Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

New Hampshire Set to Approve Same-Sex Marriage

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

BOSTON — Gov. John Lynch of New Hampshire said Thursday that he would sign the state’s same-sex marriage bill if it was amended to further protect opponents of such unions from having to take part in ceremonies celebrating them.

Legislative leaders indicated they would allow the changes, making it all but certain that New Hampshire will become the sixth state to allow marriage between gay couples.

“New Hampshire’s great tradition has always been to come down on the side of individual liberties and protections,” Mr. Lynch, a Democrat, said in a statement. “But following that tradition means we must act to protect both the liberty of same-sex couples and religious liberty.”

In its current form, the bill exempts clergy members from having to perform same-sex weddings.

The amendment proposed by Mr. Lynch goes further, exempting any “religious organization, association, or society,” as well as individuals or nonprofit groups working with or for such an organization, from having to participate.

Vermont and Connecticut used similar language in their same-sex marriage bills.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/15/us/15marriage.html?hp

---------------

What are you thoughts on this event?

09:08 PM May 14 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

danielz

danielz

Lebanon

i don't think two boys can love each other a true love…it is only for sexxxxok for those who are gays plzzzzzzzzzzzdo it without chouting… this is your lives okbut destroy only yours not others livesyou are destorting the feelings, the logic and the structure of life…

11:07 AM May 26 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

"If people do bad things inside their houses, that will be between them and God, but doing that outside, it's not acceptible."

And that was my point. One is a private sin, the other is public.

Gay marriage is something that shouldn't be allowed and I wasn't pleading in favour of it. That is something public.

But people that engage in homosexual relations are doing so privately and will have to deal with that by themselves.

"you, as zionist, you disagree at alot of things, but when it conserne killing and merduring the palestinians, you're all agree, because your nature is like this, you love hurting the palestinians, that is one of your personality character, and that won't change."

I'm in favour of Israel's right of self-defense when attacked, and I don't like it when it is singled out for criticism when any other country would do the same thing.

It has nothing to do with them being the Palestinians. If the Vikings appeared out of nowhere and started attacking Israeli cities, I'd be in favour of Israel striking them back.

"This is what I mean, this way made the jews lost, and invented a lot of things, they don't have the same way, and have many opinions about the basis of judaism."

What did they invent?

The basics of Judaism are set down in the Talmud and Torah and noone disputes them.

Yes, and any religion including Islam has many opinions regarding details. The Sunnis and the Shia are a good example of that.

03:28 PM May 26 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

"Who told you that I don't know ?"

I'm not saying you know nothing about other religions, but you've never lived among people that have several different faiths. Your country is around 95 percent Muslim, so naturally you've mostly been exposed to only one religion and think its the best in the world.

"It's not the same, and what the zionists think, they consider the Islam as the first enemy of them."

If Zionists thought that, Islam wouldn't have 100 percent freedom of practice in Israel. Islamic holy sites are administered and controlled by Muslim authorities etc etc..

The Israeli government doesn't control the Al Aqsa mosque, the mufti does.

Its the Arabs that wish to pick enemies than say they're being 'oppressed' because they're Muslims.

"the all you know, that Muslims kill who disagree with, and they were driking wine, and Al-Quds was not mentioned."

I'm going by what Muslims and your clerics are saying. I don't think your religion is a tolerant faith.

Jerusalem is not mentioned anywhere in the Koran. There's reference to a far away mosque, which you now say is the Al Aqsa mosque.  Then, of course, this mosque wasn't built till 100 years later after the Koran was written and the Muslims conquered Jerusalem from the Byzantines.

04:37 PM May 26 2009 |

psbfan

Slovakia

I have nothing against same-sex weddings. I´m a very tolerant person and I think that every human being has the right to love and to marry the love of his/her life.  

05:41 PM May 26 2009 |

psbfan

Slovakia

please show some tolerance Danielz!! Gay people do not destroy feelings and I think that it is their love that is true love. A woman marries a man because she wants a family and all that, but gay people want just one another.

05:44 PM May 26 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

"you support Israel even it makes crimes and massacres, because it's one of your character, mean terrorism then denying."

According to you, that's all it ever does, so it makes it difficult for me to defend its right to defense in front of you, with you calling it murder.

"Israel doesn't need reasons, because it kill without justification, the only thing it wants, is to make the palestinians leave their lands and houses."

Well, you just blind yourself to the situations. When Israel attacks, there's generally a clear reason why, as in Gaza. People like you just don't accept ANY reason by Israel.

"Part of the Jews consider the Talmud as a man made, and it's not from God."

Who? 

The Talmud is a collection of commentaries that are manmade, though these are on something called the Mishnah (Oral Torah), which was given along with the Written Torah at Mount Sinai.

All Jews except for the Karaites (who number around about 1000 and live mostly in Georgia) accept the Talmud as authoritative as it lays down all the details of Jewish practice.

"difference between Shia and Sunnis is very little, and in details, and that doesn't devide the Muslims, they're one nation, and they have the same rules."

Then equally the differences in practice are slightly different, the belief is exactly the same in Judaism.

"the Zionists are planning to destroy Al-Aqsa, and Israel is dugging inder it, and is planing to destroy it under Table, and it can say that, because Muslims are watching."

The excavation went on around it, not under it. This is another symptom or Arab paranoia and an attempt to rise the rabble against Israel.

Israel is not planning to destroy Al Aqsa and in the past has stopped several Jewish extremists from trying to do so.

This is all rubbish that you believe.

"I've brought to you all the justifications and proves Of Al-Quds in Quran, but you keep closing your ear as childer, and repeting what your religions men say."

Here's my answer:

There's reference to a far away mosque, which you now say is the Al Aqsa mosque.  Then, of course, this mosque wasn't built till 100 years later after the Koran was written and the Muslims conquered Jerusalem from the Byzantines.

"Denying is one of your character, and that won't change"

People like you must think that Jews are completely stupid.

That the people who brought most of the prophets to the world, would not know who is one and who is isn't.

Muhammed was not a prophet and Jews rejected him.

If the  Muslims prefer to follow him, good for them, but Jews don't just blindly follow people that live in a cave, write a book and then claim that they've been given a prophesy.

03:58 PM May 28 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

"If there were mistakes, maybe one for two time, but everytime,we see that Israel do the same thing, it's way we believe that this its way, to force the left of palestinians to leave their lands."

Wars are not mistakes. When the Arabs attack, Israelis don't lie down and die, they fight back.

"If resistance kill one soldier, Israel kill 100 civilians, only to punish the palestinians."

When Israel attacks anywhere, Hamas always says it only killed civilians. I'm sure if they hit Hamas HQ in central Gaza, they would claim that it was a kindergarten.

"the way how Israel respond is very terrorist, how it destroy the building and kill the maximum of civilians."

If Israel wanted to kill a maximum of civilians, it could do a lot better than a few hundred.

You're fooling yourself if you think that the most powerful military in the Middle East is concerned with targeting civilians.

10:25 PM May 28 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

Noone denies Israel hit civilians in Gaza, accidentally.

Gaza is a densely populated place. Hamas fired rockets from near civilian areas.

I keep repeating myself. I don't believe, nor does any credible observer believe that Israel targets civilians on purpose because it doesn't make sense.

"Israel plan to force the palestinians to leave their lands, and makes their life impossible to make them leave."

Gaza is blocked off. The inhabitants aren't going anywhere.

Israel left Gaza a while ago and probably isn't coming back.

"We fought, and we will go fighting intill the end, and the win is near, near than you think, and time of failling is back, and now we're toward the win, from 2000 leberation of south Lebanon, 2005 Gaza, and 2006 win against Israel in Lebanon, and the next will be more important, will more lands back."

There are too sides to playing martyr. Hurting people in the process causes a response.

Israel left land in the hope that it would bring peace. It was so wrong.

10:40 PM May 28 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

"and destruction of schools and hospitals and Mosques and civilians buildings are proves of the crimes of war."

Using human shields is a war crime.

Hamas put rockets and ammunition in civilian houses, mosques and schools. Blame them. 

Given the way Hamas uses Islam for its own political goals, calling those terror houses 'mosques' gives it too much credibility.

"UN report acaused Israel of crimes of wars."

No it didn't or else these charges would have manifested into something like an investigation.

There is nothing at the moment of me speaking.

"there were always 1 israeli dead, beside 100 arab massacred."

According to the IDF toll 70 percent of those killed were militants of Hamas not civilians. Hamas of course will not admit its own death count and say that they were all civilians.

You may believe their bullshit, I don't.

Terrorist can't be massacred, they're 'neutralized'. :)

"Israel can't go back into Gaza, because it can, it will loose alot f that."

Israel could go back and reoccupy Gaza any time that it wanted. It doesn't want to.

"Israel left because it can't stand more, and its troops got tired from resistance attacks, and they run aways from Lebanon and Gaza"

Are you joking? The people of Gush Katif lived perfectly fine there before the Israeli government under Sharon forced them out, wrongly.

The 'resistance' was nothing more than a bunch of occasional random attacks in which most cases no one was killed.

Hamas credits itself with much much much more than its due.

11:27 PM May 28 2009 |

elenochka

elenochka

Belarus

oh gosh…... topic about same-sex marriages ends by the dialogue between fabs and arabhamid about gaza, palestine,hamas and so on…  Guys there r special topics dedicated to palestine problem. don't mix everything

Sorry to interrupt u!

07:17 PM May 31 2009 |