Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

what stereotypes do U have about Russia?

Katerina

Katerina

Russian Federation

Hello,

a week ago I returned from Europe.I was slightly shocked by such a fact: when people found out that my friends and me were from Russia,they started to speak about – vodka, matreschka, cold war… =) All these are just stereotypes. Not so many russians drink vodka,we don't play with matreschka, bears don't walk in the streets in Russia. 

So I wonder what else stereotypes do U have about Russia and how u know about it?

10:58 AM Sep 16 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

aljensen

aljensen

United States

Right, but +40 is normal here (near Texas) in the summer. I was in Moscow in August two years ago and the weather was quite cool – like Spring. Yes, it can get hot in Russia, but it is not as hot as the US gets. My Russian professors said that for them, even Vermont seemed southern – because of the foliage, the temperature, etc.

10:18 PM Apr 26 2008 |

Linguist

Linguist

Russian Federation

But c`mon, we`re not the North Pole, as so many ppl think =) There are places much colder ))) And some much hotter than Texas ;))

12:56 PM May 03 2008 |

Ladygee929

United States

Unfortunatly stereotypes exist through out all nations big or small.  Last week I had a russian tenant come in and thank me for assisting her with a situation. She pulled out her purse and gave me a black bag. I said o no i cant, thank you but i really cant. She sed:please please for you. So I opened the bag and it was red linen table napkins. I said: wow thats nice of you but really i shouldnt. She said: please please (again). So out of the kindness of my heart I sed: ok, thank you. So now she said: Yes i know you americans like linen napkins I dont know why but you do. So I sed: I dont know about the other americans but I dont use linen napkins I use paper towels or paper napkins. Then she sed: dont worry you use them. So I just said: I will have a nice day! It didnt upset me though. I feel people say what they want to say and they should be allowed to, I think its up to the respondant to control their emotions to avoid escalation of dilemmas. 

05:14 PM May 15 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

My stereotype is that they're a very rough and hard people and don't have any compassion.

Another stereotype many people have in Europe and North America is concerning their women, that they're a bunch of golddiggers.

I obviously take these with a pinch of salt. My best friend is a Russian.

06:16 PM May 15 2009 |

Goofyguy

Goofyguy

United States

I've heard that Russian women are some really cold-hearted witches, personally. I can't speak from any experiece as I've never dated a Russian…

12:24 AM May 16 2009 |

stellastar

stellastar

Russian Federation

russians r very extraordinary people and i m proud of this fact)))but we have many negative features that s upset we r not ever able to make ourselves rich people i dont why (((u know we r owners of  such a big territory and we cant mamnage it properly  and though all these ergative we r intelligent people having great writers poets musicians  cosmonauts grat inventions politicians  RUSSIANS RUSSIA only straight away without curving and surrender!!!!

09:26 AM May 16 2009 |

SantiagoC

SantiagoC

Uruguay

when pple speak about Russia i think in a beautiful place and specially in the red square=P

02:29 PM May 16 2009 |

Whitney S

Whitney S

Colombia

NONE Cool

11:56 AM Dec 13 2009 |

soviet

soviet

Spain

Vodka haha, and also very quiet people and communism I think…but there are just stereotypes, I have some good russian friends!

04:03 PM Dec 14 2009 |

Nice shadow

United Arab Emirates

nothing

dont be upset

08:37 AM Dec 16 2009 |