Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Recommend a good song and a good book

Whitney S

Whitney S

Colombia

:)

07:30 AM Dec 23 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Gorgon

Gorgon

Romania

Do they need to be related each other?

07:51 PM Dec 23 2010 |

Whitney S

Whitney S

Colombia

Not necessarily :)

09:02 AM Dec 24 2010 |

Gorgon

Gorgon

Romania

Fine then, my proposal is "Penguin Island" by Anatole France for a book and Zager & Evans with theirs "In the year 2525" song. Good topic, I'm looking forward to more answers! :)

09:50 AM Dec 24 2010 |

Whitney S

Whitney S

Colombia

Thanks for your comments!

Gorgon, what an interesting song :D Now can you tell me a little more about the Penguin Island?

Dodo, Thank you for your comment too. I think it is very original to write 3 different books with the same characters! I will see if I can find them as e-books! 

08:57 PM Dec 24 2010 |

Gorgon

Gorgon

Romania

Penguin Island is presented like a happy utopia. It's about the saga of a fictional nation, which tries to highlight the quintessence of all human habits.

Interesting books, Dodo! There is a great philosophical spectrum, I suppose. As procedure, it makes me think to "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn".

10:19 AM Dec 25 2010 |

SantiagoC

SantiagoC

Uruguay

I will recommend you an Argentinan writer, he writes short tales, he is amazing. It's Cortazar. Read some tales such as "Casa tomada", "Cartas a una señorita en París" "Preambulo a las instrucciones para dar cuerda a un reloj", "instrucciones para subir una escalera" and "continuidad de los parques" :)

01:48 AM Dec 26 2010 |

Zambuka

Zambuka

United States

the book "the catcher in the rye" by Salinger , or the last of mohicans" by cooper… the song…. ne-yo ft jennifer hudson "can't stop the rain" and …. i'm a terrible person by…i don't know the singer))) 

01:16 PM Dec 26 2010 |

nanita1208

nanita1208

Morocco

i'll recommend "THE INNOCENT" it's best seller and it's a great book.

02:21 PM Dec 29 2010 |

Zambuka

Zambuka

United States

Hmmm . . . I read the bestseller of new york times ’ eat pray love’ , you’d better toss this book to the trash . . . I don’t know what’s special in it that so many people adore it, but i found it pretty pointless and useless for the development of brains . . . Pity that the art of writing books is dying :(

07:00 AM Dec 30 2010 |

Zambuka

Zambuka

United States

I guess when the person writes the books , this one must really have the gift for writing . It’s not when you start travelling, and start discussing how you found the God, how you learnt italian and got another size of jeans , and how you were scrapping the floors of temple. IMHO , i guess writer must think differently . . . I clearly understand that it’s just memoirs , but she’s better write it in blog . . . Btw, if you like such kind of ’ art ’ , look through the blogs, you’ll find sacks of it . I don’t know why, but i can hardly imagine me being a writer after reading Shakespeare, Remark, Hemingway, Galsworthy, and many others, but after reading Gilbert, i think i even have an advantage over such kind of writers.
p.s. happy new year :)

07:35 PM Dec 31 2010 |