Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Question Of A Girl: What if...?

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

Here's some question that has been bugging me (and maybe several other members too) for quite a long time now: If there's someone writing annoying comments in our public chats there usually is an admin who can tell this user off, but alas it happens more often that users start getting insulting (or other things) only when they chat with someone privately. I know you can just ignore this member, but I guess then he/she will just go on flaming on other users. Now my question is: What to do if you want this person to get reprimanded for bad behaviour? Is there anything you can do?

P.S. Sorry if I may have put this question in the wrong category of forums: This is the first time I posted something like this here, so I don't have that much experience yet.

07:18 AM Aug 16 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

On the other hand I don't really think it to be that important that everybody behaves online exactly the same way he or she would behave in real life as long as everyone stays polite and friendly-as one should do in real life, too.

05:05 AM Aug 24 2010 |

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

@Give me a Smile!: Wow! Your answer came quick! In Germany it's about quarter past 7AM now and I've posted this just a few minutes ago. Smile

Anyway I'm glad you respect other's personal life, since there also are users who want you to tell them everything about you. They want your msn, your address, they want you to send them a new photo of yours every month or so, they want to know about your family and when you tell them that you don't want to post so many personal information on the Internet,  they act offended.

P.S. Waking up so early when I'm on vacation isn't unusual for me. I usually wake up between 5 and 8AM.

05:25 AM Aug 24 2010 |

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

LaughingHi,

Of course I respect that some people don't mind if others ask for personal information. I don't mind either and I usually tell them whenever I think that one asks me for too much information. However there also have been cases in which some user just didn't accept that I refused to answer him or her and they just kept going asking me for the same information I simply didn't want to give them, even if I told them that I had good reasons for not wanting to post some information on the Internet.

05:35 PM Aug 24 2010 |

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

I know actually you can't do anything against cases like this, but I just wanted to get this off my chest: There is this user who asked me to do her a little favor and I told her that I'm quite busy at the moment and thus that I may need some time to reply her message. When I finally got the chance to answer her, she acted very offended, saying things like "One cannot count on you!" or that I didn't really want to help people, just because I needed some time to answer her. No offence against this person in particular, but I think that if you have a keypal you should understand that he or she has some "offline" life too and that this life may be more important than all the stuff that happens online. I think that if you put so much pressure on your keypals, you shouldn't be surprised that more and more people become hooked on the Internet: After getting offended like that just for not answering e-mails for some weeks some may think it to be kind of a duty to reply e-mails (nearly) every day.

In my opinion this is nonsense: Friendships via the e-mail as "normal" friendships just don't work with compulsion. I'd say that Internet-acquaintances even should work with less pressure than usual friendships, because-allthough my penpals sure are important for me too-I want to live more in reality than in virtuality and penpals can replace real friendships only partly.

02:10 PM Oct 17 2010 |

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

That's why I like this forum: You can also talk about your own experiences concerning this subject-if you want to!

04:24 PM Oct 26 2010 |

Whitney S

Whitney S

Colombia

I've got a solution for you, Dorothy.

Minimize the window of that person, so that you dont look at what he/she writes to you. As you wont reply back, soon or late he/she will give up and stop writting to you :) 

06:27 AM Oct 27 2010 |

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

I already knew that, but I just want to behave politely towards everyone, no matter whether or not he or she behaves good towards me. I consider just refusing to write back rather impolite, so I personally never do that. Nevertheless l I thank you for your piece of advice, since others may still find it useful!

03:32 PM Oct 27 2010 |

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

http://www.englishbaby.com/blog/Announcement/view_entry/58457

Please read this blog. If you have a problem with someone in here, you may find it useful or at least comforting.

I'm sorry if some of you would have wanted me to copy the blog to post it in here instead of having to press the link to be able to read it, but I just considered this to be nothing but a waste of time and space.

I know that I've already posted this link in some other forum, but firstly I did this because it fits into both of them and secondly I considered it to be rather unlikely that really all of you would stumble upon this comment of mine in the other forum too.

05:43 PM Feb 27 2011 |

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

I am going to enlarge this forum.Smile 

Now my second question is: Is there any time in particular when the admin is in one of these chatrooms? For example is there a special weekday when he observes one of the chatrooms? Or is he there during a special time of day?

I'd be glad if you could help me! Thank you!

07:07 PM Mar 15 2011 |