Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Teacher Talk

Understanding American English Phrases

englishteacher24/7

United States

Greetings everyone!  It is my pleasure to return to writing mini lessons on understanding American English phrases.

For those of you who have been following my mini-lessons, I want to apologize to you (especially to those who wrote comments) for my mistake in deleting the posts.  If anyone wants a copy of the last 9 mini-lessons, please send me an email with “Request Mini Lessons” on the subject line and I’ll send you a copy.

We left off on the following phrases:

Hand-over-fist / Between a rock and a hard place / Back in the day

Since I’m starting over, this will be Mini Lesson No. 1, so “on with the show!”

1. Hand-over-fist 

This phrase is used primarily when describing someone/something that is earning money in a fast profitable manner.  Please study the following examples:

1. Henry and his brother Jack had an idea to sell flavored bottle water to people on the island, and they were making money “hand over fist” in their  business endeavor!

2.  Money lenders can make money “hand-over-fist” by charging various transaction fees.

3.  You can make money “hand over fist” if you supply goods to a market with strong demand and no competition.

Background of the phrase:  The origin of this phrase appears to be nautical from sailors who would reel in rope by placing a hand on the rope and pulling and then placing and pulling with the other hand, thereby, using a hand-over-hand motion until the rope was completely in. This phrase is commonly used in everyday American English by someone who wants to quickly convey the message of somebody making money fast, there may be some sarcasm in their tone of voice.  The other person may reply, “yes and they were laughing all the way to the bank!” (phrase for another lesson, try to understand the context)

2.  Between a rock and a hard place

This phrase indicates that a person is in an unfavorable position of having to make a decision which has choices that are undesirable.  In literal terms, it would express the thought of something caught between a rock and something else hard.  Whatever the hard place is, the result is the same, that is, entrapment.  Consider the examples:

1. Sally says to her mother: “Mom, I have 2 important tests to take for my final examination in school and I only have time to study for 1 of them, I’m really stuck “between a rock and a hard place,” help!”

Mom to Sally: Sally, why did you wait so late to study, you should have allowed yourself enough time!”  Sally to Mom: “Mom, that’s water under the bridge!” (another lesson, understand by the context)

2. The company’s policy was never to eliminate personnel due to financial reasons, however, the economy is so bad that they may have to go out of business unless they can reduce the budget.  Therefore, the company is “between a rock and a hard place” not to eliminate employees.

3. My parents are not in good health and need my help, however, I must work to be able to support them.  I am “between a rock and a hard place” to decide what to do?  

You can understand from the examples above that being “between a rock and a hard place” means having to make a difficult decision with either decision not being desirable.

Background of the phrase:  From Greek mythology of Odyssey.  This phrase is used commonly in everyday English.

3. Back in the day

This is a relatively new phrase that is being used to describe something that happened in the past.

1. “Back in the day” before computers, we relied on writing letters or sending telegrams instead of simply sending an email! 

2. “Back in the day” in high school, chess was a very popular game to play!

3. “Back in the day” during the 1950’s and 1960’s, love song lyrics were very romantic!

You can see from the use of this phrase that it is referring to something that happened during a time in the past that the speaker is causing the listener to refer to.

Background of the phrase:  This is a slang phrase that came from American urban life which has made it’s way into mainstream American English.  It’s used in informal conversation by young and old.

Well, it’s good to be back, thanks for all of the emails and friend requests I’ve received.  Some of you are really serious about learning English and I’ll do my best to help you understand authentic American English. 

Here is my suggestion for you to learn English: Read, Write, Speak and think in English!

Until the next time!

07:11 AM May 15 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

englishteacher24/7

United States

Mini Lesson No. 6  Just for the Record / Off the record / The Jury is still out!

1. Just for the record = Let's get it straight. This phrase precedes a statement to place emphasis on the main point.  Another way to say it would be "as a matter of fact…"  The background of using this phrase would be during a more intensive discussion, not necessarily an argument but it could be.  Here are some example statements:

1. Just for the record, I never told you to go there!

2. Just for the record, we never suggested this product!

3. We didn't have enough time to take a tour of the castle, therefore we arrived home too late.  Just for the record, I told the trip administrator before the plans were made.

You can see from these examples there is a sense of slight confrontation or defensiveness in the tone of the statements.  It's not rude to use this phrase, however, it is used when you want to make a strong point.

2. Off the record= Literally means not to record a statement as a matter of public record.

In everyday conversation, it means that the person is going to express their opinion but doesn't want it to be known as an official statement. Here are some sample sentences:

1. This is off the record, but I don't think this product will sell well in the marketplace!

2. My friend wanted our true feelings about the examination test, so off the record, we told him.

3. He said his comments were "off the record" and didn't want them included in the article.

Background of the phrase: This phrase may come from the field of journalism.  A person who expresses himself in confidence but doesn't want to go on written record and have it be known in public.

In practice, using this phrase becomes a "moot point" because after requesting confidentiality, it may very well become public knowledge.

3. The Jury Is Still Out= A final decision hasn't been made.

Literally speaking, a jury is a group of 12 people who sit in judgment of a court case. When the jury is out, it means they are in the jury room discussing the case to determine if the defendant is guilty. Therefore, a decision hasn't been made until the jury returns to the court room with a verdict.

When a person uses this phrase, they are saying that there is no decision concerning someone or something. Here are some examples:

1. The Jury is still out on the new rules for socceer.

2. The Jury is still out on hiring new workers.

3. We were hoping for a new school building but the Jury is still out!

Background of the phrase

This phrase can be traced back at least 160 years to an article in The New York Daily-Times, May, 1850 – "The (Gardiner Trial) Jury are still out, with no prospect of immediate agreement."

Detailed explanation on the phrase:

Some students may understand "The Jury" part of the phrase but not understand the "Still Out" part of the phrase. Here's the understanding:

Still= To continue       Out= Outside of the courtroom and into a deliberating room which means a meeting room where the jurors can decide the facts of the case. In summary, the full phrase would mean: the Jury is currently in the meeting room and a decision has not been decided.

This phrase is used both formally and informally in everyday English.

Well, I hope these explanations will help to build your vocabulary of phrases and their meanings.

I will conclude with my usual tongue exercise:

"Surely Shirley shall sell Sheila's seashells by the seashore!"

The next mini lesson is scheduled to be on the following phrases:

A moot point / On the cheap /  Holding down the Fort

07:21 AM Sep 08 2010 |

jayyy

jayyy

India

Great. it's very useful.

07:56 AM Sep 12 2010 |

Meyra

Meyra

Turkey

"Just for the record,I didn't do anything wrong."

"Off the record,I don't think that he'll be succesful."

"The jury is still out on prohibition of hunting dolphins in Japan."

Thanks a lot teacher! 

07:26 PM Sep 15 2010 |

brad21

brad21

India

Great work , thanks!!

07:13 PM Sep 19 2010 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

Jayyy and Brad21 I appreciate your feedback.  Meyra you get an "A" for your use of the mini lesson no. 6 phrases. 

For those of you who don't know it, Jayyy wrote a fantastic lesson on American English that you ought to read in the Teacher's Forum under the title "American English."  It took a lot of work on his part and he is to be commended.  Leave him some comments to show your appreciation.

Lesson No. 7 is coming so stay tuned!

11:25 PM Sep 19 2010 |

Zambuka

Zambuka

United States

Thank you , mr.Alston:)

04:18 AM Sep 20 2010 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

Mini Lesson No. 7  A moot point / On the cheap / Holding down the fort

1.  A moot point = An insignificant statement, that is, the statement is meaningless and not worth discussing.  Here are some sample sentences:

1. Informing someone that an airplane can travel faster than an automobile is a moot point.

2. To recommend that we lock the barn doors after the horses have escaped is a moot point.

3. It's a moot point to say we should go to the store when it's closed.

Background of the phrase:

It has been said the term "moot point" is a legal term which lends itself to a debate. In the United States it came to mean that there is no purpose in debating something that really doesn't matter.

2. On the cheap = Paying the least amount of money for something.

Example sentences:

1. While attending school, I was living "on the cheap."

2. If I go on a vacation, it will have to be "on the cheap!"

3. With the poor quality of these photographs, this camera was made "on the cheap!"

You can see from the above examples, that using the phrase "on the cheap" is used when you want to express that you want to spend the least amount of money in combination with things that are free.

This phrase is commonly used which you'll find in newspapers, magazines and in informal conversation.

3. Holding down the fort = Maintaining or managing an area when the majority of people and leader are gone.

This is a military term describing a fort (military base) where an army is located. When the army left the fort to attack the enemy, a few soldiers would be left to guard and maintain the fort. This was expressed as "hold the fort" meaning maintain the fort until the army returned.

Therefore, when used in a sentence, the meaning is that a person or a few people are taking care of an area of responsibility. This phrase is used infrequently and informally. Here are some examples:

1. Sam – "Hello Mary, it looks like you're "holding down the fort" in the store today!"

Mary – Yeah Sam, somebody has to!

2. The department personnel was "holding down the fort" in the absence of our vice-president.

3. The factory management expects a few workers to "hold the fort" instead of hiring additional workers.

This phrase is appropriate when the situation presents itself. It is usually used by older people.

By increasing your database of phrases in combination with formal English, you'll increase your ability to understand native speakers.  

Do you understand this statement?

"Finders keepers, Losers weepers!" 

Finally, since I recognize that you would like to know how to learn English more effectively, I am preparing a new post entitled: "Analyzing A Child's Method of Learning to Speak English Fluently" to examine how children can go from infancy to fluent English in 5 years or less without any formal language education. 

This information can be used for learning any language. Let us know your thoughts.

Next mini lesson phrases are scheduled to be:

A needle in a haystack / The tables have turned / Give you a heads up

06:03 AM Sep 22 2010 |

PinkButterfly

United States

Hello everyone,

"holding down the fort" is a good one. I heard it a lot as a kid…......

01:11 AM Sep 25 2010 |

Meyra

Meyra

Turkey

"Finders keepers,losers weepers." 

OK,I have no idea about what does that statement means but I think I can drop a comment by appearance of it.If you good at taking care of your responsibilities,to evaluate the opportunities which you got,you may get good things and chances in life.And if you keep complaining about how unlucky you are and blame everyone else except yourself,then you are a loser who is too passive in the life.

I hope this is true some degree and you,who knows that what does this tatement means please don't laugh at me :)) 

01:03 PM Sep 26 2010 |

Cathy O(∩_∩)O~

China

thank u,Alston.it's easily understand,and usefulSmile

01:36 PM Sep 27 2010 |