Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

what do know about Saudi Arabia?

julee

julee

Saudi Arabia

Hi everyone

From the thread I saw yesterday  "surprise us" by gkisseberth.

I love to write a single thread about Saudi Arabia.

Coz I know a lot of people don't know what  this country is.

Here in this new post,

I wanna show you some single details about the civilization of it.

And some famous people around it .

please if u interest Ask me anything you want to know about this peaceful country

And I want the saudi members here in ebaby

To help me expose the bright side of Saudi Arabia.

thanks alot

Julee  

04:59 PM Feb 26 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

mehdi2

mehdi2

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

O my dear julee.whate nice picturs and whate nice country U have .I hope to visit your country very soon.bye

04:23 AM Feb 27 2008 |

julee

julee

Saudi Arabia

7amo0ody

hi dear..

good that u have been there

so say ur  impression about the saudi there..

u could help me

Laughing

08:13 AM Feb 27 2008 |

julee

julee

Saudi Arabia

hakimi:

How nice to be here in my thread.

I'm glad to answer u.

look as u said there are a lot of changes happened lately in Saudi Arabia

and people do a lot of things.and have the rights to do anything.

the women especially have a high positions now and have the freedom more than anything else.

yea they will drive soon.

they also can study abroad without "mahram"

they have a lot of chances to work even besides men as well.

they really being creative women,

work in every fields that u can't imagine

and challenge the difficulties so hard.

i really proud of my girls coz they never ashamed of their status anymore.

hey u can ask anything u want dear.

I'm just waiting for you 

08:42 AM Feb 27 2008 |

julee

julee

Saudi Arabia

owendavis33 :

hi dear

that's what i really want u all to know

saudi arabia is not just dessert and camal.

no it's more more than that.

it has the highest civilazition.

they have the oil.

and being so rich country.

09:04 AM Feb 27 2008 |

julee

julee

Saudi Arabia

mehdi2 :

i hope u visit it so soon

u'll never regret.

09:12 AM Feb 27 2008 |

julee

julee

Saudi Arabia

"No

(no  ONE lies like an eyewitness," says the Russian proverb.So that's why u have to come and see this SAUDI ARABIA, Home of Islam’s holiest sites, Flush with oil revenue, And increasingly the most influential player among Arab countries, Has long resisted changing the ultra traditional ways.the first appointment was in king saud university.a high-roofed, airy campus with an indoor fountain in the Islamic styleNo doubt my economist friend could have built three universities with the money spent on KSU.There are more educated Saudis which will usually mean a more open, liberal society. But Saudi universities are Islamic institutions with high technical standards, modern equipment, and able professors. the second appointment that day was with Prince Abdullah bin Faisal bin Turki al-Saud, very much a "working prince" in charge of the development of the two industrial cities of Jubail and Yanbu which I am due to visit the following week. Fortunately, his tolerance of journalists had not been seriously dented by the television talk-show host who introduced him once as someone whose country is the family business.".......)  

here are some word from the famous writer about SAUDI ARABIA

modernism. 

01:16 PM Feb 27 2008 |

Al'ona

Al'ona

Ukraine

no one lies like an eyewitness.

It's funny, but I've never heard such a Russian proverb, although Russian is my mother-tongueLaughing

A friend of mine has been to SA and she was amazed by luxury of your country. she said to me that it looked like a paradise in the desert.

It's really a miracle to create an ideal place to live out of the desert.

03:49 PM Feb 27 2008 |

MarocLady

MarocLady

Germany

Hello and salamwalaikum:)

this a very interesting thread, thank a lot:)

well, this is my question concerning Saudi-Arabia:

I often hear that in Saudi Arabia Wahabism is the religion. Well, what i want to know is, is this right? Does Wahabism really exist?Or is it only an invention of the west?

>I´m very sorry of my language, hope you understand everything and i´ll improve my english here:-)

06:44 PM Feb 27 2008 |

saudigirl

saudigirl

Saudi Arabia

WooW Julee..it's wonderful persentation..

Well..Could i participate and help you in showing the bright picture of Saudi Arabia..!!

MarcoLady..it's a good question..i also heard a lot of ppl called us by this name..in fact we appreciate the great role of Mohammad bin AbdulWahab in showing the right pic of Islam..but there's nothing called Wahabism..actually we followed Prophet Mohammad(peace be upon him) principles and his companions' method..

08:46 PM Feb 27 2008 |

Hanaa Talal

Saudi Arabia

Princess Lolwah Al-Faisal ( businesses woman )

Saudi princess, at Davos forum, says: 'I'd let women drive'

DAVOS, Switzerland (AP) - The most prominent princess in Saudi Arabia's royal family said Thursday that if she could change one thing about her country, she would let women drive - a rare and direct challenge to the driving ban imposed by the kingdom's ruling male elite.

The remarks from Princess Lolwah Al-Faisal, daughter of a former Saudi king and sister of the current foreign minister, came at the World Economic Forum - a gathering known for getting world leaders to engage in frank, often off-the-record dialogue without fear of criticism.

Al-Faisal, however, spoke at a public session on promoting religious tolerance. Other attendees included former Iranian President Mohammad Khatami, the prime minister of Malaysia, an Orthodox Jewish rabbi and peace activist from Israel and an American cleric.

The moderator, New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman, asked panelists at one point to "self-criticize" and say what they would change to promote greater interfaith understanding.

Turning to the princess, he quipped: "What would you do, princess, if you were 'queen' for a day? I won't tell anyone."

"First thing, I'd let women drive," Al-Faisal said dryly, as the audience erupted in applause and laughter. She added as the applause died down, "Or else have a great transportation system, which we don't have."

Women in Saudi Arabia now can work at many jobs that once were off-limits - a point the princess made. But critics say their inability to drive holds them back from many jobs by forcing them to rely on hired drivers, or on male relatives, to get to work or to school.

Some critics say the driving ban particularly impacts poorer Saudi families who cannot afford to hire drivers. Because of that, some consider the driving ban not just as a women's rights issue, but also as a factor holding back the country's economic development.

Al-Faisal's comments are particularly interesting because they show that while Saudi Arabia often presents a united front to the outside world, different opinions and even vigorous debate exist in private.

The 59-year-old princess is the most publicly visible female member of the royal family and one of the highest-profile Saudi women. She led a delegation of Saudi women business leaders to Hong Kong last year, has appeared at U.S. forums on interfaith dialogue and heads a prominent Saudi women's college.

But it is rare for her to speak in public or in front of the media. And she has never before publicly pushed for an end to the driving ban.

Her comments also are intriguing because her father, King Faisal, who ruled from 1964-1975, had a reputation as more progressive on social issues than his successors.

Al-Faisal is a sister of two prominent members of the current government, Foreign Minister Saud Al-Faisal and Prince Turki Al-Faisal, the outgoing Saudi ambassador to the United States.

The 25-year-old Saudi citizen Marwa Mahmoud won first place at the first international women's rally car race held in Dubai in February. Marwa, who is a resident of the UAE, has been a fan of this sport since 1997.

I think it's amazing that a young Arab woman from a country that has made it illegal for women to drive has gone ahead to become a champion. I love the UAE for giving her such an oppurtunity.

Marwa hopes that other Arab women will get involved in sports. A professional who is working in a male-dominated environment, she says that women's rights have not changed Arab men completely. "I wish they would participate in any sport they can," she says. "Anything that Arab men think women can't do, we should 'just do it.

Captain Hanadi Zakaria al-Hindi is the first Saudi woman to become a commercial airline pilot.

"" Saudi women are not allowed to drive… But ! they may fly !!! """

05:52 AM Feb 28 2008 |