Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Einstein on religion

gkisseberth

Germany

I think this perfectly sums up how I feel. More evidence that his was a great mind

"The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish.

from the Daily Telegraph

Einstein letter shows disdain for religion

By Stephen Adams Last Updated: 4:32PM BST 13/05/2008 Albert Einstein regarded religions as "childish" and "primitive legends", a private letter he wrote a year before his death has revealed.

The great scientist's views on religion have long been debated, with many seizing upon phrases such as "He [God] does not throw dice" as evidence that he believed in a creator.

But the newly-unveiled letter, a response to the philosopher Eric Gutkind, has cast doubt on the theory that Einstein had any belief in God at all towards to the end of his life.

In the letter, dated January 3 1954, he wrote: "The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish.

"No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this."

Einstein, who died the following year aged 76, did not spare Judaism from his criticism, believing Jewish people were in no way "chosen" by God.

He wrote: "For me the Jewish religion like all others is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions. And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people.

"As far as my experience goes, they are no better than other human groups, although they are better protected from the worst cancers by a lack of power. Otherwise I cannot see anything 'chosen' about them."

The letter, which for decades has been in private hands, has come to light as it is to go on sale at Bloomsbury Auctions in Mayfair on Thursday. It is expected to sell for up to £8,000.

Educated at a Catholic primary school but given private tuition in Judaism, Einstein later wrote that the "religious paradise of youth" – when he believed what he was told – was quickly crushed when he started questioning religion at the age of 12.

He wrote: "The consequence was a positively fanatic freethinking coupled with the impression that youth is being deceived by the state through lies; it was a crushing impression."

But many of his pronouncements appear to support a belief in a divine being, or at least a wish to believe in one. The same year he wrote the letter he also said he wanted to "experience the universe as a single cosmic whole".

11:03 PM May 14 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

M. Augustus

United States

I'm irritated at the last paragraph.  The notion of the universe as a 'whole', although somewhat 'spiritual', in no way implies belief in a deity in the superstitious sense of the term.

Otherwise, very nice Gkiss. 

01:04 AM May 15 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

I thought exactly the same thing about that last paragraph. Science's search for a single unifying force seems to be in the same vein and isn't in any way a wish to believe in a divine being. 

01:14 AM May 15 2008 |

hekmer

hekmer

Saudi Arabia

OK,

MY DEARS

ASK IENSTIN , FROM WHERE YOU … O, IENSTINBROUGHT YOUR IDEAS ABOUT THE FACTS ABOUT THE RELITIVETY AND THE LIGHT YEAR … ?? !!

IENSTIN HAD BEEN GOEN, IF YOU WANT TO TAKE HIM WITH YOU AS DISBELIEVER … OK … GO IF YOU CANBUT YOU MUST KNOW THAT HE NOT RESPONSIBLE ABOUT YOU AFTER HE HAD DEATHHE HAD BEEN MET HIS DEEDSBUT WHO STILL NOT WAIT THAT

01:20 AM May 15 2008 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

if einstine was born exactly 1300 years ago in saudi arabia, and did all his research and propogated it, he would have been called a prophet,

04:11 AM May 15 2008 |

Elendrina

Italy

yes i agree with you Justic.I think Einstein geniality is limited.He was not able to overcome the experiences of his religion and failed to open his heart to the work of God.His focus on Science blinded him to see what real life is.Discoveries could still go on but God knows already everything and if we miss the real point of life all of our works are just in vain

09:08 AM May 15 2008 |

birgül1

Turkey

gkiss,

I see you.you dont prove your opinion by science,and you try to find someone to support your opinion.

dont forget!

if even all scientists and whole people say:we have no faith,this cant change the truth.

they close their eyes to sun and they say we dont see sun,so there is no sun.

in fact,

there is sun

12:31 PM May 15 2008 |

hekmer

hekmer

Saudi Arabia

الشيئان اللذان ليس لهما حدود، الكون وغباء الإنسان، مع أني لست متأكدا بخصوص الكون.
أهم شيء أن لاتتوقف عن التساؤل.
أجمل إحساس هو الغموض، إنه مصدر الفن والعلوم.
كل ماهو عظيم وملهم صنعه إنسان عَمِل بحرية.
إذا لم يوافق الواقعُ النظريةَ، غيِّر الواقع.
الجنون هو أن تفعل الشيء مرةً بعد مرةٍ وتتوقع نتيجةً مختلفةً.
الحقيقة هي مايثبُت أمام إمتحان التجربة.
يستطيع أي أحمقٍ جعل الأشياء تبدو أكبر وأعقد، لكنك تحتاج إلى عبقري شجاع لجعلها تبدو عكس ذلك.
الخيال أهم من المعرفة.
الحقيقة ليست سوى وهم، لكنه وهم ثابت.
يبدأ الإنسان بالحياة، عندما يستطيع الحياة خارج نفسه.
أنا لاأفكر بالمستقبل، إنه يأتي بسرعة.
من لم يخطئ، لم يجرب شيئاً جديداً.
العلم شيءٌ رائعٌ، إذا لم تكن تعتاش منه.
العلم ليس سوى إعادة ترتيبٍ لتفكيرك اليومي.
لايمكننا حل مشكلةٍ باستخدام العقلية نفسها التي أنشأتها.
الثقافة هي مايبقى بعد أن تنسى كل ماتعلمته في المدرسة.
المعادلات أهم شيء بالنسبة لي، السياسة للحاضر والمعادلة للأبدية.
إذا كان أ= النجاح . فإن أ = ب +ج + ص. حيث ب=العمل. ج=اللعب. ص=إبقاء فمك مغلقاً.
كلما اقتربت القوانين من الواقع أصبحت غير ثابتة، وكلما اقتربت من الثبات أصبحت غير واقعية.
أنا لاأعرف السلاح الذي سيستخدمه الإنسان في الحرب العالمية الثالثة، لكني أعرف أنه سيستخدم العصا والحجر في الحرب العالمية الرابعة.
أثمن ما في العالم هو الحدس أو الفكرة اللامعة.
الأمر الوحيد الذي أسمح له بالتدخل في علمي وأبحاثي هو معلوماتي وثقافتي الخاصة.
العلم بدون دين أعرج، والدين بدون علم أعمى.
أنا لست موهوب، أنا فضولي.
بين الماضي والحاضر والمستقبل ليس هناك سوى وهم في تفكير العقل البشري.
إذا لاحظتم أن الأوقات الحزينة نشعر بها أنها طويلة بينما الأيام الفرحة تمر كالدقيقة وهذه هي النسبية.
أفضل عادة سيئة صامتة عن فضيلة متكابرة.
العقل البديهي هو هبة مقدسة، والعقل المعقول هو خادم مثمر.
لقد اختلقنا مجتمع يحترم الخادم وينسى الهبة المقدسة.
كل الديانات، الفنون والعلوم متفرعة على نفس الشجرة.
النسبية تعلمنا الرباط أو العلاقة بين الأوصاف المختلفة لشيء ما مع الحقيقة ذاتها.
الجاذبية ليس لها علاقة بالوقوع في الحب.
إن أشد الأشياء إستغلاقا على العقل في هذا العالم إن العالم يمكن تعقله.

01:29 PM May 15 2008 |

M. Augustus

United States

I KNEW Birgul would be around to cut-and-paste something he saw on the internet into this thread.  

I see you.you dont prove your opinion by science,and you try to find someone to support your opinion.

So let me get this straight.  When you post (as you just did) ridiculously long, boring lists of scientists who believe or quotes from prominent Westerners who converted to Islam, that's proof.  But when Gkiss. quotes someone who held a different opinion, then it doesn't matter what scientists think?

02:43 PM May 15 2008 |

hekmer

hekmer

Saudi Arabia

AND TO  ................ the small fool brain of java …

BEFORE 14 CEN. WE HAVE THE TRUTH IN OUR ISLAMIC  COUNTERIES, SO YOU WHO ARE THE POOR

ALLAH THE CREATOR SAYS IN HIS HOLY QURA'N :

( والسماء بنيناها بأيد وإنا لموسعون )

( WITH POWER DID WE CONSTRUCT THE HEAVEN. VERILY, WE ARE ABLE TO EXTEND THE VASTNESS OF SPACE ( THEREOF ) .

BUT EINSTIN HAD NOT BEEN BELIEVING ABOUT THAT BUT HE FOUND IT IN ONE OF HIS CALCULATIONSAND BECAUSE OF HIS FOLLY, HE CHANGED THAT BUT WHAT HAPPENED AFTER THAT …. 

OK , SEE BY YOUR SELFE IF YOU HAVE UNDESTAND ABOUT THIS ….......

Unfortunately, the scenario seems to lead to some unacceptable consequences, so modifications must be sought.

this is your truth … semi like Einstin when he had the bigest mistake in his life to be acceptable about  fact of the expanded universe …

THEN, HE WAS A LIER ABOUT THIS FACT TO HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED AS HE ADMITTED IN THE LAST PART OF HIS LIFE

1. THE FACT HERE

http://skyserver.sdss.org/dr1/en/astro/universe/universe.asp

2. THE MISTAKE HERE

http://discovermagazine.com/2004/sep/the-masters-mistakes

3. THE CORRECT HERE :

http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu//full/1966ApJ…145..544H/0000544.000.html

02:50 PM May 15 2008 |