Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

Proper use of English...

original12Super Member!

South Korea

Is it weird to say "Come to here"? I hear some people say that "Come to the caffeteria", "Come to my place", and "Come to the library"... But I don't think I have ever heard people say "Come to here"... Are you supposed to just say "Come here"? Why do you ommit "to" in this sentence? Is there any rules that you use "to" between 'come' and 'a place'?

Also, is it weird to say that "I paid it with 'my' cash"? Do you have to say "I paid it with cash"?  I don't get why I should drop 'my" before cash…

My last questions is that when someone asks me that "Do you have a change(or changes?) for 5 or 20?", what do they expect me to say What could be my answers for that question?

Thanks a lot!

07:13 PM Nov 08 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Hi!

Typically come is used to talk about moving to or toward something, but it is true that we do not say "come to here." The "to" is implied when we say "come here."

We don't use "my" when saying something like "I paid with cash." The important information in this sentence is how you paid. Again, it is implied that the cash belonged to you. You don't need to state it.

When someone asks if you have change for a 5 or 20, they want to know if you can give them small bills for their larger bills. For instance, they might want five one dollar bills in exchange for a five dollar bill. A good answer is "Sorry, I don't have it." If you do have the change, you can just say "sure" and give the person the small bills in exchange for the big bill (just make sure the amounts are the same!) Money mouth

Amy

09:37 PM Nov 08 2010 |