Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

What's your country famous for??

saraparsi

saraparsi

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

About it’s history,any products so on?

For example Brazil is famous for its festivals,coffee,football.

So tell us.

01:41 PM Jul 08 2011 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

roukya

roukya

Morocco

Hi

nice topic really. well my country is famous for many things. The big couscous plate prepared in Agadir city in the south of Moroccco, and for many traditional things be it food, clothes, or festivals, iam gonna mention here the famous Moroccan festival of Sacred Music in Fez city in the North, and & Gnawa festival in Mogador city in the west without forgeting to mention the hospitality of Moroccan poeple

03:23 PM Jul 08 2011 |

saraparsi

saraparsi

:) Nice,so there are many festivals there.Thanks a lot.

05:21 PM Jul 08 2011 |

Monique Fernandes

Brazil

Hello, saraparsi! I am curious about something… why did you choose my country as an example? You know what? When I saw the title of the topic and then I saw your name as the person who posted it (I knew you were from Iran) I immediately rememberd some politics related topics (you may have an idea about what I am talking about) and I almost came here to comment about them and then I see you mentioning about my country. The politcs related stuff also came into my mind after I saw a map on the internet with the title “The world according to the USA”. I thought they’d mention about football, carnival, etc, but no, it was related to politics =P If anyone is curious enough to see that map, just let me know.

Forgetting about politics.. you’re totally right! Abroad my country is mainly known for the football (players like Ronaldo, Kaká and Roberto Carlos are always mentioned), Carnival as the most famous festival (no more comments about it lol), capoeira (a kind of martial art), caipirinha (an alcoholic drink which I’ve never tried as I don’t drink any alcoholic drinks =P), feijoada (a dish which include mainly beans and pork.. also I’ve never tried it as I am not allowed to eat pork lol), the coffee too as you said, samba (that dance/music style played during carnival), etc.. Of course Brazil is muuuuuch more than that but that’s what people abroad remember about my country mostly.

I also wanted to mention something about COSCOUS that was mentioned by songggg =P We have a dish really famous in this region I live now called CUZCUZ, similar name, no? I was checking in wikipedia about it and it says it has origins in Magreb =P Now I am taking a look in the English wikipedia and it has the following:

Couscous (play /ˈkʊskʊs/ or /ˈksks/) is a North African and Sicilian dish of semolina traditionally served with a meat or vegetable stewspooned over it. Couscous is a staple food throughout West Africa, the Sahel, France, Spain, the Canary Islands, Portugal, Madeira, Brazil, Italy (particularly in western Sicily’s province of Trapani), as well as in Turkey, Greece, Malta, Cyprus, the Middle East and India.

So, COUSCOUS is also famous in my country =P Add it on your lists xD

09:30 PM Jul 08 2011 |

saraparsi

saraparsi

songggg!

Lovely country!

09:23 AM Jul 09 2011 |

saraparsi

saraparsi

Hi,dear Monique Fernandes!

You know,I chose your country because maybe I know about Brazil more than other countries or you know Iranian people love Brazil,I think one reason is football,because Iranians do love football as much as Brazilians,even one of the cities here that is known as the birthplace of Iranian football,gave the title of Brazil to their football team,they wear yellow and blue shorts and they believe that they play like Brazil:) About one months ago,I was watching Ryo,that takes place in Brazil then all the family said that how happy the Brazilians are!

You say when you saw this post,you remembered politics topics.Can I ask you why?I didn’t get it.

09:40 AM Jul 09 2011 |

SantiagoC

SantiagoC

Uruguay

Football,

tango,

insolation.

05:42 AM Jul 26 2011 |

saraparsi

saraparsi

Dear SantiagoC!

Yes,exactly,I love Uruguay’s football.And let’s say congratulation to you because of Copa America.You were great and I’m a fan of Diego Forlan.

And also I love tango.

So I think I should plan to visit Uruguay one day.

09:51 AM Jul 26 2011 |

Monique Fernandes

Brazil

Hey Sarah xD here I am after my dear hard exams!

So.. I didn’t know that Iranians loved Brazil that much o.O I’m really impressed by that. :) I also watched RIO and it’s really funny xD I laughed a lot when Linda and Túlio were arriving in Rio de Janeiro and then a dancer crosses the street and then Linda asks if she is a profissional dancer.. and Túlio says “No, she’s my dentist” ahhaha XD I was coughing after that.. Anyway, about the politic topic was that.. as I saw you were from Iran, and as I told you about that map.. there Brazil had the title of Liberal Commies allied with Iran lol I don’t know if it was a good idea to say that.. but the fact is, Brazil and Iran are best friends when it comes to politics. Now let’s forget about politics xD

@ songgg

Cool!! Maybe the decendants of North African people brought this to Brazil too :) We have some Moroccan descendants here :)

01:46 PM Jul 27 2011 |

Monique Fernandes

Brazil

@ Santiago

You forgot about MATE and ASADO :P and DULCE DE LECHE!

01:48 PM Jul 27 2011 |

SantiagoC

SantiagoC

Uruguay

@ Monique

Yes, we’re famous for that in latin america, and actually for more things, but i guess that a person for iran or other far away place only knows about football and tango :P

10:18 PM Jul 27 2011 |