Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

and stuff

CharmYou

CharmYou

Ireland

What does ‘and stuff’ mean?

I’ve seen this phrase frequently used.

In Calligraphy 

Jeff:  Calligraphy.

Lily:  Oh yeah! It was pretty and stuff.

InHarry Potter

Miguel:  Well, I was pretty unfamiliar with the whole Harry Potter thing and the the story is actually pretty neat. I mean the, the, the little kid is a wizard and, um, he goes to a school of wizards and that’s kind of a neat concept, um, but the special effects and stuff were no where near as cool as other big movies these days like The Matrix and stuff.

What does ‘and stuff’ mean?

02:54 AM Jan 15 2014 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

The term “and stuff” is slang for “etc.; and other things.” The speaker generally is talking about more than what he/she has already said but does not want to include any more specific examples. Sometimes, American English speakers simply use “and stuff” as a filler, words that take up space but have no specific meaning.

Best,

Amy

09:53 PM Jan 15 2014 |

CharmYou

CharmYou

Ireland

Thanks.

What about the phrase “Your stuff”?

In the lesson Dinner Etiquette .

Rafael:  Well, you’ve got to know your stuff about cutlery. You’ve got to be polite. 

I know that stuff means things, but it doesn’t make sense when he says “You’ve got to know your things about cutlery.”

07:46 AM Jan 16 2014 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

in this case, “your stuff” means “facts and information.” 

Best,

Amy

03:37 PM Jan 18 2014 |