Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Teacher Talk

Understanding American English Phrases

englishteacher24/7

United States

Greetings everyone!  It is my pleasure to return to writing mini lessons on understanding American English phrases.

For those of you who have been following my mini-lessons, I want to apologize to you (especially to those who wrote comments) for my mistake in deleting the posts.  If anyone wants a copy of the last 9 mini-lessons, please send me an email with “Request Mini Lessons” on the subject line and I’ll send you a copy.

We left off on the following phrases:

Hand-over-fist / Between a rock and a hard place / Back in the day

Since I’m starting over, this will be Mini Lesson No. 1, so “on with the show!”

1. Hand-over-fist 

This phrase is used primarily when describing someone/something that is earning money in a fast profitable manner.  Please study the following examples:

1. Henry and his brother Jack had an idea to sell flavored bottle water to people on the island, and they were making money “hand over fist” in their  business endeavor!

2.  Money lenders can make money “hand-over-fist” by charging various transaction fees.

3.  You can make money “hand over fist” if you supply goods to a market with strong demand and no competition.

Background of the phrase:  The origin of this phrase appears to be nautical from sailors who would reel in rope by placing a hand on the rope and pulling and then placing and pulling with the other hand, thereby, using a hand-over-hand motion until the rope was completely in. This phrase is commonly used in everyday American English by someone who wants to quickly convey the message of somebody making money fast, there may be some sarcasm in their tone of voice.  The other person may reply, “yes and they were laughing all the way to the bank!” (phrase for another lesson, try to understand the context)

2.  Between a rock and a hard place

This phrase indicates that a person is in an unfavorable position of having to make a decision which has choices that are undesirable.  In literal terms, it would express the thought of something caught between a rock and something else hard.  Whatever the hard place is, the result is the same, that is, entrapment.  Consider the examples:

1. Sally says to her mother: “Mom, I have 2 important tests to take for my final examination in school and I only have time to study for 1 of them, I’m really stuck “between a rock and a hard place,” help!”

Mom to Sally: Sally, why did you wait so late to study, you should have allowed yourself enough time!”  Sally to Mom: “Mom, that’s water under the bridge!” (another lesson, understand by the context)

2. The company’s policy was never to eliminate personnel due to financial reasons, however, the economy is so bad that they may have to go out of business unless they can reduce the budget.  Therefore, the company is “between a rock and a hard place” not to eliminate employees.

3. My parents are not in good health and need my help, however, I must work to be able to support them.  I am “between a rock and a hard place” to decide what to do?  

You can understand from the examples above that being “between a rock and a hard place” means having to make a difficult decision with either decision not being desirable.

Background of the phrase:  From Greek mythology of Odyssey.  This phrase is used commonly in everyday English.

3. Back in the day

This is a relatively new phrase that is being used to describe something that happened in the past.

1. “Back in the day” before computers, we relied on writing letters or sending telegrams instead of simply sending an email! 

2. “Back in the day” in high school, chess was a very popular game to play!

3. “Back in the day” during the 1950’s and 1960’s, love song lyrics were very romantic!

You can see from the use of this phrase that it is referring to something that happened during a time in the past that the speaker is causing the listener to refer to.

Background of the phrase:  This is a slang phrase that came from American urban life which has made it’s way into mainstream American English.  It’s used in informal conversation by young and old.

Well, it’s good to be back, thanks for all of the emails and friend requests I’ve received.  Some of you are really serious about learning English and I’ll do my best to help you understand authentic American English. 

Here is my suggestion for you to learn English: Read, Write, Speak and think in English!

Until the next time!

07:11 AM May 15 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Miss Kate

Miss Kate

Russian Federation

Thank you for such interesting and useful lessons

11:09 AM Dec 23 2011 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

You’re welcome!  If you like to have the first 10 from another time,  please send me an email requesting them.

02:00 PM Dec 23 2011 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

Examples of the phrases “caved” or “cave in” in the US news.

Background: In the US congress there has been some intense disagreements between the Democratic and Republican parties. The latest was concerning a 2-month extension of a payroll tax to continue to tax American workers at a lesser amount. The Democrats were for it and the Republicans was against it. The extension is scheduled to end on January 1, 2012 which would result in reduce take home pay for over 160 million workers. If it would happen, many people may blame the Republican party which in an election year would not be good for them. Therefore, they changed their mind and gave President Obama and the Democratic party a politcal victory.

The phrase used to describe this type of activity is called “caved” or “caving in” which was the phrases in Mini Lesson No. 21.

Here are some actual headlines of the use of this phrase:

1. “President Barack Obama rejoiced as Republicans caved in and approved 2 more months of fatter paychecks.” New York Daily News 12/23/11

2. “Boehner Blasted Before Caving On Payroll Tax” WLWT.com 12/22/11

3. “GOP freshman: House caved to Dems again, gave gift of uncertainty. ” The Hills Blog Briefing Room 12/22/11

4. “Why the GOP caved in the payroll tax fight: 4 theories” theweek.com 12/1/11

5. “Krugman: “Obama caved in over tax cuts” and Republicans “expect him to cave again”” Americanblog.com 7/11/11

6. “Republicans cave in, hand Obama big victory” By Arun Kumar, IANS two circles.net 12/23/11

7. “Concessions or a Cave-In?” insidehighered.com 6/2/11

To read Mini Lesson No. 21, please scroll back to page 23 and the posting dated 11/29/11.

09:26 AM Dec 26 2011 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

I HOPE 2012 WILL BE THE YEAR THAT YOU ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS!

09:09 AM Jan 01 2012 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

Mini Lesson No. 23 – Pushing the envelope / Stay put / Back down

A. Pushing the envelope: To reach or exceed established boundaries or limits.

Origin/background of the phrase:

The origin of this phrase may come from the field of aviation where an airplane’s limits are realized.  Tom Wolfe’s book, “The Right Stuff,” written in 1979 was about airplane test pilots and the early space program popularized the term.

Example sentences:

1. The iphone was “pushing the envelope” when it used technology to compete against the desktop computer.

2. Employee-to-boss: Boss, I need to change my scheduled vacation time-frame from July to March.

Boss: We are extremely busy right now and we need you.  Your request is really “pushing the envelope!”

Employee: I’m aware of it, but I’ll be very appreciative if you will approve my request!

Boss: Okay, but when you return, I expect you to hit the ground running!

Employee: You got it, boss!

3. When political candidates “push the envelope” they may go too far and not be elected.

B. Stay put= To remain in your present location.

The origin of the phrase is difficult to determine.  It is used informally to indicate someone or something is stationary.

Example sentences:

1. Taking a vacation can be expensive, but if you “stay put” you can save money!

2. My mother wants me to “stay put” and do my homework!

3. I hope the picture frame will “stay put” and not fall off the wall.

C. Back down= To stop challenging or pursuing something.

The origin as a phrase appears to have started in the 1990’s.  You will find it in newspaper articles or news reports in describing someone who has stopped fighting for a ‘cause’ or something similiar.

Be careful not to confuse this phrase with the literal meaning of the phrasal verb “back down” which means to reverse your direction such as in the statement ”...going back down the ladder.”

Example sentences:

1. Its obvious the second place candidate is not going to win the election, therfore, he should “back down” and save his time and money.

2. “If you “back down” from being unreasonable, you may be able to persuade your opponent!”

3. The legislature will not “back down” from raising taxes.

English lessons from within:

Literal definitions can get you into trouble if you’re not careful.  Combine dictionary meanings with real life meanings using context as your guide.  Think about what the speaker is saying. Sometimes you have to “read between the lines.”

“Reading between the lines” is to determine what the speaker mean without it being expressed in a direct sense.

For example: If a job position appears to be open at a company but your friend in the human resources department says to you: “I wouldn’t get my hopes up!”  This statement means the company has already determined they have someone to offer the job position to, but is going through the formality of the interviewing process.  Your friend cannot tell you that information officially because they could get fired.  You “read between the lines” to understand what is being communicated indirectly.

I hope this information will be helpful as you continue to learn English.

The phrases for Mini Lesson No. 24 are:

Over the long haul / Not on my watch / You know what

You can now follow me on Tweeter, here’s the link:

https://twitter.com/#!/247Englishteach

The key to learning English is to take every opportunity to read, write, listen and speak in English.  Until next time, have a nice day!

10:02 AM Jan 28 2012 |

Gucci Yeung

China

Thanks for the wonderful lessons, dear teacher. Looking forward to Lesson No.24!

02:38 PM Feb 02 2012 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

You got it, Gelo!

04:26 PM Feb 02 2012 |

cliffordhu

cliffordhu

China

Hi Sir,

Learnt about your profile and the lessions, do think your age, working experience and everythink prepared you to be a very good teacher for me, other than language.

Would you please send all your mini lessons to my email , I will leart from you from now on. Appreciate your help in advance!

09:40 AM Mar 24 2012 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

Hi Clifford,

Yes, life experiences has taught me a lot of practical things that I use in my lessons.  I sent the mini lessons to your email address as per your request.

If you give a person a fish dinner, you feed them for a meal, however, if you teach them how to fish, you feed them for a life-time!

04:13 AM Mar 26 2012 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

Mini Lesson No. 24 -Over the long haul/Not on my watch/You know what

A. Over the long haul: For a lengthy period of time.

The origin of this phrase dates back to 1925-30.  It comes from the thought of trucks hauling cargo over long distances.  Its used in conversational English to describe something that is considering the long term results and not the immediate time frame.

Example sentences:

1. Saving money can be a sacrificial habit but “over the long haul” you can accumulate a large sum of money.

2. My job doesn’t pay a lot, but “over the long haul” I will acquire a lot of experience which will make it worth it.

3. If you exercise regularly, “over the long haul” it will be beneficial to your health.

B. Not on my watch: Not during my time of responsibility.

The timeframe of this phrase is not determined, however, its a nautical term.

In the nautical field, day and night is divided into “watches” such as the first watch, second watch, third watch, etc.  If someone is on duty, they are responsible for anything that happens during their “watch.”  “Not on my watch” means they do not want any problem to happen during their time of service.

Examples:

1. I’m not going to lose 3 astronauts, “not on my watch!” (from Apollo 11 movie)

2. The production quantities cannot be below the minimum amount, “not on my watch” said the production manager.  We’ll celebrate when we exceed the expectations!

3. I don’t want the ordered supplies to miss the next flight and be late on arrival, “not on my watch!”

C. You know what: A phrase which precedes a statement to bring emphasis to the object of discussion.

This phrase dates back to the mid-1900’s and is a short version of “do you know something?”  A person will speak this phrase just before making a statement that they are passionate about, either positive or negative.

Its a very over used expression in conversational English.  It is not a question that seeks an answer.

Examples:

1. Parent-to-child: “You know what? If you don’t improve your school grades by next semester, your free time is gone!”

2. “You know what?” If it continues to rain, our crops will be destroyed!

3. ““You know what?” I think you’re a fantastic person!”

D. How phrases are used

Phrases are used as a short-cut to expressing a thought without saying it in a long formal way.  Also, the speaker is usually passionate about the thought they are expressing.

Not always, but oftentimes the thought is of a negative nature.  The speaker is expressing a complaint or praise about something.  Context will determine which one.

For example a person may say, ”...that new restaurant is the bomb!”  This is slang for ”...that new restaurant serves very good food and has excellent service!”  In other words, the person was very pleased with the experience they had at the new restaurant.

Along with learning English, you must learn conversational English, or you won’t be able to understand a lot of what natives are saying.

Be encouraged, it’s not as difficult as it may seem.  If you are consistent, you will gradually learn as the occasion presents itself.

I’m preparing a new lesson on “Comparing learning English to learning how to ride a bicycle” using satire humor which will be located in the humor learning section on my profile page in about a week.

The phrases for Lesson No. 25 are:

A piece of cake / Comes out in the wash / The proof is in the pudding

12:55 PM Apr 07 2012 |