Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

Pronunciation

britdam007

britdam007

India

“Forest deparment officials tried to treat the elephant for the better part of the day on Thursday but she died around 8:30 pm.”

My question to you is, in the above sentence I would like to know the pronunciation of the preposition ‘for’ in fluent English, i.e. whether the pronunciation of ‘for’(especially when it is used in the middle of the sentence) becomes | fər |  or rather | fer | ? 

Is it true that when the preposition ‘for’ is used in the begining of a sentence the pronunciation of it becomes | fɔːr |

Example:  For | fɔːr | all I know, the mayor hasresigned already. 

Do you agree with me?

Best regards,

Abhishek

01:25 PM Dec 26 2015 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Hi,

This is a very interesting but also very complex question. The answer will vary from person to person.

Language learners learn best when they have a personal reason for learning. Because of this, it depends on why a person wants to learn a UK or US version of English. If a person wants to work in the US, it may be psychologically difficult for them to learn the UK style of English. 

Does that make sense?

Best, 

Amy

12:22 AM Jan 05 2016 |

britdam007

britdam007

India

Apart from the vowel sounds and some American Idioms both the accents are quite similar, isn’t it? So don’t you think a person who has an English accent can master the standard American accent? But it is not the other way around unless an American stays in Southern England for a considerable period of time. What do you think?

Best regards,

Abhishek

08:32 AM Jan 05 2016 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Hi,

This is a big topic because accents and dialects are very sociological and psychological. People often speak in a way that is similar to their friends, family, and/or co-workers. They can also learn the accents/dialects that are spoken by the social groups that they admire. 

I don’t think we can generalize about how easy/difficult it might be for an entire group of people to learn another accent/dialect. This type of learning is very personal. For example, a US English speaker who admires the British accent will probably be able to learn this accent by studying it from afar. Watching movies and listening to podcasts is a great way to do this. 

Best, 

Amy 

09:51 PM Jan 05 2016 |