Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

People Who Deserve To Die

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

You may think this subject to be a little awkward, but I was just curious what people who grew up in different cultures think about this: Since my last semester on Secondary School we've often read books at school that deal with the subject justice and usually this makes us bring up the subject whether or not you can say that some people deserve to die. What do you say? Do you think it to be justified to kill a human being if he or she is really extremely…evil?

Just to give you an example I personally think that nobody has ever deserved to die nor will there ever be a person of whom I'd say that he or she deserves to die. In my opinion there isn't a single thing in the world that justifies murder. Of course I still have to admit that the world would be better off today if several people (terrorists, dictators etc.) never had existed or at least would have died before they could do any harm. I know this opinion of mine may be a little extreme, but can I help it? That's just what I think! That's just part of my personality!

P.S. I apologize for the upsetting caption. It was just to awake the users' curiousity.

03:12 PM Sep 14 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Hossam_bounab

Algeria

I agree with LEMPIKA and that's my point.

It depends on the crime and the perpetrator him self,if he is as you said Dorothy before a psycho or crazy,then he is not to be considered as someone who did it with all conscience and free will.

By the way my country doesn't use death penalty :) they even release every year after Ramadan a great deal of condemned peolpe from the prison as asign of mercy,but most of them they were cought back to their jails !!! Personally I agree with death penalty but not the dectatorian  one.

After all I should denote that death penalty IN ISLAM is not as in governement trials,It depends on the case the murderer commited his crime in,and also depends on the victims family,they decide,if to take revenge from the killer or forgive him ! :) I think this is the total justice.

KILLING CRIME IS SOMETHING THAT SHOULD BE DEALT WITH SEVERELY OR CHAOS WILL SPREAD AROUND 

I just want to denote something for you Dorothy or rather it is a question ;)

Are you posting this thread to discuss this issue because you want to know more;or you posted it to convince with you point of view ? :)

Thanks for letting me sharing my comment ;)

11:09 AM Sep 19 2010 |

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

Hossam_bou
nab

To answer your question: I've had two reasons to post this subjectLaughing: As I told you we've often discussed things like these since my last semester on Secondary School when we read a book in which one of the protagonists killed the antagonist. When our teacher asked us whether or not we think this murder to be justified most students said they thought it to be justified indeed and that this villain should have died a more cruel and painful death.Surprised To be honest I didn't really expect them to say things like these: After all we live in a country without death penalty and I just wanted to know now what people who grew up in different cultures (maybe even in countries that use this kind of punishment) say on this subject. However you are right: I also wanted to tell you my opinion on this subject and I don't really mind when the things I post also convince other users from my ideas. Laughing.

03:22 PM Sep 20 2010 |

Hossam_bounab

Algeria

Faith from
U.S.A.

What's you story with Hamas ? I see you in every thread condemning it.

As my knowledge tells me,Hamas is a revolutionary movement raised in Palestine against the invedes of Israel who killed and tormented children before women as we see everyday on TV, So what do you say about Isrealis ?!!! In fact I agree with Abukato in some of what he said

You seem just very hateful and ready to kill whatever…!!! 

04:31 PM Sep 26 2010 |

Saladeen

Saladeen

Pakistan

" So that we may not be mislead by the plausible name of mercy into doing an opposite wrong, let us enquire what mercy is'.

(Seneca, in a letter to Emperor Nero on the subject of mercy and Justice)

Mercy is a beautiful virtue but often used in a looser usage, mercy is not pity, neither it is kindness nor humanity. It is a specific form of restraint, by which one decrease a punishment that is both deserve and due. 

When we say Genghis Khan butchered countless people 'mercilessly' we are using the term loosely, for we mean that he treated them cruelly or inhumanly. The looser use is now the commonest one. 

The opposite of mercy is not strictness – which is virtue too; as Seneca says, 'One virtue can not be the opposite of another' – but cruelty. To punish a malefactor more severely than he deserves is cruel.   

'Let the punishment fit the crime'.

08:07 AM Sep 27 2010 |

Hossam_bounab

Algeria

Haha…Romio must die …lol XD

07:44 PM Sep 27 2010 |

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

Faith from
U.S.A.

Thanks! I'm glad you wrote a comment against people who deny horrible events like these and I also thank you for the information you posted: It proves that it's total nonsense to deny obviously real historical events like these.

Abukato

I'm not sure, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but when you wrote "High Hitler" was that an allusion to the Hitler salute? I just wonder, because it's not "High", but "Heil" (a German word). As a matter of politeness I don't want to tell you what I think of your comment, Sir, but I just wanted to clear up this little misunderstanding. On the other hand the Hitler salute is forbidden anyway-in Germany aswell as in some other states. Anyway I just hope you don't mean all the things you post on the Internet seriously.

P.S. That's not an allusion to anybody in particular, but I just ask the users of this website not to post any rude comments in my forums. Please stay polite and…as respectful as possible.

10:51 AM Sep 30 2010 |

razzaghi

razzaghi

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Faith from
U.S.A.

Thanks! I'm glad you wrote a comment against people who deny horrible events like these and I also thank you for the information you posted: It proves that it's total nonsense to deny obviously real historical events like these 

hey Dorothee!

I don't deney the event but I have some questins about that; is that a crime!? So I deserve the death!?

06:16 AM Oct 04 2010 |

razzaghi

razzaghi

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

hey Faith!

what are you telling to me!!

hehe

How are you!

06:42 AM Oct 05 2010 |

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

Faith from
U.S.A.

I never said death penalty was wrong! I only said I think it to be a morally wrong thing-though I understand that there are people out there saying you deserve to die for horrible deeds like murder or rape for example. Still I'd be glad if the users who comment on this forum wouldn't say that any particular user of this website deserves to die. Don't get me wrong: Me too I sometimes meet people here who annoy me very much, but I'd never say they really deserve to die for being annoying. After all this forum was meant to be general, meaning you can write that people deserve to die for the things they post on the Internet,-to give an extreme example-but I simply ask the people who post their comments here not to mention any particular name (except for the names of famous criminals, terrorists, dictators etc. of course). Have a nice day!

05:40 PM Oct 05 2010 |

Hossam_bounab

Algeria

Dorothee

Thanks for you neutral comments.but I think this thread is a bit abusive especially for those fanatics who think all people deserve to die with an atittude full of hatred.

I am a muslim,So I ask sister Faith,do I desrve to die ?! and why ?!

I see in your comments so much hatred and descrimination if not to say racism towards ALL Muslims !!! who tought you that

06:22 PM Oct 05 2010 |