Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

In America, Fat is the New 'Normal'

mygreentree

China

full story

if you are from the states, just look around you, do you notice the clothes you buy are seem to all be wider than they were years ago? it's liking the clothing companies are leaving extra space for all the flab. lol

an american once wrote, "...that's because we are a nation of fat asses."

of course fat will never be a new normal, IMO, however, fat people are free to think fat is the new slim.

07:43 AM Aug 10 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Echo Wang

Echo Wang

China

Oh,, i have no idea, i am from China. In Chin few people are fat.

07:59 AM Aug 10 2007 |

june liu

China

the fat phonomenon is not noly exist in states but also in the other coutrys . now the life is better than before .

08:10 AM Aug 10 2007 |

mygreentree

China

echo wang, checkout "中国胖子(china's fattie)" on google, more than 10 million of chinese people are suffering obesity problem, you will find.

08:28 AM Aug 10 2007 |

worldmikel

worldmikel

United States

Despite the news reports, the USA doesn't have the market cornered on fat people. They are everywhere. Mostly due to packaged food. For two reasons: One, packaged foods have a lot of fats and sweets in them. Two, it is easier to prepare and eat. 

Before packaged food, fast food was raw fruits, nuts and vegetables. Big meals took much time to prepare, which is exercise, actually. After preparing big meals, there is not as much time left to over-consume.

I've seen fat people in abundance in the UK, South America and throughout Asia. Avoid the lure of fast, packaged food and you will probably not be obese. 

01:50 PM Aug 10 2007 |

yancy.yang

yancy.yang

China

you kwnow

most of the fat people in the wold

so if they kwnow that is warry.they will be low their bodys

I don't like fat 

02:00 PM Aug 10 2007 |

mygreentree

China

hey, yancy.yang,

you can't loathe a guy just because he is fat. i know some really fatties, but i think they're very kind and teach me many things. they're my friends.

07:30 AM Aug 12 2007 |

mygreentree

China

worldmikel, you said it! thanks for your reply. :)

07:32 AM Aug 12 2007 |

mygreentree

China

and look at the bright side, they don't drink half as much as we do… :D

12:50 AM Aug 13 2007 |

Echo Wang

Echo Wang

China

mygreentree
But you know, there are so many people in China, so.. 10 million isn't a large number. But actually, many people here, in my office are not very fat, or fat.  hhhh

02:23 AM Aug 13 2007 |

mygreentree

China

echo wang, sorry, im a number idiot. :D. i lost a zero, and that's should be 100 millions of fatties in china at the moment. cast your eyes to the whole china, lass. even though there are only 10 millions of fatties in china, it's been a BIG problem. we should think about why this phenomenon begin to come forth in china and what we can do stop it. 

02:45 AM Aug 13 2007 |