Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

what stereotypes do U have about Russia?

Katerina

Katerina

Russian Federation

Hello,

a week ago I returned from Europe.I was slightly shocked by such a fact: when people found out that my friends and me were from Russia,they started to speak about – vodka, matreschka, cold war… =) All these are just stereotypes. Not so many russians drink vodka,we don't play with matreschka, bears don't walk in the streets in Russia. 

So I wonder what else stereotypes do U have about Russia and how u know about it?

10:58 AM Sep 16 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

Yeah, hollywood and history. There are a great many movies involving Russia. You might find some from the 1950s kind of funny now. I think the only Russian movie I’ve seen is Potemkin.

03:26 AM Feb 23 2013 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Two Russian movies  that won Oscar award as the best foreign language film – Moscow doesn’t believe in tears by Vladimir Menshov (a very good movie) and Burnt by the Sun that got the same  award and was made Nikita Mikhalkov. These movies can tell a thing or two about a Russian character.

But, classic literature as well can reveal the beauty of the country and its people. I think a Ukrainian-Russian author, Nikolai Gogol depicted a gallery of Russian characters in his Dead Souls novel. Like that what he said about a Russian character :

“A Frenchman or a German would be incapable of envisaging and understanding all its peculiarities and differences, for his tone in speaking to a millionaire differs but little from that which he employs towards a small tobacconist—and that in spite of the circumstance that he is accustomed to cringe before the former. With us, however, things are different. In Russian society there exist clever folk who can speak in one manner to a landowner possessed of two hundred peasant souls, and in another to a landowner possessed of three hundred, and in another to a landowner possessed of five hundred. In short, up to the number of a million souls the Russian will have ready for each landowner a suitable mode of address”

04:47 AM Feb 23 2013 |

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

Hey, I realized something last night. It isn’t just Hollywood! Have you seen Potemkin? Everyone rewrites apparently.

You do remind me of another two stereotypes.

1. Russians love very long books. (long winters?)

2. Russians love classical music and ballet. 

Here, such deference based on wealth is considered unseemly.  Actually it’s considered European. Usually calling something Euro means its more sophisticated but not where it comes to how people are treated. 

03:56 PM Feb 23 2013 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Hey, I haven’t seen Potemkin but I know what’s it about, especially the famous, heart wrenching scene when a stroller is going down the stairs during the shooting.

Nice observation about Russians love to reading. In any kind of public transportation in Russia, you’ll see people reading.

Ballet and classic music also can be said in favor, but it’s mostly individual, but surely much more popular rather than American sport and cheerleading dance. And we like hockey. Many Russians are playing  in NHL.

Absolutely, I haven’t noticed the difference as well, wether you’re poor or rich, everyone is treated the same. That what I love about it. But that peculiar thing was noticed by genius Gogol, so, don’t blame me :)  

10:36 PM Feb 23 2013 |

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

Potemkin? Strollers? I don’t remember strollers. I do remember one going down the stairs in the Untouchables or one of those gangster movies. The Potemkin I saw was the battleship. They change the history to a happy ending though.  It usually makes the “Best 100 Movies” lists that magazines love to make up.

I love hockey. It’s big here too.  The only ballets I’ve ever paid to own DVDs of are all performed by the Kirov Ballet. I don’t know why, I don’t actually know much about ballet. They have a channel here that shows short cultural videos and I see them on there and sometimes they are amazing enough to prompt purchase.  Its a pretty good ballet that makes a redneck go buy it.

12:07 AM Feb 24 2013 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

There was a happy end for most of the sailors who sailed to Romania and stayed there merging into the society. The millitary disloyalty, disobedience is the worst crime in their circle  and no matter what you’re promised, there won’t be any amnesty. Like some of the ringleaders of Potemkin were excecuted or sentenced for imprisonment when they came back. But most who didn’t come back at least lived much longer, like the last survivor of the crew who died at the age of 102!! in 1987, in Dublin. The story reminds somehow the fate of the mutineers of the Bounty whose descenders are still alive on Pitcairn Island.

I know, in America the most popular sports are football, basketball, baseball. No ballet :) Hockey is not that much, I think, but the teams are pretty strong like New York Islanders. I was on the game while they were playing. Very impressive. I watched also Super bowl this year. I liked it. Such a coincidence it was when two brother were rival coaches.

In Russia, we have skiing, figure skating popular as well. Yes, it’s a wintry country.

02:57 AM Feb 24 2013 |

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

You might be surprised how popular hockey is here. Even cities that never freeze have professional teams. It’s more popular in the north of course but has fans everywhere. I think its more popular than soccer. Up north they also like curling. The sliding rock sport. And lacrosse.

Like the Mutiny on the Bounty movies, the movie Potemkin ends while the story is still happy.  

03:15 AM Feb 24 2013 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Yes, they have, like Florida Panthers and Tampa Bay lightning but I heard that no so many people go for to watch hockey, even with free parking, free hotdog, let alone huge discounts on tickets.

10:32 PM Feb 24 2013 |

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

True. Very true. But to be fair, it’s pretty nice there now and I’m looking out at a foot of snow.  I might be outside myself if I was there.

10:44 PM Feb 24 2013 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Lots of snow in some states. Winter:)

11:14 PM Feb 24 2013 |