Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

How to raise weight

iriszhang2011

China

I am always so slim, and everyone always say I should be fatter, I do really hope can be fatter. But it is really difficult for me. Any suggestion? Thanks!

01:28 PM Jan 19 2011 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

monica_sc

China

Wobbly joe,thank you for your patient answers。 when i write the sentence”did you increase your weight”, i feel like strange ,but i can’t find out the wrong .   the grammar and oral english  is my best weak. i hope improve them level 。 thanks!

09:32 AM May 31 2012 |

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

I think  ”Did you increase your weight?” isn’t actually wrong, it’s just very formal. Unusual phrasing is common among professions. It’s not actually wrong, it just sounds strange. I have the same trouble with many words. I’ve never met an english speaker who doesn’t have at least some words in their vocabulary they have to try out to see if they sound right. I’ve been watching a lot of Chinese movies on Netflix. you have my admiration for how well you speak english. Even with subtitles I can’t even pick out the individual words in Chinese. In one, Jackie Chan is singing about his home in Liang, but there weren’t any words coming out of his mouth that sounded to me like Liang! Very hard.

04:13 PM May 31 2012 |

monica_sc

China

my english usually have some grammar mistakes,just english is your native language,so you feel strange.

i see your feel on watching chinese movie,the same as i watching english movies and listening english songs.i just study slow-paced songs,such as “sailing”. the actor Will Smith is my best like ones.Jackie Chan’s movie is very humored.”In one, Jackie Chan is singing about his home in Liang” is named guojia??

the destination of study language is use it to know foreign culture,or just work needs. i have an idea,make friends to study each other language.agree or not?

06:25 AM Jun 01 2012 |

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

That sounds like fun to me. The Jackie Chan movie, like all Chinese movies I watch, was subtitled so I don’t know if Guojia is it or not. They show the title in English form and in Chinese character but I don’t know the meaning of the characters.  It translated into Big Little Soldier.  It’s the one where Jackie is a Liang soldier and after a battle with few survivors, he tries to take an enemy general back to Liang to get a reward of five acres of good land. Have you seen it? Not a happy ending but the man makes a truly great movie. Also I really liked the Ip Man movies and the ones about your time of Three Kingdoms.  Also now I want five good acres.

Do you mean Sailing, the old Christopher Cross song? I had forgotten that one. It was big when I was in high school here. Have you heard the old DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince songs? That was Will Smith as a teen. Funny songs. Very funny. He’s a talented fellow. Does acting, comedy and singing. If he did martial arts too he’d be like Jackie Chan!

01:31 PM Jun 01 2012 |

monica_sc

China

i guess the movie that you say is “da bing xiao jiang /大兵小将”。  i have not see this movie。as you say,i think you best like the historical movie,such as “Hero”...

i haven’t heard the old DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince songs.i never know that Will Smith sing songs,just know he is a excellent actor. i have seen his movies that named “The pursuit of happyness”,”i am legend”。。。

what name is Will Smith sing the  funny songs。i search many songs  about he old DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince. all style is hip-hop.i don’t hear what they sing. they sing speed so quickly.

could you give me some advice that improve the english hearing and oral? thanks!

01:42 AM Jun 02 2012 |

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

I do really like the historical pictures. I like Red Cliff too. I was taught almost nothing of China’s history, nor the history of the ancient eastern nations, In our schools they taught us the ancient mediterranian history.

It only looks like hip hop. Will Smith is the Fresh Prince. He and a man called DJ Jazzy Jeff (DJ is what he does, Jazzy Jeff is his nickname, his mom probably calls him Jeffrey) recorded together in the 1980s. The songs are very funny and contain nothing objectionable. I like “I think I can beat Mike Tyson”. At the time Mike Tyson was world heavyweight boxing champion and there was no one who could stand up against him in the ring. Will Smith at the time is about 17 and skinny as a teen can be. They do talk fast, perhaps online you can find the videos with subtitles, but they are funny. Don’t forget you can watch his show the Fresh Prince of Bel Aire onlne too. Will Smith, 20 years ago.

I have a suggestion but it’s only that. I am learning Morse Code by a method that I found online that has really helped me. Adapted here, try recording a few sentences from a movie or someplace and have your computer play them randomly. Over time you’ll hear the differences in the sentences and eventually the breaks in the words. It’s the sounds you are trying to learn. When we pause for breath, what words are broken cleanly and which are commonly slurred together. (As earlier stated, we frequently have to remind our children not to slur their words, it’s very easy and adults do it all the time too, but it makes it very hard to understand). I think getting the sounds, patterns, and breaks down might help lay a solid foundation for the actual language itself. JUst a suggestion though, loosely applied from a method I learned elsewhere.

04:09 PM Jun 02 2012 |

monica_sc

China

thanks for your suggestion.i’ll do it.

maybe that is suitable way to me.

06:24 AM Jun 04 2012 |

Monique Fernandes

Brazil

I also need to gain weight :( I even lose weight while sleeping u.u 

01:14 AM Jun 05 2012 |

monica_sc

China

a.  how did you know lose weight while sleeping?

02:47 AM Jun 05 2012 |

Monique Fernandes

Brazil

I didn’t mean that I really lose weight while I sleep, but I lose weight so easily that I need to be careful otherwise I’m going to disappear soon! I try to eat more but I just keep losing weight :/

03:10 AM Jun 05 2012 |