Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

how to write an essay well?

thang77

Viet Nam

I am wondering if somebody could tell em how how to write an essayin English well.Thanks in advance!

01:45 PM Apr 05 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

thang77

Viet Nam

let's talk about the topic:patience and responsibility

You know,we must have patience and responsibility if something wants to be done successfully.

01:48 PM Apr 05 2008 |

freedom-soul

United Arab Emirates

Ooh no … not again :(

you remind me about my eassy which was the exam !! damn it .. i thought i am great in writing eassy yet, the topic was so complex and made me mixed up everything :( i will fail absolutely !!!

so sorry can't help you !!

just wanna to tell you that writing eassy depened at first in the topic and before you write you just do " plan " write your ideas & the facts !!

I WILL try to come back later :( i feel bad coz you remind me about my exam !! so sorry GOOD LUCK FRIEND ;)

08:39 PM Apr 05 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

as freedom said, take time to PLAN and ORGANIZE your essay before you just start writing.  Then take time to edit and REVISE when you are done. 

My students a practicing for the TOEFL test. The TOEFL has one essay type writing task. You are allowed 30 minutes. I recommend to my students that they use about 5 minutes planning, 20 minutes writing and another 5 minutes revising. 

The traditional way to organize an essay is I-B-C

Three main parts – Introduction

Body

Conclusion

The introduction and conclusion should be one paragraph. The body should typically be 2 to 4 paragraphs depending on how many supporting ideas you have for your main point or thesis. 

Follow Blitzkrieg's advice and search further and you will find writing sites that can offer more detailed advice. 

Good luck 

01:27 AM Apr 08 2008 |

thang77

Viet Nam

thank all of you very much! I'll try my best to write a good essay.Then please give me your idea!

Be my friends!

02:20 AM Apr 08 2008 |

thang77

Viet Nam

This is my essay,if there are any mistakes,help me correct it please.Thanks in advance.Be my friends!Have a nice day!

Two years ago,my grandmother was cured from a fatal disease.All my family was very nervous when we knew that mw grandmother might live no longer than a week. But the doctor told us not to worry, they'll try their best.Magically,my grandmother got over the disease thanks to the help of the doctors with their patience and responsibility.When my mother was in the hospital, there was always a nurse beside her bed. Although we knew it was very difficult,all of my family as well as the doctors were patient to help her.The best doctors in the hospital checked her health regularly evrery two hours.

After six days,all of my family seemed to be hopeless,but a doctor told us not lose heart because impossible is nothing.The time they checked her health got closer to each other.They gave her the best medicine.Using the most modern equipment,they hoped to last her life longer.The seventh day seemed to last very long.That day went by and she was still alive.The next days,she got better and better.Not only my family but also the doctors felt happy.

We were told that although she got over the most dangerous time,she was too weak to do anything and she still needed taking care of.As well as a few days ago,there are doctors checking her health every two hours and a nurse always beside her bed tho help her whenerver she coughed or felt unwell.

Now, my grandmother can do housework such as cooking or doing washing up.I'll never forget the doctor's saying:''It's my work.We'll do everything as long as we can help the patients''.I myself now relize that up to now,impossible is nothing if you do with your best patience and responsibility.

03:36 AM Apr 09 2008 |

nichol147

nichol147

Malaysia

hai thang777..i think you do the essay.That good

03:15 AM Apr 10 2008 |

tiffintime

tiffintime

Sri Lanka

Quite good, I would say. Just a few suggestions from me:

my family was very nervous when we knew that

Instead of "nervous", I would prefer to say "worried" or "upset".

my family seemed to be hopeless,but a doctor told us

This could be rewritten as "my family seemed to have lost all hope, but…"

impossible is nothing This phrase was used in an Adidas advertising campaign, but we normally say "nothing is impossible".

http://www.adam-mcfarland.net/sl-ye-archive/2006/05/impossible-is-nothing.html

08:41 AM Apr 10 2008 |

freedom-soul

United Arab Emirates

back … Embarassed sorry to late..

sure thang77 i will check it for you know

but, what's the eassy question ? << this is the main thing that you should follow

08:43 AM Apr 10 2008 |

freedom-soul

United Arab Emirates

Ooh man you have lot of mistakes in grammar , spelling and connect sentences.

but don't worry i am checking & correcting it now ! i will put it soon with some advices !

brb ^^

09:32 AM Apr 10 2008 |

freedom-soul

United Arab Emirates

here it is … BUT  you should write a title FOR any essay .. i  guess you can write " nothing is impossible " Wink 

Two years ago, my grandmother was cured from a  fatal disease. My family and I were very worried when we knew that my grandmother may live not longer than a week. But the doctor told us not to worry; they will try to do their best. Magically, my grandmother got over the disease so, thanks for the doctors' help with their patience and responsibility. Later, when my mother was in the hospital, there were always nurses beside her bed. Although we knew it was very difficult, all of my family as well as the doctors were patient to help her. The best doctors in the hospital were checked her health regularly every two hours.

After six days, all the family seemed to be hopeless, but the doctor told us to not lose our hopes because nothing is impossible. The final diagnosis for her health got closer to each. They gave her the best medicines and used the most modern equipments because they want her to live longer. The seventh day seemed too long. That day went by and she was still alive. The next days, she was getting better and better, not only my family felt happy but also the doctors were too.

We were told that although she got over the most dangerous time, she was too weak to do anything and she still needed some care. Till now, there are doctors checking her health every two hours and the nurse always beside her bed to support her whenever she coughed or felt unwell.

Now, my grandmother can do many things such as, cooking, sewing, and washing up. I will never forget the doctor's words," It's my work. We will do anything as long as this thing we do can help the patients''.  Now I realized that nothing is impossible if you do your best with patience and responsibility.  

________

Some notices * if you meant (1 nurse) it's ok you can let it , if you meant many nurses you should say there were nurses.

* it is ok to say " my family " but you repeated a lot so just want to change.

* They gave her the best medicines, using the most modern equipments  

Gave past .. so use should be past too  

not only my family felt happy but also the doctors were too. Iam not sure from this sentence let any native speaker here check it. Doctors were tooOr just doctor were.  

some care OR YOU can write " someone to take care of her" it's up to you

* the doctor's words OR what the doctor said.  

** What do you mean by this sentence " I myself now realized that up to now" ??  

Try to re-write it friend and i am quite sure that you will make it great =) Nothing is impossible .

10:43 AM Apr 10 2008 |