Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Why am I Muslim ? ... Why am not I Muslim ?

alshehri2005

Saudi Arabia

many people want to know …why are not u Muslim? or why are u Muslim ?

Plz. respect all of religions ….

Regards

12:23 AM Oct 19 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

lind@

lind@

Algeria

thanks dear Redwana and Lenaaa,u gave a good real  examples to those who believe that Islam and Muslims are…........etc.

11:11 AM Oct 22 2007 |

djguy

djguy

Bahrain

heyy ppl…stick to the topic..this is not a debate between Islam and Christianity!

anyways since all of u took the freedom to talk so much..lemme also take mine..

firstly ppl, i would like to inform my frndz like progression and others out there that covering the heads of women is not just mentioned in quran , but also the Bible..

read : 1 Corinthians 14:3-5

"But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God. Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered,dishonoureth his head. But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven."  

YOUR bible  mentions that women should have their heads covered or else its better to SHAVE them off.  Atleast Islam isnt as strict as christianity!

moreover you were talkin about womens status..lets have a look at what the Bible says about women: 1 Corinthians 14:34-35Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church. 

1 Timothy 2:11-12

Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach [didaskein], nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. In other words, Paul is saying, "I'd never let a woman teach man;Paul didn't want women to teach men anywhere, any time; that's just as perfectly plain as any Christian doctrine can be, but the plain truth is hard to for some people to see—especially those who embrace evangelical feminism, pretend not to see what's there for all to see, and deliberately engage in false teaching to promote their own social agenda.

so why then do we find christian women as teachers when its Totally forbidden by christianity?  why??

and why do christian women go to churches with their heads uncovered? do they not see the warning of the Bible?? 

The bible teaches us in “1 Timothy 2:11-14” that only eve, as a woman was in transgression and not the man ! Therefore all women in christianity are viewed as not capable to teach men, which is confirmed moreover in classic bible commentaries of renowned christian scholars. Women in the bible are viewed as the gender whose easily deceived and therefor not fit to teach men. Moreover the bible in “1 Corinthians 14:34-35” tells us that it as a shame for women to speak in the church or in public assemblies, which moreover prooves that women in christianity never can hold any position of "leadership" or "teacher".

In christianity women are not given this right.  St. Tertullian in his famous treatise 'On The Veiling Of Virgins' wrote, "Young women, you wear your veils out on the streets, so you should wear them in the church, you wear them when you are among strangers, then wear them among your brothers..."

Compare this to islam which allows women to be a scholar and teach men ! compare this gift given to women in islam with the curse given to them (to be in silence and forbidden to teach men) by paul in christianity. Women in islam were scholars and taught men, see:http://www.islamfortoday.com/womenscholars.htm  

From all the above evidence, it is obvious that Islam is not the only relegion to introduce the veil !

12:42 PM Oct 22 2007 |

djguy

djguy

Bahrain

by the way…the verse which mentions beating is not be taken in the literal sense.The Arabic word used in Noble Verse 4:34 above is "idribuhunna", which is derived from "daraba" which means "beat".  The thing with all of the Arabic words that are derived from the word "daraba" is that they don't necessarily mean "hit".  The word "idribuhunna" for instance, could very well mean to "leave" them.  It is exactly like telling someone to "beat it" or "drop it" in English.

the Quran clearly says:

"...Do not retain them (i.e., your wives) to harm them…(The Noble Quran, 2:231)"

12:54 PM Oct 22 2007 |

spicytropic

Malaysia

I totally disagree. I am a Moslem woman, and yet I enjoy every freedom of action, speak my mind freely. I think the condition of the women moslem is condoned not by religion but the traditional value of the society or country they live. I live with no limitation of freedom in MALAYSIA!

01:22 PM Oct 22 2007 |

lips

lips

Malaysia

I just want to let some of you know that in Malaysia, the police do not simply detain anybody who does not fast in Ramadhan and sent them off to jail.

Its not like that of an Arab country, we're not Arab society.  We have both civil and syariah laws and not fasting is not considered  a very serious offence, just not respectful of the Ramadhan.

They are just being ticked off by the religious officers not the police, so please don't simply say about another person's country unless you are really living in it.  I wouldn't dare say about America, or Saudi Arabia, or Iraq or even compare it to Turkey because our friends from these lands can tell more whether they practice secularism or not. 

Its just that this kind of topic does not go well with people of other faiths and we should not create unnecessary disharmony on this site.  Rather we should focus our energy on encouraging everybody to discuss other matters which is not pertaining to religion.  If you like religion discuss it with the people or scholars who have studied religion as core subjects not lay mans like you and me.

No matter how religious or pious a person is, its not for us to judge outwardly, just leave it to the Lord.

Thank you Mr. Progression for sharing your opinions, I know you think a lot but… 

I like you a lot…. 

04:35 PM Oct 22 2007 |

BaRbIcAn88

BaRbIcAn88

United Arab Emirates

iN mY oPiNiOn, If tHe MusLimS nOwAdAys fOllOw  tHe reAlLy rUleS oF IsLaM ,

tHe foRiEgN pOePlE WiLL nOt tHinK tHaT OuR WoMen R iNfErIoR..

tHe tErRoRiStS  R tRyInG aS MuCH aS tHey cAn 2 dEfoRm tHe iSlAmIc FamE .. 

SoRRy 4 bAd EnGlIsH..

05:06 PM Oct 22 2007 |

keep

Turkmenistan

i like know only trust (*imuslim)

i don't like know trust ( *not muslim)

05:49 PM Oct 22 2007 |

lips

lips

Malaysia

You know what, my Saudi Arabian colleague once told me about two years ago, when I asked him about questions why this and that with the Muslims and their family situation.

Most of the time, the born Muslims here are not even aware of the true teachings because they took things for granted where as if you have just converted you'll realise being a Muslim is quite a challenge.  He also mentioned the lack of proper knowledge of the Syariah.

Sometimes, men oppress women is because of the culture of the forefathers, not something Islam would do.  Who would want to live a life like the Prophet?  But when it comes to adding quota in number of wives, the men are ever so eager will you marry me and be no. 2, 3 and 4.

Look at the Prophet, he did this to help women who already lost their husbands or were just simply divorced and by marrying them gave them status.

Reflect upon your own society, would you say nice things about single parents or bad slutty girls who flirt around like a party animal or guys who drink too much and its wine, women and song.  Islam does not permit all this.  then why, majority of people are drinking and messing around with girls overseas if not in their own country.

I have a young daughter now, and my priority is to protect their minds from getting polluted by media and wrong company.

As for my son, he is old enough to take care of himself but some years ago, it was guy and guy when girls were not available.  how could it happen in Muslim environment.  Crazy isn't it.  too much aping the west and media.

Number two, you must adapt to your original culture which you are born with, learn the Arab style and know other styles of Muslim societies in other regions.

Then read the Quran and the Hadiths and come back to basics.

Why would a girl not veil herself when she was young and when she gets old cover up?  To hide all the flaws of life…?

I wonder, holding hands in public, why do it?  Islam prohibits but nobody wants to follow.

I saw all this every time, when I was travelling to foreign land.  I really got cultural shock with the young people nowadays and not believing the old either.  They say life is too short… sheer madness I tell you…

From your old aunty here on the net…hahha 

09:59 PM Oct 23 2007 |

djguy

djguy

Bahrain

well said!..aunty;)

05:17 AM Oct 24 2007 |

djguy

djguy

Bahrain

dear progression,

u quoted.."But it is a fact that islam enforces women to cover up their body except their faces"

and u kno what? so does christianity!

The headcovering is a must as derived from the verse of corithians.in fact its better to SHAVE  the uncovered head.

btw abot the explanation on"beating"..i do not intend to elaborate on it as this will get too long (n boringLaughing).

but just for ur sake of understanding lemme quote a verse from ur bible to prove to u what happens if u consider the literal meaning:

"...who, like you, will have to eat their own filth and drink their own urine?"  

the verse from 2-kings 18:27 refers to eat ur SHIT and drinking URINE. Get it?

and lemme elaboarte some more on the status of women in christianity..

Man can sell his daughter.( Exodus 21:7).

Her husband to rule over her. (Genesis 3:16).

". . for it is a SHAME for women to speak in the Church" (1 CORINTHIANS).

The bible itself ( 1 Corinthians 14:34-35) confirms that it as a shame for women to speak in the church or in public assemblies, which  proves that women in christianity never can hold any position of "leadership" or "teacher".

i repeat my former line once again..

"compare this gift given to women in islam with the curse given to them (to be in silence and forbidden to teach men) by paul in christianity"

06:08 AM Oct 24 2007 |