Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Sudan women 'lashed for trousers'

sunay

sunay

Turkey

Several Sudanese women have been flogged as a punishment for dressing "indecently", according to a local journalist who was arrested with them.

Lubna Ahmed al-Hussein, who says she is facing 40 lashes, said she and 12 other women wearing trousers were arrested in a restaurant in the capital, Khartoum.

She told the BBC several of the women had pleaded guilty to the charges and had 10 lashes immediately.

Khartoum, unlike South Sudan, is governed by Sharia law.

<!- E SF ->

Several of those punished were from the mainly Christian and animist south, Ms Hussein said.

Non-Muslims are not supposed to be subject to Islamic law, even in Khartoum and other parts of the mainly Muslim north.

BBC-NEWS  Monday, 13 July 2009

Sudan'da kad&imath;n olmak zor

BBC-NEWS  Monday, 13 July 2009

<!- E BO ->

10:56 AM Jul 15 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

There’s also those lashes in Aceh (Indonesia), hanging punishment (in Iran). So what’s the differences between them?

Everyone of this is in China too… Does China have Sharia, too or what? There is death penalty in many countries and I think you are enough brainy to know that. I didnt know that Indonesia has lashes but good to know..

06:37 PM Jul 15 2009 |

mike_gwen

mike_gwen

Indonesia

What I wanna know is what do you think about those lashes and stuff? Are you ok if your daughter get lashed just becuz of getting out late at night with her boyfriend for a dinner? And why boys dont get the same treatment too if going out at night is forbidden?
Oh how about that cut off the hands? Is that also still adopted in sharia?

07:03 PM Jul 15 2009 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

What I wanna know is what do you think about those lashes and stuff? Are you ok if your daughter get lashed just becuz of getting out late at night with her boyfriend for a dinner? And why boys dont get the same treatment too if going out at night is forbidden?

Did I say "I think it is cool"? I see it as stupidity of the policy and humans as I said before and what do you think that means?

And I wouldn't let my daughter, if I will have one, go out in the night neither alone nor with her boyfriend, because I hope I will give a good Islamic education to my daughter. In Islam men and women don't get the same treatment because as you can see we are DIFFERENT. Men have their work, Women have theirs. AND A MAN AND A WOMAN COMPLETE EACH OTHER. So 50% to 50%. That is the correct equality, but nowadays we see men(100%) and women (100%) equality which just causes problem like decline in the birthrate and many European countries like Germany and Italy have problems with that.

Cutting off the hands is applied to thiefs. If someone steals something, when he musnt do it, his hand must be cut so he doesn't steal more things.  I don't see it as a good solution but it is a solution.

07:21 PM Jul 15 2009 |

Novita

Novita

Germany

Have you ever heard of anybody been lashed in the name of atheism?

08:35 PM Jul 15 2009 |

pop272001

pop272001

Indonesia

Prophet Mohammad would cry if he saw what happened in Sudan..that's not what He want. By the way, Did they

know Sudan Law (forbidden wearing Trousers and its punishment ). If they knew, they should obey!!

Anyway, Thanks God I live in Indonesia, I always wear trousers to my office. No Lashes , No punishment from my boss and Ulama.

01:25 AM Jul 16 2009 |

adamsoney

adamsoney

Kuwait

hello iam sudanese but that happen because the country has its own policy then,wearing such thing like that it was not one of our culture,also that lead the youth to fall in sin and fornication as the ladies will lokk very sexy while she is wearing trouser…. really you do not know what will happen if they did not take an action like that…...

05:20 AM Jul 16 2009 |

pop272001

pop272001

Indonesia

Adam…will they look sexy even they wear baggy trousers, not  leggings ?

06:51 AM Jul 16 2009 |

sunay

sunay

Turkey

Hello Adamsoney,
Sorry but I didn't catch your last sentence. What do you mean will happen if the women wear trousers? I can't really understand why the women are seen by men just an sex objekt and nothing else. Also your writing affirms this statement. why dont you see them just like human?

07:07 AM Jul 16 2009 |

mike_gwen

mike_gwen

Indonesia

@Hakimi : You’re deadly wrong hakimi. Baggy trousers will look sexy only for sex maniacs. :D
@ Memo : I’m so sorry. I forgot that u knew nothing about dating. Cuz your belief doesnt approve anything like that. Its my bad.
Cutting off the hands isnt a solution I think. U’d better give him a lesson by putting him in jail instead of lashing or that cutting of hands. It’s so unhuman. Without the hands you’re a half dead, and gradually go to death. What good such a cutting off hands would bring? A punishment means to making a person to take a lesson from what wrong he did in the past. In the same time it’s a warning so that he wont throw himself in the same hole again and a way to educate people as well. What kind of education a kid can grab from lashing and cutting off hands? Maybe he’d learn smthing like that there’s no way back if you’re a criminal. Or violence or any crime should be treated with violence too. Wow, a great way to nurture your kids.

09:15 AM Jul 16 2009 |

sunay

sunay

Turkey

Hey Hakimi,

How smart and funny you areLaughing

I am so glad to know you come from Yemen and see the women as a creature of GOD with all their rights as a men. Thanks for your comments…

Regards 

09:16 AM Jul 16 2009 |