Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!


FAQs About Studying English in the USA

We have put together the most frequently asked questions (FAQs) we get from English, baby! members about studying English in the USA. If you do not find what you are looking for in this FAQ, you can always go to Ask Ebaby!. Start your 7-day Super Free Trial now and ask as many questions as you like!

Why study English in the USA?

Studying in the USA is a great way for you to improve your English, make friends and get a fantastic education! Studying English in the USA is a perfect way to improve your language skills as you are immersed in the culture and are surrounded by native English speakers. Best of all, the USA is home to many famous universities and English programs!

Whether you want to experience the bright lights of a big city, the laid back atmosphere of a beach town or be surrounded by breathtaking mountains, there is a place in the USA for you.

Do you already know where in the USA you would like to study? Visit our interactive school search page and start making your dream of studying in the USA a reality!

Do I really need to learn English?

More than a billion people speak English, and over one billion more are learning it right now. 80% of information stored on the world's computers is in English. It is the language we use to do business, to meet people, to be entertained and have fun!

How long will it take me to learn English in the USA?

This is a very common question! The answer is, it depends. It depends on how much time you spend in the USA, how motivated you are, how much you challenge yourself, and even what your first language was.

What is an Intensive English Language Program?

An intensive English language program is a set of courses offered to students who wish to learn English quickly. Programs vary in length but can sometimes be completed in just a few weeks. Programs are available from schools, colleges and universities all over the USA. See our Find English Schools section for more information about specific programs.

How can I prepare for studying in the USA?

Attending an English school is a fantastic way to master English. However, living in another country can be a culture shock at first, especially if you do not know any colloquial or slang English. One way to overcome this is to be as familiar with every day English as possible before you go. English, baby! can help. Become a Super member today and become more confident speaking, listening, writing and hopefully even thinking in English!

What are the requirements to study English in the USA?

Different schools have different requirements, but some common requirements include student visas, secondary school completion, health insurance, and up-to-date vaccinations. To find out specific requirements, visit our school search section. All schools have a minimum age requirement, but most do not set a maximum age limit. It is never too late to learn English!

Do I need a visa to study in the USA? If so, what kind of visa do I need?

Generally, you will need a student visa (F1) but it can depend on what your citizenship is. For specific information about visa requirements, check with the school where you wish to study.

How do I get a student visa?

For specific visa requirements, check with the school where you wish to study. In general, to get a student visa (F1) from the U.S. Consulate in your country, you will need an I-20 document, proof of financial certification, a valid passport, and evidence of ties to your home country. Examples of these ties include having family, a bank account, a job, a house, or other important possessions back home. You must also schedule an interview with a visa officer.

I want to do an undergraduate or graduate degree in the USA. Should I do an English language course first?

If your level of English is not already very high, enrolling in an English course before you start applying is strongly recommended. By enrolling in an English course, it can help you get "conditional admission" to universities and colleges in the USA. Conditional admission means that you can generally be guaranteed entrance to a university or college in the USA once you have met the English language requirement that they have set (as well as any other requirements, such as a GPA). It can also help you with your student (F1) visa application.

How much will it cost to study English in the USA?

The cost for an English language course varies. Factors to consider include course length, intensity (how many hours per week) and location. For specific visa requirements, check with the school where you wish to study.

Will I have trouble 'fitting in'?

This is a question many people have before going to a new country. A new country means new people and, just as importantly, a new culture. If you are not already an English, baby! Super member, start your free trial today to become more confident using English. With a Super membership you can chat with our American Ebaby! tutors who are all native English speakers and can help answer questions you may have about life in the USA. You can also take lessons involving American pop culture and slang, so you will be able to feel at home in your new home in the USA in no time!

Will doing an English language course help prepare me for TOEFL?

Absolutely. English language programs are a great way to prepare you for TOEFL and by living in the USA, your speaking and listening skills will improve dramatically! Many schools also offer TOEFL-specific courses. Did you know that English, baby! offers tips, study techniques, and even the official TOEFL® practice test? See our TOEFL section for more information!

When should I apply to schools?

As soon as you can! Schools have different deadlines when it comes to accepting applications. Make sure to research the schools you are interested in and find out when their deadlines are.

Visit our interactive school search page and start making your dream of studying in the USA a reality today!

Back to top