Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

How do you greet and say goodbye?

Stitch

Stitch

Taiwan

How do you greet and say goodbye in your country?

Growing up in Taiwan, people only shake hands in business situation. Other then that, we rarely have any physical contacts.

I am now in the U.S., so I am used to shake people's hands when I first met them, and sometimes also shake their hand when say goodbye. 

If they are good friends, I give them hugs. A big good hug is nice. : ) Of course it also depends on if the person is comfortable with it.

Hand shakes and hugs are pretty common when I interact with Americans, at least in the NW.

And then there is the cheek touching(kissing) .

The first time was with a German friend. Saying goodbye, I got pulled forward, and then I realized that I should to make my very first kiss “sound”. We only touch our cheeks on both side (firs on the right and second on the left), but we make kissing sounds. I was wondering if my very kissing sound sounded all right. Many of the Europeans do this cheek touching greeting and goodbye.

With friends who are from South America, they always give you good solid kisses on both sides of your checks. I am fine with being kissed but still not used to kiss their cheeks…Tongue out

--------------

It can get really confusing at times when I say "hi" or "goodbye" to my multi-national friends in a big party. Sometimes, some people only do the check kiss on one side, some do both side. Some of them actually touch your check and some doesn't. Some start from the left then right, and some start the opposite way… 

I think Thai greeting is graceful. Looks very elegant. 

07:26 PM Jul 05 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Goofyguy

Goofyguy

United States

This is actually a pretty good question and there is a lot of variation of what is correct depending on the culture, the region, age of the people involved, etc. Generally in the US in a business formal situation men would shake hands, women may shake hands or hug. With friends, guys won't generally hug unless it's a friend, you're going away for a long time, something special. Women will generally hug. A guy may hug a girl or vice versa and this is actually normal among friends. 

The kiss on the cheek is not a usual thing for Americans to do, especially between guys.

11:57 PM Aug 21 2007 |

diamono

Ghana

I am very happy to write to you this my humble letter. By the way how are you? I hope by the grace of almighty God every thing is moving on well gradually as I am here in techiman.             Please the main reason why I am writing to you this letter is my humble letter is that, I am a Ghanaian boy of 17years of age. And I would like to be your best pen pal friend. I hope you will aspect me as your pen pal friend from Ghana. I hope to hear from you soon. Good bye! Have nice day and take care.Good bye!!!                                                                               from                                                                             nicholas

07:30 PM Aug 29 2007 |

diamono

Ghana

I am very happy to write to you this my humble letter. By the way how are you? I hope by the grace of almighty God every thing is moving on well gradually as I am here in techiman.             Please the main reason why I am writing to you this letter is my humble letter is that, I am a Ghanaian boy of 17years of age. And I would like to be your best pen pal friend. I hope you will aspect me as your pen pal friend from Ghana. I hope to hear from you soon. Good bye! Have nice day and take care.Good bye!!!                                                                               from                                                                             nicholas

07:31 PM Aug 29 2007 |

shimanaz

shimanaz

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

In my country Iran, generally we greet and say goodbye by hugging and cheek kissing even if it's the first time you meet the person.

07:53 PM Sep 01 2007 |

shimanaz

shimanaz

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

In my country Iran, generally we greet and say goodbye by hugging and cheek kissing even if it’s the first time you meet the person.

07:53 PM Sep 01 2007 |

ndayileo

Burundi

what is your name and adress but mine are

06:04 PM Nov 16 2007 |

paradigme

paradigme

Benin

showing the warm of hospitality to the person is just the best way of greating.

04:29 PM Dec 28 2007 |

paradigme

paradigme

Benin

in Benin my beloved country there's so many wayus of greeting.

The common one is bowind down in sign of respect. In yoruba culture an ehtnic group they almost lie down . It was used for high personality but became common use till nowadays.

in the north side you will knee down to greet.

Apart from all these the best way is to show respect to the preson you are greeting.

Showing hospitality is then the best way to sum it up.

04:38 PM Dec 28 2007 |

Yolande

Madagascar

At my country, in Madagascar, the custom is like this:men take away his hat and women say just manao ahoana tompoko. But after, the custom become like in habit, shake the hand, and after also, it become kissing.

05:15 PM Dec 28 2007 |

Komodia

Komodia

Chile

hahaha yeah  here in chile the most common thing is to kiss cheeks. Even between male friends, but of course if they're just meeting for the first time they shake hands (even though its not like that between girls or between a guy and a girl.. girls ALWAYS kiss and get kiseed hahaha)

08:30 PM Dec 29 2007 |