Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

How do you greet and say goodbye?

Stitch

Stitch

Taiwan

How do you greet and say goodbye in your country?

Growing up in Taiwan, people only shake hands in business situation. Other then that, we rarely have any physical contacts.

I am now in the U.S., so I am used to shake people's hands when I first met them, and sometimes also shake their hand when say goodbye. 

If they are good friends, I give them hugs. A big good hug is nice. : ) Of course it also depends on if the person is comfortable with it.

Hand shakes and hugs are pretty common when I interact with Americans, at least in the NW.

And then there is the cheek touching(kissing) .

The first time was with a German friend. Saying goodbye, I got pulled forward, and then I realized that I should to make my very first kiss “sound”. We only touch our cheeks on both side (firs on the right and second on the left), but we make kissing sounds. I was wondering if my very kissing sound sounded all right. Many of the Europeans do this cheek touching greeting and goodbye.

With friends who are from South America, they always give you good solid kisses on both sides of your checks. I am fine with being kissed but still not used to kiss their cheeks…Tongue out

--------------

It can get really confusing at times when I say "hi" or "goodbye" to my multi-national friends in a big party. Sometimes, some people only do the check kiss on one side, some do both side. Some of them actually touch your check and some doesn't. Some start from the left then right, and some start the opposite way… 

I think Thai greeting is graceful. Looks very elegant. 

07:26 PM Jul 05 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

cosXsinX

cosXsinX

France

Kisses are the greatest thing in the world…

10:07 PM Jul 05 2007 |

cancerh236

cancerh236

Viet Nam

I really like a warm abrazos (hug)but it is not our greeting custom

07:16 AM Jul 06 2007 |

Eva Kwok

Eva Kwok

China

hehe 

4 me,hug is the greatest thing…..

02:29 PM Jul 18 2007 |

thoryanafee

Egypt

the greates thing that is 2 let the pepole feel that u r huge them with every part of ur body

08:54 PM Jul 18 2007 |

Babyluv

Babyluv

Italy

In Italy young people always kiss their friends and they sometimes do it when they meet new people too. In this case first we shake our hands and then we give a kiss on the cheek. The adults usually shake their hands and kiss only their close friends.

08:59 AM Jul 19 2007 |

sc_77

sc_77

France

in france we often touch our cheek.when u see your friends, or your friend's friend, or your parent's friend, it's very usual. if it's somebody u've never met, u can make the thing with the cheek if it's in a non-strict meeting. it's rare that we shake hands, except for guys. the only personn i've shook the hand is my doctor.'kkk, i'm only 18, i'm may to young for that kinda "greeting ".

09:12 AM Jul 19 2007 |

Michellita

Michellita

Brazil

Here in Brazil, if we have just met the person, we kiss hi/her cheeks. If the person is a good friend, or if it is some relative, we give a hug and kiss! Laughing

09:52 PM Jul 20 2007 |

wendy wang

wendy wang

China

Generally speaking,in china only those who have the closest relationship hug or maybe kiss each other.Take me for example i only hugged my mom and my best friends before. I never did it even to my dad and brother. I only kissed my nephew and niece when they were babies.

01:22 AM Jul 21 2007 |

Michellita

Michellita

Brazil

Oh, I forgot to say… when we say goodbye, it's the same thing, we give a tight hug and kiss the person!

01:56 AM Jul 21 2007 |

daro

Cameroon

hi i only kiss my sex partner

02:01 PM Aug 21 2007 |