Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Sudan women 'lashed for trousers'

sunay

sunay

Turkey

Several Sudanese women have been flogged as a punishment for dressing "indecently", according to a local journalist who was arrested with them.

Lubna Ahmed al-Hussein, who says she is facing 40 lashes, said she and 12 other women wearing trousers were arrested in a restaurant in the capital, Khartoum.

She told the BBC several of the women had pleaded guilty to the charges and had 10 lashes immediately.

Khartoum, unlike South Sudan, is governed by Sharia law.

<!- E SF ->

Several of those punished were from the mainly Christian and animist south, Ms Hussein said.

Non-Muslims are not supposed to be subject to Islamic law, even in Khartoum and other parts of the mainly Muslim north.

BBC-NEWS  Monday, 13 July 2009

Sudan'da kad&imath;n olmak zor

BBC-NEWS  Monday, 13 July 2009

<!- E BO ->

10:56 AM Jul 15 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Novita

Novita

Germany

And instead of virgins?

06:00 PM Jul 15 2009 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

uhmm.. interesting question… I don't have any answer.. (everything would be better :D  justAjoke..)

06:03 PM Jul 15 2009 |

mike_gwen

mike_gwen

Indonesia

Mike + a fact of getting numerous virgins in heaven after some horrific and unhuman/barbaric acts = stupidity.
Yeah maybe those women would like to be called stupid rather than ending up in the graveyard or getting many lashes.

06:05 PM Jul 15 2009 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

+ a fact of getting numerous virgins in heaven after some horrific and unhuman/barbaric acts = stupidity.

hmm… yes the ones who are barbaros they are stupid… I didn't say anything different but I just added the ancient greeks to us..

06:09 PM Jul 15 2009 |

mike_gwen

mike_gwen

Indonesia

So that lashes and hanging, what do you call them?

06:13 PM Jul 15 2009 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

it is just the human stupidity what I mentinoned before and I call the fact calling these things as a matter of Islam also "the human stupidity"

06:15 PM Jul 15 2009 |

mike_gwen

mike_gwen

Indonesia

I mean the lashes and hanging which adopted in syariah country. Or maybe I was wrong from the first place?

06:19 PM Jul 15 2009 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

I mean the lashes and hanging which adopted in syariah country. Or maybe I was wrong from the first place?

it is just a result of the shariah from the middle ages which needs reforms and I am seing a positive way in that.  But seing it as Islam's Shariah is just stupidity of people. Shariah means the Law of God and I don't think such things would happen if "Sudan's Shariah" was the law of God.

You were wrong by blaming Islam for that without knowing that such thing is absolutely forbidden in Islam.

But I know you won't change your mind. I have known you for 2 years and you are the same Mike…

maybe I ll go to Indonesia after studying geophysics.. we could be good friends. What do you do actually?

06:28 PM Jul 15 2009 |

mike_gwen

mike_gwen

Indonesia

What I see is the same sharia punishment all around the world. There’s also those lashes in Aceh (Indonesia), hanging punishment (in Iran). So what’s the differences between them?

06:35 PM Jul 15 2009 |