Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

What do you do when somebody says " I love to know you better"

lips

lips

Malaysia

Tell me your experiences and share with me your thoughts.

04:03 AM Oct 10 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

roroo

United Kingdom

hi

10:28 AM Oct 10 2007 |

closehoney

closehoney

Philippines

I panic! LOL. I usually get embarassed. I wouldn't know what to say and I would find myself stuttering or saying something stupid that I would just want to kick myself on the butt!

09:26 AM Oct 11 2007 |

Yugin

Yugin

Ukraine

I love to know you better?

I can't understand, what is the problem here? Let him know you, or not if you don't want to.

01:56 PM Oct 14 2007 |

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

It should be 'I would love to know you better"or "I'd love to know you better." It really has nothing to do with the whole guy/girl thing, it's just a phrase that people use. It implies that you are very interesting and, to me, is less direct than 'I'd like to know you better." Why is that? I think it is because that the second version, with like, is a bit hesitant and personal while the first, with 'love' means that you have already made an impression on the person and that they are very curious about you. There is no hesitation at all. It doesn't mean that they love you. Of course in a text situation there is no voice heard so things can be misunderstood. 

Another way to use this is if a child, let's say, is explaining why they are late coming home. A mother would say, with her hands on her hips, "Well, I would love to know why you are late!" This shows impatience and worry as well as some sarcasm too.  

03:41 PM Oct 14 2007 |

naddito

naddito

Saudi Arabia

hi

i dont think there is any problem if one says so

it means he/she is interested in u and this is a good remark

09:28 PM Oct 14 2007 |