Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

what stereotypes do U have about Russia?

Katerina

Katerina

Russian Federation

Hello,

a week ago I returned from Europe.I was slightly shocked by such a fact: when people found out that my friends and me were from Russia,they started to speak about – vodka, matreschka, cold war… =) All these are just stereotypes. Not so many russians drink vodka,we don't play with matreschka, bears don't walk in the streets in Russia. 

So I wonder what else stereotypes do U have about Russia and how u know about it?

10:58 AM Sep 16 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Linguist

Linguist

Russian Federation

I think, Dissipator, they are just having fun laughing at others. Unfortunately, they don't know any other features to laugh at, so they make use of the ancient stereotypes. I wonder if it would be funny, if we shot a movie where all the americans were narrow-minded, fat, money-striving idiots? (it's not that i think they are, it's a stereotype)))

09:51 AM Dec 17 2007 |

Dissipator

Dissipator

Ukraine

Linguist,
not so bad idea about film! :)) but on the other hand "nobody can point on your stupidity better then you can do it yourself" (dont remember who said, maybe i just found it myself this moment… he-he:) ). i mean let the Americans make dumb movies based on ancient stereotypes and let them laugh at them themselfes. And what about us… hmm… Let the world knows us only as a nation that makes REAL masterpieces such as Crime and Punishment, War and Peace… ;)

11:14 AM Dec 17 2007 |

sd194582

sd194582

China

hello

i am a chinese ,russian is one country near and it have the largest domain.in china i have not hear about many stereotypes of russian,and i know the most is from the history book,it said about  soviet  ,red army, marx,and so on,it is an example which we should study ,and now i often know about russian from TV or net , russian is under the leadership of putin president to develop economy 。as i know ,russian will become better to better .

11:35 AM Dec 17 2007 |

hlp

Algeria

many years ago, i had people from ussr as a Neighbors, they was very kind, respectful, i don't believe in stereotypes, maybe they have their own traditions but it's not their daily job. 

12:51 PM Dec 17 2007 |

Christoph07

Germany

I ve heard that the average life expectancy of male russians is at 59 years (“Rossiskaja Gaseta” ).

That must have reasons.

And perhaps one reason is the stereotyp that male russians are liking alcohol.

Another stereotype is that Russians are warm and friendly but very nationalistic too and the girls are pretty but the last one is a question of taste and a friendly but simple stereotype.

Stereotypes have to grow since longer times and are not showing the present often. The cold war had influence of many folks – thats why poland and chechz and other folks behind the old iron curtain are not liking the russians so much. Thats absolutly normally. Germans have the same problems with stereotypes because in history we were unfriendly to other folks too before the cold war.

10:58 AM Apr 22 2008 |

aljensen

aljensen

United States

Ruskiye lyudi nye pyut vodku? S'uma soshli?

03:38 AM Apr 23 2008 |

Linguist

Linguist

Russian Federation

Yes, Aljensen,
we are crazy. We do not walk around with bears, some of us do not drink AT ALL, and sometimes it`s even really hot here. 

06:26 PM Apr 25 2008 |

aljensen

aljensen

United States

I was in Sochi in August – and even there it wasn't that hot. If you want to see hot weather, come to Washington DC in July or August. Koshmar!

07:24 PM Apr 25 2008 |

diegoxta

diegoxta

Ecuador

i think russian people just think about money, and just that.. i used to live with russian people.. and also the girls are hot jajaja

07:32 PM Apr 25 2008 |

Linguist

Linguist

Russian Federation

Diego,
Los Rusos solamente piensen en dinero porque no tienen bastante )))  LOL

Aljensen,
Last August it was up to +40 in Mos, and me & my BF were crazy trying to stay alive. But…i think i`ve already posted that….

06:14 AM Apr 26 2008 |