Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Are we religious....

devindernagpal

India

Friends,Do we live our life according to our religions….?

I don't feel so …what do you feel….?

03:37 AM Dec 07 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

lilimira

lilimira

Algeria

when i said most scientists i meant it. i have read a research counting  theist,atheist and agnostic sicentist in all the world and in different centuries.theists were more than atheists.agnostics can't be classified with  one of the others.but this  means nothing because scientists are humans and their real job is about how things work not why things work the way they do.some of them are not able to see beyond the scientific details and perceive the larger philosophical picture of life.most people do not  see beyond the framework  provided by their precious beliefs.someone said:"if the only tool you've got is a hammer,you tend to treat everything as if it's a nail."science is just a tool.if you don't pray for yourself when you are alive noone will do it for you. humans remember themselves.

11:55 AM Jun 02 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

lilimira, I agree that it's not important if scientists believe in a god or not, but you presented it as if it IS important. That somehow it means that science and religion are compatible. I would like to see the research you cited though. 

I think it's even more telling that there is a much higher incidence of atheism and agnosticism among scientists than among the general public.  (over 60% of American scientists compared to 8% of the general public) 

I really do think this means something. Scientists understand that magic and miracles are not needed to explain the natural world. I think it is just a continuation of the correlation between education in general and atheism/agnosticism.  

03:11 PM Jun 02 2008 |

devindernagpal

India

Gkissberth,

Spirtuality is the only real science,inwhich you have not believe or understand any other but experience whatever it is by yourself & only your evidence gives the real answer. We are the soul,it's not to be believed,it is to be experienced,by yourself alone.

I want to suggest one exercise,to experience,just try to imagine your death,just sit comfortably & close your eyes & feel you are dieing,just try to imagine your death,do iat as long as you like,just don't commment,just be silent & go on trying for 15 minutes,half an hour,or hour…

I hope you would be able to imagine the death of your body but it is impossible to feel or imagine the death of your self,what's that who goes on observing within you.. & this observation never ends,you take care of it or not,you are aware of it or not & even all thoughts comes to us after observing some thing… just be aware towards that observer, it is always there…. it's that current which we call life, & there are so many names of it… but one need not know  names.. they are empty but your self is real .know the real & that shall be the best answer,this is what I want to say.

One can experience it in another way too ,that is just be aware ,while doing all of our daily acivities just awake towards the mechanism of working of our life.Some thing goes on observing,observing & observing without any fail,but we are so mechanical that we loose the point.Just a little care of it may bring wonders to our life.observe the observer… & you will surprise it is always there.. I feel it which we call God is observing all… it is that observer & god is sitting inside all of us in that form,upon whom our total life depends.

07:38 PM Jun 02 2008 |

lilimira

lilimira

Algeria

what i tried to prove is that science and faith coexist in theist scientists  and that human discoveries are confirming more and more the truths in the sacred writings. you should search by yourself and do serious and open studies.

..... a continuation of the errelation between….........a dull reflection .it's as looking at the whole universe through a small hole.

dev's thoughts  completes mine.

11:14 AM Jun 03 2008 |

devindernagpal

India

Gkissbeth,

I miss your opinions.

06:40 PM Jun 04 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

a little funny yes, Ryo.

My index finger has cramps from scrolling.

Dev. I guess if you think that spirituality is the only science then we have very different definitions of science.

(post edited) 

10:06 PM Jun 04 2008 |

devindernagpal

India

Gkissberth,

spirituality has nothing to do with our religion,it's our exitential self,from which we can't detach,we may have existential desire to know our self ,the real self,the existential self or not.It is not cumpolsary to know oneself.but it's scintificness is true because one experimnts with oneslf alone.it does not survive on our religion of words,which does not exist  in extentetial way.they are man made.& everyone has his own dictionary.suppose we want to say'love'are there any definite words who convey meaning,to have dialouge means we try our best to express our self fully.

But it happens,the expresser couldn't express what he wants to express in reality,& meaning remains somewhere in between,& listener understand in his own way.

As it has been tried in scintific way to explain existence by genrating one international dictionary,we donot have same in case of other aspects of life.

Sanskrit language is rich for it's life concerned terms but it has never been the language of people ,only technitions use it.

01:47 AM Jun 05 2008 |

devindernagpal

India

Halka,

religion is not to be loved,it is to be lived,they are the rules to get attached with others,rules exist but our indivdulity is lost in it.religion never worries about our joyfulness,it has his own way & everyone is free to love & like  & live life in his own way.you are welcome.You have existential freedom to choose whatever you like.

02:00 AM Jun 05 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Sorry Dev, I meant to type "if you think spirituality is the only SCIENCE"

I will edit that post

02:04 AM Jun 05 2008 |