Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Eleniya

Eleniya

Russian Federation

It would be his choise and ONLY his :)

09:44 AM Jan 17 2011 |

braveheart2010

Egypt

i hope that won't happened

12:19 PM Jan 17 2011 |

Eleniya

Eleniya

Russian Federation

CranBerry

Yes, Sveta, I forget about sections..  They are awful things as well…

12:32 PM Jan 17 2011 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

If it is any of the Dharmic religions like Buddhism or Jainism, I won't care.  I would have a rational debate if it is Abrahamic religions. 

If my Grandfather would have been alive, he would have disowned both of us.  

05:11 PM Jan 17 2011 |

Whitney S

Whitney S

Colombia

Thank you very much for sharing your opinnon about this issue with us. I appreciate it :)

I Think it is the same for people, regardless of our religion. I mean, If we have children, we will surely raise them with the same religion or philosophy of life as us, because as we feel comfortable with it, we will want them to know more about it and be guided the right way, according to us.

But when children turn into teens and adults, I think there is nothing else we can do, because at this age we start to question many things. It is very probable that they stay in the same religion, but if there is something they don't like about it, they might want to change it.

11:26 PM Jan 17 2011 |

Sawdestination

Mexico

Well, first I´d try to show them the real meaning of my religion. Sometimes they don´t embrace it because they even don´t know anything about it.

I agree that people doesn´t have to be forced to follow one religion or another. So, if at the end, my daughter or my son feel better in a religion different to mine, well, while they believe in God and stay in the "right way" and be happy…well it´d be enough for me!

11:27 PM Jan 17 2011 |

Whitney S

Whitney S

Colombia

Too sweet, Julissita! 

Very wise, Sawdestination!

05:53 AM Jan 21 2011 |

Radunagi

Radunagi

United States

I wouldn't be particularly happy about it, but those feelings would be because I thought he was believing in something incorrect, not because I felt he didn't have the right to decide for himself.  Otherwise it wouldn't really be that big of a deal; I would still love him as my son, and hope that he is happy.  Same goes for any daughter I may have.   

This is assuming that his new beliefs are relatively benign and he didn't join some Indiana Jones style death-cult.  If that happened, I would be considerably more upset, but again, it would be because I would be losing the child I thought I knew, rather than some idea that he didn't have a right to believe that stuff. 

06:01 AM Jan 21 2011 |

Black_xs

Black_xs

Bahrain

All wt yew can do is to teach him\her wrong from right then it's him\her call to decide wt religion he\she want that's all wt can I say :-)

11:56 AM Jan 28 2011 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Religion is a very spiritual thing. It goes to heart and comes from heart. It’s a blessing when you stuck with it and can’t live without it by looking for new and new answers, advice. I’d think it’s quite private though. When you talk to an adult and accost him to read the Bible with you, it’s better not. Since the words will be bounced back to you in a painful indiffirence and misunderstanding. No questions will be asked, so why to bother. I think, every person should come to it by himself. So no forcing to being religious. To each its own. Respect the person as he is, his hobbies, his aspirations, his interests.

11:17 PM Sep 21 2013 |