Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

what stereotypes do U have about Russia?

Katerina

Katerina

Russian Federation

Hello,

a week ago I returned from Europe.I was slightly shocked by such a fact: when people found out that my friends and me were from Russia,they started to speak about – vodka, matreschka, cold war… =) All these are just stereotypes. Not so many russians drink vodka,we don't play with matreschka, bears don't walk in the streets in Russia. 

So I wonder what else stereotypes do U have about Russia and how u know about it?

10:58 AM Sep 16 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

maggnumm44

United States

Russia…well I love Russia…but people here do not really know muchabout it..
furry hats and vodka is what comes to mind. and every single russian person I have talked to has loved their vodka)))) not to say that all russians drink it.
and cold. which isn’t really a stereotype, more like a fact. beautiful girls. rude people.
OH and communists, even though russia is no longer under communism.

01:06 PM Feb 18 2013 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Yes, whoever foriegner I talk to – they’ve got the same stereotypes – Vodka, beautiful blond girls, communism… Oh, what can you say… just nothing… The same is about England ( beautiful lawns, huge love to pets..), Japan ( worship of nature, high technology, cleanliness, Budda), Ukraine ( gorika, salo, kozaks, hopak) and it’s non stop list.

02:04 PM Feb 18 2013 |

Du30Kky

Du30Kky

Sweden

I love Russia. :D

The stereotypes we have of Russia here, though I know it is untrue…

• Cold, snow everywhere

• Everyone wears fur hats, and fur coats.

• Smokers.

• Love vodka.

• Very strict.

• People can be violent. (A lot of skinhead men and guns)

• Most people are good looking, blonde and blue eyes.

• They’re all named Dimitri, Vladimir, and Olga.

• Lots of animals, mostly dogs.

• The men fight bears using their hands. :D

03:56 PM Feb 22 2013 |

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

Back in the Cold War the stereotypes I heard were that the women were even “sturdier” than the men. That the men had one eyebrow. That they came in two varieties, too lazy or too cruel.

Now it’s different stereotypes I hear mentioned. Beautiful women (that was a shock. Before the wall fell most Soviet women were portrayed here as monobrowed shotputters. Except the spies of course, Somehow they kept the fact of their beauty hidden from us).

Billionares. Lots of billionaires. Mostly from crime or selling hardware to terrorists. Lots and lots of crime and corruption.

Just stereotypes.

07:12 PM Feb 22 2013 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

WobblyJoe, yeah, beautiful women in Russia. I’ve been there, all of the slim, fashionable, on high heels and nice housewives. About sturdier than men. Not really, maybe now. About laziness, the Russian man is a handy man, most of them during the cold war when all the country’s money were aimed for arms race with US, and with this created lots of deficit, the russian just digged deeper into his datcha, trying to feed the family. Cruel – if you as an American will come to the Russian village, they will meet and treat you as a tsar!

08:15 PM Feb 22 2013 |

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

They were only stereotypes from the Cold War days. As for “sturdier”, when the women were portrayed here, back in those days, it was usually by a hairy man in a wig and fake eyebrows. Not flattering, but we never actually saw you back then. As for cruel, that was just James Bond villian stuff. I hope I didn’t offend you, but the stereotypes were pretty consistent. Ever watched Red Dawn?.

09:05 PM Feb 22 2013 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

I know this movie. Was recommended to watch here, but i’ve never seen it. 

A hairy man in a wig and fake eyebrows :) What a sense of humor! We usually portrayed Americans as blond, tall, smiling with Hollywood teeth, friendly cowboys, who go through any challenges as winners saying “I did it!” :)

09:17 PM Feb 22 2013 |

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

One of the funniest commercials, now remember the times, was the fashion show commerical. I have no idea what they were trying to sell but it was a fashion show and the first woman came out, a large mannish woman with a sledgehammer on her shoulder wearing a very bland gray outfit and the fashion show announcer says “Verk Vare”, next woman, same woman same outfit different thing in her hand “Evening Vare”, Next woman is the same woman in the same outfit with like an umbrella or something and the announcer said “Svim Vare”. I have no idea what it was about but the phrase “Svim Vare” is sometimes still used to describe an unflattering swimsuit among people old enough to remember that commercial.

Even back in the day we were tall friendly cowboys? Red Dawn is so bizarre it’s kind of hard to watch now. It was bizarre then too, but I can’t hardly watch it now. It’s a piece of propaganda not to be missed and has a great many actors who went on to become famous. The USA getting it’s butt kicked by Cuba.

How about “the Day After”? another propaganda movie that scared people.

09:26 PM Feb 22 2013 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

WobblyJoe, like that :))

09:29 PM Feb 22 2013 |

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

here they are advertising an upcoming television series called “Amerikan” about a family of Soviet spies in the US back then.  Hollywood sets new lows for originality.

09:31 PM Feb 22 2013 |