Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

what do you think about american people?

diansantoso

Indonesia

Well, let's share about American people…

10:49 PM Aug 25 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

osesame

osesame

Egypt

Americans r cocktail of all ppl so they have no spcial trend that u can judge but the government i think is a gang and u can watch JFK movie and judge!!!!!!!!.......

01:45 PM Aug 26 2008 |

Sawdestination

Mexico

Most of them are nice and polite persons. They don´t like lies and they are proud of their country. Like a mexican, living near the border, I don´t like the behaviour of some americans who hates immigrants and "hunt" them or some acts of violence against them. 

I always laugh about its programs. They sells us a image that they want foreign countries think about the american way of life: nice cars, great bodies, sex everywhere with everyone, I mean americans are more conservatives in those aspects. But I respect them.

05:09 PM Aug 26 2008 |

mike_gwen

mike_gwen

Indonesia

In general they’re a straight forward and a very confident people.

11:25 PM Aug 26 2008 |

aljensen

aljensen

United States

Yes, Americans are actually quite conservative about issues like sex, well, I think we like to have a lot of rules, even if we don't follow them. 

Americans are all immigrants, or mostly immigrants. I think there's a certain sort of mindset of just wanting things all the time.

04:09 AM Aug 27 2008 |

Jane_wei

Jane_wei

China

I ever met some American. They just like everywhere people. Some are open and some are shy.
In my country, we can hear the news about America every day. Most of them are war in Iraq or Afghanistan. Sometime they interfere the other countries, for example
Israel and Palestine. I think every country has his history and culture. America has no power to command them how to do and what is right or wrong.

04:58 AM Aug 27 2008 |

catsarepretty

Canada

I'm American…and compared to people from other cultures we seem like we're more conservative than a lot of people from other Western countries.  Like stuff you'd see on TV in Europe and even after hours in Australia, you wouldn't see on TV in America.  But of course we have Hollywood…people in Hollywood are a lot more liberal than the average American, I'd say, so you see forms of entertainment promoting some lifestyles that a lot of Americans do not normally practice.

Also, a lot of Americans who have not visited other countries before can be ignorant about other cultures and about how other cultures perceive America.  I'll admit that before I went overseas I was this way too, and I can understand where they're coming from.

Like everyone else has said, I think most Americans (and hopefully including myself) are really nice people who want to be your friend, though there are always some jerks out there who think they are high and mighty for whatever reason.  But most Americans are very polite and are eager to be friends.  I've heard people from other cultures say that Americans "smile too much".

05:41 AM Aug 27 2008 |

dfzz1979

China

I think most of us should be friendly!

06:05 AM Aug 27 2008 |

dfzz1979

China

hi catsarepretty ,

nice to meet you! want to learn spoken english, but can't find any good way. can you give me some good suggestions, thanks!

jamie

06:08 AM Aug 27 2008 |

diansantoso

Indonesia

well, all opinions are quite the same but I once heard from someone who is American…he said that American people are people of paradox. 

09:04 AM Aug 27 2008 |

Jane Doe

Jane Doe

Indonesia

one thing about american: they are really proud of being american :) and I love that fact. lol. I learn a lot from the soldiers (my fiance and his friends)

10:54 AM Aug 31 2008 |