Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

What do you think are the advantages of attending school from a young age?

thisisbenmo

China

Some people believe that children should be allowed to stay at home and play until they are six or seven year old. Others believe that it is important for young children to go to school as soon as possible.

What do you think are the advantages of attending school from a young age?

In many places today, children start primary school at the age of 6 or 7 years old. However, most of parents nowadays both work full-time and they are unable to take care of their children in daytime hours, so there is little opportunity for children to stay at home up to that age. Instead, children are sent to a nursery school or a preschool before beginning their student life in a primary school.

While some people think this may be damaging the relationship between parents and their children. Because if parents send their children to a nursery school, they will have little time to spend with their children, in fact there are many advantages in attending school from a young age.

Firstly, those who having school experience at their early age have good interpersonal relationship with others. They tend to get on well with other children of a similar age and be good at making friends as well. This is less likely happen at home when they are the only child or their brothers and sisters are younger or older than them.

Furthermore, children will learn to interact with a lot of different people. They are generally more confident and independent than children who stay at home with parents and who are not used to strangers or new situations. Such children find their first day at school very frightening and this may have a negative effect on their study.

To sum up, I believe that children should be encouraged to go to a nursery school and preschool before attending primary school. Attending nursery school may be the best way to provide them basic skills which they will benefit a lot in their further study.

11:16 AM Nov 24 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

munchkinxo

munchkinxo

Philippines

In my opinion, it's a good idea to send children to school at  a young age. Kids will be able to explore a lot of things and interact with other children, which I believe is helpful for their development both socially and emotionally.

Parents should be sure to guide their kids along the way.

11:46 AM Nov 24 2007 |

gigi2550

gigi2550

Thailand

People have different views on sending kids to school at young ages. Many parents believe the earlier their kids get into school, the faster they catch up with friends and society and make them grow up fast and smarter.

Another hiddenagenda is that parents these days have to work outside, moms have to work , too. Sending kids at earlier ages menas their "little"  burdens are relocated to school and theoir teachers. still too young aged kids may get problems with adjusting themselves to new environment

so it affects their mind and ability at school

and society

well, that 's an issue

01:34 PM Nov 24 2007 |

Ashlee Liu

Ashlee Liu

China

I believe that it is good for young children to attend school because they can learn at appropriate ages.It is said that children have abilities of learning who can accept knowledge more easier than adult.I personaly think there are many advantages of attending school at a young age.I am just wondering if maybe the reason is that I am Chinese.In China,children go to school at 6 or 7.

01:59 PM Nov 24 2007 |

Denirom

Denirom

Romania

There is no reason for children to go to school earlier than  6 – 7 years age. They can do in preschool all the activities they need to learn something new and play games in the same time. They are free to move and they can consume their energy. I know a lot of children who, in their first grade, can't stay at his / her desk and that annoys the teacher. A ten minutes break is not enough and a child feel the need to move and play. Also, I know children who, after 5 years of school, can't read and write, can't resolve a simple math problem, when his class colleagues can do all this things very easy. That child shouldn't be at school, so what is the reason to force him to be there. Because the school is compulsory? Why that child didn't learn anything from school and most of the time don't even let his colleagues to learn because he want to play in classroom, why that child must be there at school?

So, let's not try to force things. There is a time for everything, for school to.  

06:09 PM Nov 24 2007 |

princeton_girl1010

Israel

in here the children go to school from an early age … when the kid is almost 6 years he can go school and learn everything how to write and read and do math and everything :) i think it's a great thing to go to school in age six ^^

09:16 PM Nov 30 2007 |

COTTON CANDY

Philippines

My baby was timid before thats why I brought her in school at age 3.Whenever I had a visitor she was hiding at the door and didnt want to talk to anybody even to our neighbor.Interaction with other children is my main reason in sending her to school,besides she develops her cognitive skills at early age.Now that shes 4 years old,she had a lot of improvements,she can read simple sentence already.

08:37 AM Sep 07 2010 |