Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Beware of scammers here on Englishbaby

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

Please be aware that scammers are alive and well here on Englishbaby. If you receive messages like these, please report them as spam and delete them. DON'T answer these messages, just report them as spam and delete them. Here are the examples:

1. My Dear, 

I am well pleased to contact you after viewing your contact today through i am interested in having communication with you as a genuine friend, please dear write me back to my e-mail address ( mirriam91yahoo.co.uk ) so that i can introduce myself to you and also give you my pictures. i am waiting to hear from you soon. 

Yours mirriam91yahoo.co.uk

2. I hope that every things is ok with you 

as is my pleassure to contact you after 

viewing your profile at (www.englishbaby.com) 

which really interest me in having communication 

with you. i will be very happy if you can write 

me through my email for easiest communication 

and to know all about each other,here is my 

email, () i will 

be waiting to hear from you as i wish you all 

the best for your day. 

yours new friend. 

christian

3. Hello my Dear, 

My name is Zanab ,i saw your profile at englishbaby.com/ and became I interested in 

you,i will also like to know you more,and i want you to send an email to my 

address ()so i can give you my picture .Remember the 

distance, colour or language does not matter but love matters alot in life.

4. Hello,Please mail me on this my address ( )

Greeting from joy

how are you to today: my name is miss joy. i saw your profile am very lntreseted to have a Reletionship with you please i will you to send me email to( ) so that able me to send you my picture and all about me.i will be happy to hear from you soon.

DO NOT ANSWER THESE MESSAGES! THEY ARE FAKE MESSAGES FROM CRIMINALS WHO ARE USUALLY IN AFRICA. REPORT THEM AS SPAM AND DELETE THEM.

(I know that some smart ass people will comment on this and say that everyone knows about these messages but, you know what, not everyone does. I wouldn't be posting this unless I had a real good reason. Englishbaby is a good site but they do not protect their members from these harassing messages. Since Englishbaby doesn't care about their members, I will continue to post in the forums about these scams.) 

12:41 AM Jun 30 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

Hi Germania, nice to see that you still come here now and then. The messages are 'bait'. They look for innocent and naive people who answer the messages, let's say lonely people also. Once they find them, they play with them and entice them in order to steal their money. There are different techniques they use, most involve sending money in order to get huge amounts of funds in banks that don't exist. 

tut2007, you're right. Not all of African people are shady. But the governments of the African countries involved, mainly Nigeria, don't punish the people who do this. The Nigerian 419 scam has been around for years and, according to many law enforcement groups, is the largest industry in Nigeria.  

Here is a link that will explain this whole thing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance-fee_fraud 

Germania, Ebaby doesn't care about its members at all. I've complained about the captcha thing which you get when you try to send a message to someone who isn't a friend. Ebaby thinks that this will prevent scammers from using Ebaby but it just gets in the way of communication between members. I get as many phony emails now, or more, than I did before. A simple email scan would be much easier, or an internal email filter. Ebaby isn't moderated at all. It is a sideline from another business and the owners really ignore the problems with the site.  

10:04 AM Jul 28 2010 |

Germania

Germania

Germany

Hello Mapleleaf Man,

yes sometimes I still visit Ebaby because I don't want to miss your blogs.They are always very helpful.

I remember when I joined Ebaby about 3 years ago  I did not get such kind of emails.

Ebaby has change themself a lot and I've got the feeling more and more scammer are joining Ebaby now and sometimes you don't realize iimmediatley if it's  a scammer or not. To meet new friends becomes more and more difficult.

12:49 PM Jul 30 2010 |

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

You're right, there wasn't as many when I started either. The scary part is that their scams seem to be working, otherwise they wouldn't be here trying to cheat people. Ebaby could do so much more but they don't. I'm a member of many other sites and I don't get nearly as much spam as I do on Ebaby. It's laziness, unless they are part of the scam themselves! Could be. I'm a conspiracy theorist! Hahahaha. 

06:20 PM Jul 30 2010 |

tut2007

Nigeria

mapleleaf the truth their are such things as scammers but why are you implacating Nigerians i am a Nigerian and i will tell you the truth people don't come to Nigeria to meet their friends and go missing so please get your facts right before you start making accusations and scammers exist all over the world….your just a typical example of the white westerner that views the black African as something you can just trample on so get your mind right….

12:33 PM Aug 07 2010 |

just---girl

Saudi Arabia

waw 

why is that ?

where is the privacy in English baby ?

who is the administrator ? or there is no one !  

thank u so much for this warning  

04:48 AM Aug 08 2010 |

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

tut, if you knew me you wouldn't say what you said. Check out what I said, check the facts. People do disappear in Nigeria when they go there, desperately searching for their lost money. It was the American State Department that warned of the deaths of 15 people who went to Nigeria, lured by the 419 scam. The people are allowed into Nigeria without having their passports stamped, making them illegal aliens in the country, then they are threatened with jail time because of that when they pursue the fictitious funds. Before you say that I'm not telling the correct facts, check it yourself, 

Of course, as I have said previously, not all of these scams originate in Nigeria. Many are in the surrounding countries, as well as in the United States. The difference here is that the US is actively fighting this kind of crime, while the Nigerian government isn't. If you have positive news on this, tut, please let us know about it here. Bribery and corruption is rampant in Nigeria, as it is in many third world countries. The scammers can co-exist quite peacefully with governments in different countries simply by paying off the officials. Otherwise, there would be not as many of these criminals around the world.

If you disagree with what I say, Tut, post the links here for all to see. Prove me wrong. I welcome your input. If I am wrong, I'll be the first to say it. Why on earth do you think it's called the Nigerian 419 scam? Is it because it started in Ghana?  

10:03 AM Aug 08 2010 |

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

Here is the quote, Tut. Prove me wrong, ok?

"

Murder
  • 29-year old George Makronalli, a Greek man, was murdered in South Africa in December 2004 after his family refused to pay a ransom.[32]
  • Kjetil Moe, a Norwegian businessman, was reported missing and ultimately killed after a trade with Nigerian scammers in Johannesburg, South Africa (September 1999).[61]
  • One American was murdered in Nigeria in June 1995 after being lured by a 419 scam.[62] From 1994 to April 1997, 419 scammers murdered 15 people in total.[31]"
Here is the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance-fee_fraud Did you see the World Cup? The only country suspected of throwing games was Nigeria. What would be the reason for that, I wonder. Was it the white guys against the black guys again? Colonialism? Was it racism? If you don't like what the world thinks of Nigeria, start to change things yourself. Run for president and change everything. Start getting political and see what you can do. Fight from within the country instead of whining about what white people say. A strong Africa can only help the world. Do something about it instead of screaming RACISM whenever things don't go your way.  

10:12 AM Aug 08 2010 |

labrooy61

labrooy61

Australia

I have just had an interesting exchange of messages with Joy (username joysy).  Seems to think this is a dating site (even called me stupid for being on here as a married man).  Anyway just be warned that this person is extremely nasty and is certainly not a young female looking for love.  He/she/it declined my invitation to share its details with the police, seems they have something to hide.

10:05 AM Aug 16 2010 |

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

Thanks labrooy61. I just got two messages in my inbox saying much the same thing, inferring that this was a singles site. Ultimately, they get around to scamming you somehow, this is just the way into it all. If I had more time, I would love to string one of these idiots along for a while. 

04:47 PM Aug 16 2010 |

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

Four spam messages in the last two days, one yesterday and three today. Ebaby doesn't care about this at all so you have to take care of yourself. Please keep reporting spam every time you get one of these messages. 

12:10 PM Aug 24 2010 |