Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

grammar point

teric1987

China

Hi, I have some questions. I wanna know how to use the conditionals, such as would, could, might etc. in the real situation. Like sentence “I would go.” this sentence looks like a past tense. However, It is a present tense.  That is so confusing….

08:24 PM Oct 10 2012 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

For your first question, “this” refers to the previous sentence about the re-election of Barak Obama. Sometimes, if you can’t find what a pronoun refers to, you can find it in the previous sentence.

The answer to your second question is similar. The full sentence is:” Like, someone who is a good listener, but when the time comes can do what they need to do with everything they’ve listened to and take decisive action.” “Someone,” from the first part of the sentence, is the subject of the second clause. You don’t always need to repeat the subject.

Hope this helps!

—Amy

01:56 AM Dec 16 2012 |

yuminaga

yuminagaSuper Member!

China

What’s so funny is that !  I dont understand it ! what’s= what is ,right?

What is o funny is that,! my gosh ,I cant get the point !

03:03 PM Dec 26 2012 |

yuminaga

yuminagaSuper Member!

China

I hv more question about like how to use word . there is definitely rules to the game ,  how about  rules for the game ,or game rules 

11:04 PM Dec 27 2012 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

More good questions!

For your first question, “What is” is the subject of the sentence. In this case, rather than being a question, “What” means something like “the thing that,” so it means, “The thing that is so funny…” Think of it as the answer to the question “What’s so funny?” You could simply reply with, “What’s so funny is…”

For your second question, either “rules to the game” or “rules for the game” is correct. You could also say, “The game definitely has rules.” You would not say “game rules.”

Hope this helpful!

Best,

Amy

01:25 PM Dec 28 2012 |