Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Does beer let you gain weight?

sherryleio

sherryleio

China

I wanted to ask this question because of this week's EAVESDROPING lesson BEER. I know beer is the most favorite drink in the USA and in many other countries too. It is now gradually so popular in China as well. When guys with big tummy, we often say, you have drunk too much beer. Is it true the beer will let you gain weight? maybe it is a silly question, huh…anyway, it is for English practice…BOTTOM UP, GUYS. LOL.

10:41 AM Sep 04 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

looool

looool

Oman

hey…..Cool

well i think beer let u lose BRAIN and LIFE lol….... im serious it's really disgusting drink…. i don't know how do people accept losing their mnds and dignitiy … well im really happy that i live in a society where we look down to those who drink it ..

good luck

10:59 AM Sep 04 2007 |

black"n"blue

Saudi Arabia

yes beer lets you gain weight .. thats why ppl say that guys who drink beer have beer belly's .. it means they are fat of drinking beer .. though if you wanna know more google it up

01:01 PM Sep 04 2007 |

milei13

China

i agree well.losing weight is difficult ,but ,drinking more beer is easy fat,hah,sometimes order to keep your healthy,pls,drinkg a little,....

10:14 AM Sep 05 2007 |

sherryleio

sherryleio

China

Yep, it is true, drinking a bit every day is good for health. It does me right to drink iced beer when I go for spicy food at hot summer days, and a little bit of red wine at winter days makes me feel warm too…I have dizzy moments once or twice in a year, but often it is party time with many friends, huh. Cheers!!

03:18 AM Sep 06 2007 |

worldmikel

worldmikel

United States

That is something that is unique to China – iced beer. Americans drink beer that is chilled in a refrigerator, but you'd never find someone add ice to make it cold. In China, you do this, though. I was in a restaurant and ordered a beer, it came warm. When I asked to have a cold one, they brought me a glass of ice! Tongue out I think some places in Europe they drink beer warm.

Beer will make you fat. At least it will bloat you, This is because of the sodium which causes you to retain fluids.  

10:40 AM Sep 06 2007 |

sherryleio

sherryleio

China

Huh, when I read Mikel's response, I just realized that I made a mistake by using ICED BEER…actually I was trying to say chilled beer, not really to add ice to make it cold. Do not take it as a common thing in China, lol.

Mikel, thanks for the reminder!

04:34 AM Sep 07 2007 |

poolie

United States

i was drinking beer nearly every day for a long time.  With in a month after not drinking i had lost what felt and looked like 10 lbs.  All from not drinking beer or liquer

08:40 AM Feb 07 2010 |

Radunagi

Radunagi

United States

Alcohol stops you from metabolizing fat.  When you drink alcohol, it will make your body add fat.  Alcohol is calories, so drinking more of it will make you gain weight.  喝酒,发胖。 (Drink alcohol, get fat)

That said, drinking in moderation has been proven to be healthy, and people who have say, a glass of wine a few times a week live healthier longer lives than those who don't drink or who drink a lot, and they are not fat.  喝酒一点儿,更好的生活 (Drink a little alcohol, better life).  This may come down a lot to discipline too, if you are able to control yourself with alcohol, you probably have self control with the rest of your life too, and what you eat.  But, on the other hand, the healthiest countries in the world are all countries that drink alcohol (not always beer), like Sweden, Germany, Canada, etc.  And having been to many of those countries, I can say they drink a lot.  So, take from that what you will.  When i was in China I would occasionally drink Yanjing beer.  it was refreshing for summer.

09:17 AM Feb 07 2010 |