splitted and rejoined?

That didn't happen.  We've discussed this many times on LifeTalk.  The "lines" along the moon are called lunar rilles.  They are many, varied and perfectly consistent with what we know about the moon's tectonics.  There is no evidence the Moon was ever split.  

miracleof the doom of the rock about a rock never touches earth in jerusalem still from 1500 years and never fall it's 10 feet in the sky over earth  u can visit it 

This is a hoax.  That picture was edited with photoshop.  

miracles in embryoloy proven by Dr Keith L.Moor

For those who don't know, this refers to comparing modern discoveries concerning the development of the human embryo and fetus  with certain verses from the Quran that purport to be about the same thing.  The notion is, that people couldn't have known such precise scientific information at the time, thereby showing the Quran to be divinely inspired. 

However, much of the information to be found in the verses was in fact already known centuries before hand, and furthermore, the Quranic account, if you are interpreting it to be a scientific handbook, has some errors.  The reference in Surah 23:14 to bones being made, then clothed in flesh, does not really correspond to reality, where differentiation occurs at the same time, and muscle development in general precedes bone development.  This is one example of several other errors that came about based on reliance on flawed Greek and Indian medicine.  

The descriptions in the Quran about this, as well as the development of Islamic medicine in the Umayyad times and after, were consciously taking from Greek/Indian medicine. This is proven by examining the writing of contemporary (of that time) Islamic doctors.  They were very familiar with the works of Greek doctors like Galens and saw the connections to the past.  To interpret these verses as a miracle aimed at the modern day is a very innovative theological stance, albeit quite popular today, but one that I doubt classical Muslim scholars would agree with.

miracles of physics about the releventy theory proven by Einstien

I really don't like this modern fad, present in numerous religions, that science is working to prove their beliefs.  I get that it is a nice piece of popular religion to point to these little things to feel better about oneself, but because it is all too often either based on wishful thinking or flat out error, it often backfires.  

This claim is an example. These verses are just being reinterpreted by modern people based on a flawed understanding of the science and on the original meaning of the verses.  I mean, think about it.  If the Qur'an is supposedly miraculous for having within it the theory of relativity, then isn't Einstien even more miraculous for coming up with that theory completely by himself?  And not only that, but by actually giving mathematical and testable proof for his hypothesis?

This mode of apologetics is attractive but ultimately harmful.  Americans have a saying:  The road to hell is paved with good intentions.  

miracles about fortelling future about tsunamy hurricanes and cathrina hurricanes and about problems of nile with egypt and egypt will have no harvest and no money soon as muhammed said and most of it's signs happened about that 

You will have to be more specific than that, but general statements about natural disasters, or even problems of famine in Egypt, are hardly new or uncommon.

now i ask u to show me one miracle jesus did 1 miracle

Christians claim that there are lots of miracles happening all the time, as well as during the time of Jesus.  That said, most of them fall apart under careful scrutiny just as the ones above do.  Traditionally, however, in Christianity specific miracles are not required to be believed by the faithful.  The "real" miracle, even in an event that does not have any visible divine influence, is the reaction of observers to live their lives better.  

i want 1 miracle to see by my eyes

Egypt seems to get these relatively often.  Keep your eyes open… maybe you can see the projector somewhere.  Smile

11:13 PM Aug 05 2010 |

Radunagi

Radunagi

United States

Arabhamid, if you find Christianity illogical, you might wish to try looking into Buddhism.  They are pretty obsessed about logic. A new challenge for you, I guess.  And they are very different from Christianity, so it will be a new experience.  For example, they don't believe in a God, they don't have a  permanent heaven or hell, they believe in rebirth, etc.  

Ultimately, all religions are a question of "just believing."  Lots of honest people have studied Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism, and so on and still rejected them, not out of hate or pressure, but just because they didn't feel it in their hearts that it was true.  

We can argue on and on about logic, but in the end, it is what appeals to you that will guide you.   That is what I believe, anyway.  We just have to live our lives honestly.  

Marco, most Muslims are just people trying to live their lives.  Like you and me.  

Akhenaton, I really hope you are joking about the World Trade Center.   We know who bombed it, they admit it, what is the problem?

The reason the Bible has had such an interesting development is because the oral tradition is more important.  Even in Islam, this is a factor, after all, the Quran was not written down until after the death of Mohammed, and early examples of the Quran were somewhat different than today, lacking diacritical marks.  The extent to which there are different Qurans today is a matter of debate, however  looking at the early Qurans, they are definitely not EXACTLY the same.  

The Bahai don't think that the Quran was sent last.  They continue the chain.  They are growing quite a bit even in the face of oppression.  It would have been nice for God to make the first prophet the Seal, though.  Would have saved us some trouble.   

Razzaghi – Christians believe that Jesus, as God, always existed.  In that sense, he always had and has a hand in the world, however, it was only for one period when he was incarnated and joined harmoniously with a human form.  That form is the one who died, and because God was unified with it, that part of God passed from the living world to the next world with him.  Upon resurrection, both the human and the god form came back. 

The split amongst Christians is a little like the Sunni/Shia split.  Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, and some others hold that Jesus passed on his mission, to mediate and forgive sins, to his disciples, who in turn passed it on.  This system is continued today in the system of Bishops and priests, which form the Church.  a lot like the Imamate, no?  Christians usually teach that God, through the holy Spirit, protects the Church from teaching error in matters of faith and doctrine.  There is also, like in the Shia, a concept of development and growth in the understanding of God and doctrine, this growth, however, is not supposed to contradict the past.  

Christians have been arguing  that Jewish prophets (and even some Greek guys) predicted Jesus since he was alive.  Here are some examples.  This is obviously controversial.  

How do you feel about the Bahai?  

Render unto Caeser what is Caesers' means "pay your taxes."haha.  Christianity started its history as a persecuted faith, as well as an apocalyptic one.  This led to an appreciation of a secular ruler that was not always killing you all the time.  Your addition is one that many Christians have made, haha.  

Braveheart -  Moses is considered by Christians to be a prophet (well, some Christians beleive he didn't really exist, but that is another story.), not part of the Trinity.  Christians claim that God refering to himself in the plural is evidence of the rightness of Trinitarian beliefs, three in one stuff, but that is controversial to say the least.  There are other things, Here is more information from a Christian perspective, go down to "Old Testament."  It is also a view that these had not been fully revealed the true nature of God.  There are lots of explanations.  You can decide if any make sense.

Please remember that the Bible does not hold the same position in Christianity as the Quran holds in Islam.   The Bible is just a collection of books that the Church believed were free from spiritual error and inspired by God, to serve as kind of a useful reference.  Christians don't need the Bible to be Christians.  All that matters is Jesus, and if you swing that way, the Church he created.  

Most Christians place God as outside of time, as he was the creator of time and space, and is not bound by its effects. This is a relatively common theory across theistic faiths.  

Christians believe in prophets before and after Jesus.  Their role is different than that they have in Islamic thought.  Mohammad is not considered a prophet in any of them, as far as I'm aware. 

Ramezinho – the "Gospel of Barnabas" is widely held to be a forgery.  It was clearly written by people with a medieval understanding, and furthermore, by people who didn't really know much about Islam, probably as a way to curry favor with Muslim rulers in Spain.  I am unaware of any serious Muslim scholar who accepts its authenticity.  

It's funny the extent to which Paul came under criticism in his own day and today.  But from his letters, we can at least say that by the time he came on the scene, worshiping Jesus as God was already an established practice,  and one that he did not create. 

TRUTH – Most Bibles today are translated from texts which are quite old.  Please remember that there are tons of written works by early Christians arguing with each other about what books say and which one is acceptable, and these serve as a further reference point for accuracy.  The bible is not a holy book for Christians the way the Quran is a holy book for Muslims. That said, unless you are arguing with Southern Baptists its kind of a moot point. 

When God was incarnated on Earth, according to Christians, he was fully God and Fully man (a big debate about this early on) so he did feel hungry and tired when his body was hungry and tired.  But I don't think he ran away from Jews… he was one after all, and a reasonably respected one.  

I don't understand what you mean by "Changed holy book."  Even when Jesus was alive his followers were believing and practicing things that are not practiced by Muslims today, and worship of him began immediately, before Paul, before there was any New Testament.  What did they change it from?

Jesus could have defended himself even if he was NOT God (he had his buddies with him) but he told them not to resist.  Jesus sacrificing himself out of love for his creation is a central Christian theme.  Jesus was quite pacifistic, remember the "turn the other cheek" and "if someone steals your shirt, give him your cloak as well" things. He taught people to not defend themselves, but to love instead. Impractical?  maybe.  but the imagery of the last being first, the persecuted being the holy, the beggars being the beloved, is big in Christianity.  

As to whether jesus was crucified, historical scholars generally believe he was.  Crucifixion was a common punishment and in a place and time like ~28 CE Judea during Passover the Romans would have been  extra careful.  Furthermore, Crucifixion is an embarrassing, low way to die, or at least that is how it was perceived back then.  Christians would have been unlikely to make up this story, because they had to spend a lot of time defending and justifying it.  Why would they make up something bad about their savior?

You can see an Islamic example of this in Ibn Ishaq's biography of Muhammad, which discusses Mohammad endorsing some Pagan Meccan goddesses, supposedly under the influence of Satan.  Early Muslims believed that this really happened, and so they expended a lot of effort trying to explain it.  

Please note that this fits in well with an apocalyptic world view.  

Damn, soooo much… did I miss anything?

12:22 AM Aug 06 2010 |

Radunagi

Radunagi

United States

Oh, i should point out that while Jesus actually being executed is considered good history by most disinterested scholars, his "trial" by the Jews was not.  The mechanism described for trying him in violation of Jewish law are severely misrepresented.  This is why modern Christian denominations explicitly deny that the Jews are "responsible" for the death of Jesus.

Faith – You might be interested in reading a short book, The Concise History of the Crusades, by Tom Madden.    He is a preeminent scholar in the field and it is amazing how badly taught the Crusades are, in both the Muslim and Christian worlds. As always, I blame the British.  I wouldn't call the Church as drunk with power. They did what they did for a reason. 

The crusades were an enormously interesting time, and reading accounts from both Muslim and Christian (and Jewish) sources at the time paint a very complicated and sympathetic picture of pretty much everyone.  Well, except Baybars.  That guy really slaughtered.  

12:34 AM Aug 06 2010 |

TRUTH

TRUTH

Brother/Sister Radunagi,I apreciate so much your arguments as I respect them all,but I don't understand sincerely how do you live believing in a god who did not set any rules for life to his creators !

You said Bible was just written works of old christians,I f you want to make sure that Quran was the real message from Allah who created Jesus PBUH and all prophets befor and after him I ask you to surf the net for the miracles of Quran in science

07:40 PM Aug 07 2010 |

TRUTH

TRUTH

Please see www.quranmiracles.com

Here is some of the miracles and please use you mind not pride ans be just:

SIGNS WITHIN OURSELVES

53- We will show Our signs to them in the horizons, and within themselves, until it becomes clear to them that it is the truth. Is it not sufficient that your Lord witnesses all things?
41-Elucidated, 53

The Quran uses “nafs” (self) to express consciousness, the quintessence of our personality. “Nafs” is integrated with our physical body; the author of all good and bad acts is our “nafs.”

The fact that the atoms of our physical body – of which 99% is vacuum – deprived of all consciousness, perform such conscious acts as seeing, hearing, and thinking, cannot be explained materialistically will form the subject matter of another book I am intending to write, in which this issue will be tackled within a larger framework, stretching from the philosophy of mind to the quantum theory wherein many scientific branches will find room. With this in mind, I refrain from taking up this issue in this present work.

The point I should like to dwell upon now is the verse’s allusion to signs in ourselves. There are a priori categories that the mind is constitutionally endowed with, concepts or ideas that are not derived from experience. The subject I speak of in this chapter is not based on findings obtained by satellites, telescopes, submarines or on the recent developments in physics, chemistry or biology. Here we find ourselves surrounded by the available data of a rich philosophical background. The tribe to which the Prophet belonged dealt in trade and animal husbandry. The Prophet himself was not brought up in a milieu like Plato’s Academy or in an environment where the colorful and lively schools of philosophy like Cartesianism flourished. Therefore, the fact that the Quran made a distinction between the outward signs and the signs immanent in man’s soul is noteworthy.

07:49 PM Aug 07 2010 |

Radunagi

Radunagi

United States

I am Brother Radunagi :)  I appreciate your questions too.  My own religious beliefs are pretty complex.

I don't understand sincerely how do you live believing in a god who did not set any rules for life to his creators !

One of the things that Jesus preached against was the slavish adherence to rules.  He saw the people around him as being more concerned with the letter of the law rather than the spirit.  This is why he said that all the law boiled down into two rules – Love your neighbor as yourself, and Love God.  He further points out that the best way to love God is to love your neighbor, so it is more simple. 

This is hardly an uncommon position.  The famous Rabbi Hillel explained the Torah and Judaism in this way "What is hateful to yourself, do not do to your fellow man.  That is the whole Torah; the rest is just commentary.  Go and study it".

I believe it is also a Hadith:  No one is a believer until they wish for their brother what they wish for themselves.  

The story of the Good Samaritan, where a man from a people considered unclean and generally bad was the only one to help a stranger in need while supposedly respected members of the community passed him by,  is an example of how goodness of heart supersedes the following of rituals and rules. 

Jesus did not say that all rules were bad, though, he said that people should examine the traditions that they had, and if they were good, keep them, and if they were bad, throw them out.  Jesus himself commanded his followers to do various things, in the form of rituals (the Eucharist/Communion), prayer, preaching, charity, etc. 

Most Christians believe that when a person makes a decision, it should be one that is informed and aware of God and all of the facts, but ultimately, it is up to the person.  Of course, an "informed" decision is up for debate, one assumes that no informed person would ever commit murder, right?

So yes, in Christianity there are rules, and mediators to "make sure" the rules are understood and followed.  Just, the focus is traditionally more on the "why" of the rules (Because we should love God and each other) than the "what" of the rules.  Islam is not much different, the rules say that you should pray 5 times every day, but if one day it is really not your fault you didn't, that is no sin, right?  That rule isn't just to make you do something, it's a guide. 

Qur'an Miracles –

Respectfully speaking, that website is not only factually incorrect, it is also making a case for the Qur'an that is not found in traditional Islam, in fact it was rejected by Classical Islamic scholars like al-Buruni.   The case relies on:

Misinterpretation of verses in the Qur'an

Misinterpretation of science

Assumptions that people during Muhammad's time and before knew nothing about Science and the world

Assumes the Qur'an is a science textbook, it is not meant to be that.

Just as an example, the fact of atoms in our physical body performing conscious acts such as seeing and thinking, is easily explained materially.  

I know that this trend of finding scientific miracles in the Qur'an is very nice for many Muslims, but really it is a trap.  The"miracles" cannot really be defended at all, they offer no special reason for someone to believe them who is actually educated in science.  And really, they don't add anything, if i disproved all of those supposed miracles on that website,  it would not affect your faith at all, right?  

Imagine if I was a Muslim, and I went up to you, and I said, see, brother, how great the Qur'an is, the Prophet Muhammad taught people how to make fire for the first time! This proves the divine nature of the Qur'an!

I hope you would say, "Hey, friend, listen, people had fire before Muhammad.  He did not invent fire, and the Qur'an does not say he did.  These mistruths are not helping Islam.  They just make you look uneducated in front of others.  Please stop."

I know when you mention Islam you are just comparing Christianity to the things in your life that you know well, but I hope we can make this not be a Christians versus Muslims thread.  We should get along:)

If you ever want to make a Buddhism thread, though, feel free :)

08:37 PM Aug 07 2010 |

TRUTH

TRUTH

One of the things that Jesus preached against was the slavish adherence to rules.  He saw the people around him as being more concerned with the letter of the law rather than the spirit.  This is why he said that all the law boiled down into two rules – Love your neighbor as yourself, and Love God.  He further points out that the best way to love God is to love your neighbor, so it is more simple. 

I agree with you on this,but is this all… LOVE YOUR SELF AS YOU LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOUR,LOVE GOD and that's all ?!

Is this to what what all this humanity was created for ?!

What about crimes,adultry,stealing,gambling…do you mean that take or leave them ?!

where are the rules that govern that,do you mean that god left it for human beings to make it from their own minds ?

then why God calls him self God ? if he can't even set rules that regulates the life he created ?

i ask u a question brother,why we were created by God ?

Since he is a God,can't he find any other amusement for him self but creating us To love him ?

Yes we were created to love him ,but ,and to worship him five times perday,and to not be mislead,and and and,that you don't want to believe in …

ABOUT SCIENCE MIRACLES OF QURAN,you should know that every year hundreds of scientists get into Islam just from the Miracles of it,and there are Bilions of examples of that,do you call those scientists IGNORANTS or what ?

IF YOU ARE BARGAINING FOR WINNING ,YOU WILL DEFEAT ME,IF YOU ARE BARGAINING FOR TRUTH YOU SHOULD'VE FOUND WHAT YOU NEED AND GOT SATIDFIED

This is all I've got brother,I'm not going further for not to make christians take as a perdonal issue,Now you've got all the reasons,for opening your heart and mind to the TRUTH

Ahamad Didat  is the best who can convince you

Salam 

08:24 PM Aug 09 2010 |

just---girl

Saudi Arabia

don't feel that 

who called u that ?

just be yourself  

06:32 AM Aug 10 2010 |

TRUTH

TRUTH

And if so YUVALAM,what's your problem with that?is it your loss ?!

People here are indeed loving muslims and Islam too,because humanbeings are not like you 

And what about your Racist threads about "only Muslims"

At least Islam allows other to convert to it gladly,what about your beliefs NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO CONVERT TO JUDAISM,AND YOU'RE CONSIDERED AS A JEW ONLY IF YOUR MOTHER IS JEW.sick people you are indeed

Treat your sick mental man,I'm serious you're a blind hater…

05:42 PM Aug 11 2010 |

TRUTH

TRUTH

This is my last post,please christians read and judge

Pope or Kissinger?
This Reverend gentleman was expounding Biblical prophecies. He went on to
prove that the Christian Bible foretold the rise of Soviet Russia, and the Last
Days. At one stage he went to the extent of proving that his Holy Book did
not leave even the Pope out of its predictions. He expatiated vigorously in
order to convince his audience that the "Beast 666" mentioned in the Book
of Revelation – the last book of the New Testament – was the Pope, who was
the Vicar of Christ on earth. It is not befitting for us Muslims to enter into
this controversy between the Roman Catholics and the Protestants. By the
way, the latest Christian exposition of the "Beast 666" of the Christian Bible
is Dr. Henry Kissinger. Christian scholars are ingenious and indefatigable in
their efforts to prove their case.
Rev. Hiten's lectures led me to ask that if the Bible foretold so many things
not even excluding the "Pope" and "Israel", – then surely it must have
something to say about the greatest benefactor of mankind – the Holy
Prophet Muhummed (may the peace of Allah be with him).
As a youngster I set out to search for an answer. I met priest after priest,
attended lectures, and read everything that I could lay my hands on relating
to the field of Bible prophecies. Tonight I am going to narrate to you one of
these interviews with a dominee of the Dutch Reformed Church.
Lucky Thirteen
I was invited to the Transvaal to deliver a talk on the occasion of the
Birthday celebration of the Holy Prophet Muhummed. Knowing that in that
Province of

the Republic, the Afrikaans language is widely spoken, even by my own
people, I felt that I ought to acquire a smattering of this language so as to
feel a little "at home" with the people. I opened the telephone directory and
began phoning the Afrikaans-speaking churches. I indicated my purpose to
the priests that I was interested in having a dialogue with them, but they
refused my request with "plausible" excuses. No. 13 was my lucky number.
The thirteenth call brought me pleasure and relief. A dominee Van Heerden
agreed to meet me at his home on the Saturday afternoon that I was to
leave for the Transvaal.
He recieved me on his verandah with a friendly welcome. He said if I did not
mind, he would like his father-in-law from the Free State (a 70-year-old
man) to join us in the discussion. I did not mind. The three of us settled
down in the dominee's library.
Why Nothing?
I posed the question: "What does the Bible say about Muhummed?" Without
hesitation he answered, "Nothing!" I asked: "Why nothing? According to your
interpretation the Bible has so many things to say about the rise of Soviet
Russia and about the Last Days and even about the Pope of the Roman
Catholics?" He said, "Yes, but there was nothing about Muhummed!" I asked
again, "Why nothing? Surely this man Muhummed who had been responsible
for the bringing into being a world-wide community of millions of Believers
who, on his authority, believe in
What the Bible says about Muhummed (p.b.u.h.) Page 3
(1) the miraculous birth of Jesus,
(2) that Jesus is the Messiah,
(3) that he gave life to the dead by God's permission, and that
he healed those born blind and the lepers by God's
permission.

Surely this book (the Bible) must have something to say about this great
Leader of men who spoke so well of Jesus and his mother Mary?"
The old man from the Free State replied. "My son, I have been reading the
Bible for the past 50 years, and if there was any mention of him, I would
have known it."
Not One by Name!
I enquired: "According to you, are there not hundreds of prophecies
regarding the coming of Jesus in the Old Testament." The dominee
interjected: "Not hundreds, but thousands!" I said, "I am not going to
dispute the 'thousand and one' prophecies in the old Testament regarding
the coming of Jesus Christ, because the whole Muslim-world has already
accepted him without the testimony of any Biblical prophecy. We Muslims
have accepted the de facto Jesus on the authority of Muhummed alone, and
there are in the world to-day no less than 1,000,000,000 followers of
Muhummed who love, respect and revere this great messenger of God -
JESUS CHRIST – without having the Christians to convince them by means
of their Biblical dialectics. Out of the 'thousands' of prophecies referred to,
can you please give me just one single prophecy where Jesus is mentioned
by name? The term 'Messiah', translated as 'Christ', is not a name but a title.
Is there a single prophecy where it says that the name of the Messiah will be
JESUS, and that his mother's name will be MARY, that his supposed father
will be JOSEPH THE CARPENTER; that he will be born in the reign of
HEROD THE KING, etc. etc.? No! There are no such details! Then how can
you conclude that those 'thousand' prophecies refer to Jesus?"

Prophecy?
The dominee replied: "You see, prophecies are word-pictures of something
that is going to happen in the future. When that thing actually comes to
pass, we see vividly in these prophecies the fulfilment of what had been
predicted in the past." I said: "What you actually do is that you deduce, you
reason, you put two and two together." He said: "Yes." I said: "If this is what
you have to do with a 'thousand' prophecies to justify your claim with
regards to the genuineness of Jesus, why should we not adopt the very same
system for Muhummed?" The dominee agreed that it was a fair
proposition, a reasonable way of dealing with the problem.
I asked him to open up Deuteronomy, chapter 18, verse 18, which he did. I
read from memory the verse in Afrikaans, because this was my purpose in
having a little practice with the language of the ruling race in South Africa.
'N PROFEET SAL EK VIR HULLE VERWEK UIT DIE MIDDE VAN HULLE
BROERS, SOOS JY IS, EN EK SAL MY WOORDE IN SY MOND LÊ, EN HY SAL
AAN HULLE SE ALLES WAT EK HOM BEVEEL.' Deut. 18:18.
The English translation reads as follows:
I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto
thee, and I will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto
them all that I shall command him.
Prophet Like Moses
Having recited the verse in Afrikaans, I apologised for my uncertain
pronunciation. The dominee assured me that I was doing fine. I enquired:
"To whom does this prophecy refer?" Without the slightest hesitation he

answered: "JESUS!" I asked: "Why Jesus – his name is not mentioned here?"
The dominee replied: "Since prophecies are word-pictures of something that
is going to happen in the future, we find that the wordings of this verse
adequately describe him. You see the most important words of this prophecy
are 'SOOS JY IS' (like unto thee), – LIKE YOU – like Moses, and Jesus is like
Moses. I questioned: "In which way is Jesus like Moses?" The answer was:
"In the first place Moses was a JEW and Jesus was also a JEW; secondly
Moses was a PROPHET and Jesus was also a PROPHET – therefore Jesus is
like Moses and that is exactly what God had foretold Moses – "SOOS JY IS".
"Can you think of any other similarities between Moses and Jesus?" I asked.
The dominee said that he could not think of any. I replied: "If these are the
only two criteria for discovering a candidate for this prophecy of
Deuteronomy 18:18, then in that case the criteria could fit any one of the
following Biblical personages after Moses: – Solomon, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Daniel,
Hosea, Joel, Malachi, John the Baptist etc., because they were also ALL Jews
as well as Prophets. Why should we not apply this prophecy to any one of
these prophets, and why only to Jesus? Why should we make fish of one and
fowl of another?" The dominee had no reply. I continued: "You see, my
conclusions are that Jesus is most unlike Moses, and if I am wrong I would
like you to correct me."
Three Unlikes
So saying, I reasoned with him: In the FIRST place Jesus is not like Moses,
because, according to you – 'JESUS IS A GOD', but Moses is not God, is this
true?" He said: "Yes." I said; "Therefore Jesus is not like Moses!
"SECONDLY, according to you – 'JESUS DIED FOR THE SINS OF THE
WORLD', but Moses did not have to die for the sins of the world. Is this
true?" Heagain said: "Yes." I said: "Therefore Jesus is not like Moses!"
"THIRDLY, according to you – 'JESUS WENT TO HELL FOR THREE DAYS', but
Moses did not have to go there. Is this true?" He answered meekly: "Y-e-s."
I concluded: "Therefore Jesus is not like Moses!"
"But dominee," I continued: "these are not hard facts, solid facts, tangible
facts; they are mere matters of belief over which the little ones can stumble
and fall. Let us discuss something very simple, very easy that if your little
ones are called in to hear the discussion, would have no difficulty in following
it, shall we?" The dominee was quiet happy at the suggestion.
Father and Mother
(1) "Moses had a father and a mother. Muhummed also had a father and a
mother. But Jesus had only a mother, and no human father. Is this true?" He
said: "Yes." I said: "DAAROM IS JESUS NIE SOOS MOSES NIE, MAAR
MUHUMMED IS SOOS MOSES!" Meaning: "Therefore Jesus is not like
Moses, but Muhummed is like Moses!" (By now the reader will realise
that I was using the Afrikaans language only for practice purposes. I shall
discontinue its use in this narration).
Miraculous Birth
(2) "Moses and Muhummed were born in the normal, natural course, i.e. the
physical association of man and woman; but Jesus was created by a special
miracle. You will recall that we are told in the Gospel of St. Matthew 1:18." '.
. . . . . BEFORE THEY CAME TOGETHER, (Joseph the Carpenter and Mary)
SHE WAS FOUND WITH CHILD BY THE HOLY GHOST.' And St. Luke tells
us that when the good news of the birth of a holy son was announced to her,
Mary reasoned: '. . . . . HOW SHALL THIS BE, SEEING I KNOW NOT A MAN?

05:50 PM Aug 11 2010 |