Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Teacher Talk

How to Teach "Kick Ass" Spoken English

andylu2

andylu2

Canada

If you are teaching ESL, you know already how retarded the lessons the schools provide are.  I've had students hate my classes for years before I finally learned to give them what they want.  They always said "teach me something INTERESTING"  The problem was I had no idea what they thought was interesting and they couldn't give me examples.  

I found out that "INTERESTING" meant something fun that they can use.  The kind of slang we use in real life and the funny little stuff in movies.  If your students can learn to say something cool or funny and get a laugh out of westerners, they will love your classes.  

Teach them a simple slang word they probably don't know and make sure they understand how and when to use it.  Come up with several examples and get them thinking of some too.

For example, teach a word like "Cougar"

A "Cougar" is an older woman who goes to bars and likes to date younger guys.  It's a funny idea and it's a word they would never have learned in school.  It will spark a debate about if this kind of person is good or bad and get a lot of things going at once.  It's "INTERESTING" and you'll be the teacher of the year. 

It's not always easy to think of millions of good terms and examples.  The best lesson plans I've ever used by far are here:

College Spoken English Lesson Plans

<!-Session data->

08:15 AM Oct 13 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

am3ir

am3ir

Kenya

ot is so inteststing

09:23 PM Oct 17 2010 |

kwasibabyboy

Ghana

hi, how are everybody i hope each and everyone are doing well by the grace of almighty God.this David  a boy of 20 years old.i,m a student of kalpohin Anglican junior high school.and i want to friend with you.i will like to end here and hear from you.hopping to hear from you. have a nice day.

09:17 PM Oct 21 2010 |

tarcisio

Brazil

It is great!!!!

01:15 PM Oct 26 2010 |

nuriali

Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

hi dear

08:07 PM Oct 31 2010 |

suprianto

suprianto

Indonesia

andylu2, u seems so familiar with american english… tell us more

09:37 AM Nov 02 2010 |

Has123

Palestinian Territory, Occupied

you are right ,andylu2, cos students are not after meta language and they want something to be usable in their daily life, or at least they could meet these expressions in the movies they watch.

10:01 AM Nov 05 2010 |

michael-michael

Turkey

friend… look at this this two adresses if you want… i will help your english..

i used it before. i think these are the best…

http://3b39aeey6pxx2radivm7q9t9z9.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=DTLYX7JD

AND

http://19d71eb86hw6xw39q-pyviduda.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=DTLYX7JD

11:38 PM Nov 05 2010 |

english_center_Indonesia

Indonesia

Well Folks, you can also find something to learn if you pay a visit to: englishcenter.web.id

See you there, Folks…

05:11 AM Nov 09 2010 |

royalmayur

United Kingdom

Hey ,

Much appreciated as it will help to get perfect.

Cheers

Regards

new cutting edge pre-intermediate 

07:11 AM Nov 12 2010 |