Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

Skydiving

sherry12181@gmail.com

Taiwan

HI

i have a grammar qusetion

“the regrets you will face later having not done it”

i don’t understand why “have + ing”

01:56 AM Dec 12 2013 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

In this case, “having done it” is an adverbial clause that is non-finite. That means it doesn’t have a time marker. Normally, the two clauses in a sentence need to have the same verb tense to show when something happened. Here’s an example:

“I ate dinner, and I went to bed.”

If I want to combine these two clauses and take away the repetitive “I,” I can rewrite the sentence like this:

“Having eaten dinner, I went to bed.”

When you see an adverbial clause like this, you will always use the form have + ing + past participle.

Best,

Amy

07:44 AM Dec 16 2013 |

sherry12181@gmail.com

Taiwan

Hi

“the regrets you will face later having not done it”

so the sentance mean “the regrets you will face later and you will not do ”??

03:22 PM Dec 16 2013 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

The sentence could be translated as, “the regrets you will face later when you will not have done it.” Both clauses are in the future, but the first is in the simple future, while the second clauses uses the future perfect tense.

Check out the Ebaby! grammar link: http://www.englishbaby.com/lessons/grammar/future_perfect_tense for more information on the future perfect tense.

Best,

Amy

12:05 AM Dec 19 2013 |